This vegan cornbread chili pie recipe can be made in 55 mins using cornbread as the pie and chili as the filling! Why have a chili pie with cornbread on the side when you can make both all in a skillet!
If you’re looking for a weekday dinner for the family, this meaty and filling vegan chili cornbread pie is perfect. If you follow my recipe using a skillet, it also becomes a one-dish dinner which makes it easier to clean up after dinnertime. This was inspired by Reese Witherspoon’s non-vegan cornbread chili pie!
I personally used the plant-based ground from Meatless Farm Co for this recipe since it was gifted to me when I was recipe developing with them. I love this product but if their ground isn’t available to you, feel free to use any plant-based minced meat for this recipe! As always, I am always 100% honest with my reviews and vegan recommendations, and would never work with anyone I did not agree with.
Related Recipe: Vegan Cheeseburger Macaroni Skillet
Vegan Cornbread Chili Pie
DAIRY-FREE | VEGAN | GLUTEN-FREE OPTIONAL
This cornbread chili pie is not only meat-free and dairy-free, but it’s also gluten-free (if you sub a gluten-free flour alternative)!
VEGAN CORNBREAD CHILI PIE INGREDIENTS
This recipe will include the following ingredients:
- olive oil
- cremini mushrooms
- Plant-based ground round (click here for more info on the one I used)
- Taco or chili-seasoning mix
- Diced tomatoes
- Tomato paste
- Kidney beans
- Black beans
- Corn kernels
- Sea salt & black pepper
- Fine-ground cornmeal
- All-purpose flour (or gluten-free alternative)
- Baking powder
- Cayenne or chili powder
- Soy milk
- Vegan-friendly margarine (or coconut oil)
FULL RECIPE DOWN BELOW
Vegan Cornbread Chili Pie Recipe
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium cooking onion, finely chopped
- 2 cups cremini mushrooms, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb Meatless Farm Co. plant-based mince
- 1 packet (2 tbsp) taco or chili-seasoning mix
- 1-14oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1-14oz can kidney beans with liquid
- 1-14oz can black beans with liquid
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup frozen corn kernels
- Sea salt & black pepper to taste
- 1 cup fine-ground cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp cayenne or chili powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 3 tbsp aquafaba
- 1 cup soy milk
- ¼ cup melted vegan-friendly margarine(or coconut oil)
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Over medium heat, heat 2 tbsp olive oil in a 12-inch cast iron skillet.
- Add add onions,mushrooms, and garlic and cook, stirring, until onions are translucent, and mushrooms are browned slightly, 5-7 mins.
- Add Meatless Farm Co. Mince and seasoning mix, and cook, breaking up the mince with your spoon.
- Stir in tomatoes, tomato paste, kidney and black beans, 1 cup water, and corn, cook, stirring until heated through.Taste and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk together cornmeal, AP flour, baking powder, cayenne or chili powder, and ¼ tsp salt.
- In another bowl, whisk together aquafaba, soy milk, melted vegan margarine.
- Add wet ingredients to the bowl with the dry corn mixture, and stir to combine.Set aside.
- Level out the chili mixture in the cast-iron skillet to ensure it has a flat and uniform top. Then, pour the corn-batter mixture over-top the leveled chili mixture. Ensure to cover the entire surface. You could not be able to see any of the chili mixture, it should resemble a shepherds pie.
- Transfer the skillet pie to your preheated oven and bake for 25-35 minutes, until golden brown and a toothpick inserted into topping comes out clean. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
- Serves with optional toppings.
Hey, I’m Candice & welcome to The Edgy Veg! I veganize popular food recipes for vegans, plant-based diets, eco-conscious eaters & people who are trying to eat more plants over… y’know animals or by-products of animals. I hope you enjoy this tasty vegan recipe!
LOOKING FOR MORE MEATLESS RECIPES?
- Vegan Cheeseburger Macaroni Skillet
- Vegan Sausage Gnocchi
- Vegan Pepperoni Pizza
- Vegan KFC Popcorn Chicken
If you make this Vegan Cornbread Chili Pie recipe, let me know what you think by leaving a star rating & comment below. It truly helps me & I really appreciate any support! Feel free to share your food creation on social and tag me @edgyveg on your photo so I don’t miss it!