Related Recipes: Vegan Taco Bell Recipes
Sour cream, the name that kinda sounds gross right? Well, at least it should sound gross. It’s cream, that’s… sour? So does that mean it’s going bad? What makes the cream sour?
Well my lovely veggie friends, sour cream is made out of a cream that contains up to 20 percent butterfat. It gets its characteristic sour-tang from the lactic acid created by the bacteria that has been added to the cream to ferment the product…
Commercially produced sour cream often contains additional thickening agents such as rennet (yuck), gelatin (gross), guar, and carrageen (barf), as well as acids to artificially sour the product. That doesn’t sound like something I am interested in… you?
All of this being said, I had to share my plant-based version of sour cream for all my vegan and dairy-free friends out there who don’t have access to store-bought vegan sour cream! Let me know what you think of it!
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked overnight and rinsed well
- ¼ cup water
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1-2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- ½ -1 lemon juiced
- Drain and rinse your soaked raw cashew really, really well!
- Place all ingredients in a high-speed blender and blend until smooth.
- Slowly add more lemon juice to taste, and water until desired consistency is reached.