Feta Cheese Recipe VEGAN
UPDATE: Click here for my Newest Feta Cheese Recipe!
I love, no, I LOVE salty foods. Maybe this is why cheese had anyways been my favorite side dish. The saltier the better, and feta is exactly that. Is there anything better than brine? Well there is to me now…
This vegan feta recipe is salty and delicious just like feta; you can make it raw (simply by pulsing the mixture instead of creaming it) or cook it for a fun snack. Crumble it on your salads; use it in your spanakopita…. Eat it with a spoon, whatever it is that you are into.
What makes this vegan cheese so flavorful and salty is not brine.. oh no, instead I used olive juice.. I know, so simple right!?
- 3 cups raw cashews, soaked overnight, drained and rinsed well
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- ¼ cup kalamata olive juice
- 4-6tbs olive oil
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp Himalayan rock salt
- Coconut oil, for cooking
- Blend all of your ingredients in a high-speed blender or food processor until smooth and creamy.
- Hang a nut mylk bag or cheesecloth over a wide mouth jar, bowl or colander and pour in your cheese mixture.
- Form some sort of ball shape and secure your bag, or cloth with an elastic band.
- Let the ball shaped mixture drain over your bowl overnight. This will promote fermentation.
- You can consume it as is or...
- A day later, preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease up a pan with coconut oil and place the cheese ball on it.
- Drizzle some coconut oil over the top of your ball before baking it for about 45 minutes or until the ball is firm and golden.
- Remove from the oven and cool.
- After it is cool you are able to crumble it like feta.
- Use this vegan feta in spanakopita, salads or with crackers as a wonderful salty treat!!
Leave a comment