I wanted to share my thanksgiving leftover recipes with you starting with my thanksgiving leftover sandwich!
This creation can be made using classic Thanksgiving leftovers like mashed potatoes, gravy, cranberry sauce and slices of your leftover holiday roast. I reheated my vegan turkey cutlets on the barbeque for a delicious grilled taste, but you can heat up your slices however you want.
Related Article: Thanksgiving Leftovers Ideas
Every Thanksgiving I end up cooking enough food for a crowd and ending up with tons of leftovers, and there’s only so many times you can eat reheated plates of the same things.
This year, with even fewer people at my table and more leftover containers in my fridge than I know what to do with, I’m spicing things up with a Thanksgiving Leftovers Burger.
Thanksgiving Leftover Sandwich
This simple thanksgiving creation is a fun way to use up leftover dishes with a twist. In only 10 minutes, you can turn sad containers into a restaurant-quality burger.
You can add your mashed potatoes right onto the burger, but for this recipe, I’m going to show you how to turn them into hashbrowns or “round croquettes’ as a layer to the thanksgiving leftover sandwich.
INGREDIENTS FOR THANKSGIVING LEFTOVER SANDWICH:
- Leftover Vegan Roast or Protein
- Sandwich slices or Buns
- Leftover Cranberry Sauce
- Leftover Vegan Gravy
- Leftover Mashed Potatoes
Optional: If you want to turn your mashed potatoes into fried hashbrowns or round croquettes, you’ll also need:
FULL RECIPE DOWN BELOW
KITCHEN EQUIPMENT I USED:
Related Recipe: Best Vegan Thanksgiving Recipes
- 4 slices of leftover vegan holiday roast, schnitzel, veggie meatloaf, or whatever you have for vegan protein
- ¼ cup leftover cranberry sauce
- ⅓ cup leftover vegan gravy, heated
- 4 hamburger buns
- 1½ cup (roughly) leftover mashed potatoes
- You can use leftover mashed potatoes on your burger, or fry them into a hashbrown layer or round croquettes and I'll tell you how to make them. If you just want to make a simple thanksgiving leftover sandwich in 1 mins, just heat and combine all your leftovers into a sandwich.
- To make the hashbrown / croquette, add mashed potatoes to a large bowl. Then add flour, baking powder, garlic powder, and salt, and mix together until well combined. You can start with ½ cup flour and see if you need more flour based on how big your mashed potato portion is.
- Prep a lipped baking sheet with a wire cooling rack and place it next to your stove. If you do not own a wire cooling rack (you should get one lol) for excess oil/moisture to drip then you can use a plate & paper towel, but it won't result as crispy so definitely recommend wire cooling rack.
- Heat about 1 cup of oil (about ¼ depth) in a pan over medium-high heat. Test the oil by adding a bit of the potato mixture-- it should sizzle right away.
- Using a ¼ cup measuring cup or an ice cream scoop, flatten and form the dough into discs with your fingers.
- Cook them in the oil until nicely browned and crispy, about 3-4 mins, flip and cook for another 3-4 mins, or until the second side is also nicely browned and crispy. Allow excess oil to drip off into the pan, and place cooked hasbrowns/croquettes onto a wire cooling rack, and repeat with the remaining potato mixture.
- Preheat pan/grill/BBQ to medium-high to heat up your leftover thanksgiving protein.
- Brush with oil and place the protein onto your grill or pan and cook until heated about 2 mins per side.
- Toast your sandwich slices or buns
- Spread some cranberry sauce on the bottom of each bun, and place the grilled protein.
- On top of that, stack your mashed potato patty, and drizzle with gravy. Add the top bun and serve leftover sides or repurposed leftover sides like my cranberry-glazed veggie skewers.
Hey I’m Candice aka The Edgy Veg – I veganize popular food recipes for vegans, plant-based diets, eco-conscious eaters & people who are trying to eat more plants over… y’know animals or their by-products. I hope you enjoy this tasty vegan recipe!
Looking For More Vegan Holiday Recipes?
- Best Vegan Thanksgiving Recipes
- Vegan Roast
- Vegan Ricotta Toasts
- Vegan Challah Bread
- Vegan Cornbread
Made this recipe? Let me know what you think by leaving a ★★★★★ star rating & comment below. It truly helps me & I really appreciate any support! Feel free to share your food photos on social and tag me @edgyveg so I don’t miss it!