Best Vegan Feta Cheese | Easy Vegan Substitute for Feta Cheese

By September 17, 2019Vegan Recipes

One of the toughest things to find is the best vegan replacement for something… especially cheese. When I’m looking for vegan feta cheese, I want it to be a salty, crumbly, creamy, feta cheese. And so I went ahead and created my own! And my goodness, it’s the best vegan feta cheese!The Best vegan feta

This Vegan Feta Cheese recipe is a healthy, easy to make & also affordable. It’s best for vegans, especially those with nut or gluten allergies,  vegetarians or dairy-free eaters.

Always remember the motto friends, (vegan) feta cheese is the better cheese! This recipe was inspired by the vegan feta from a restaurant in Toronto called Virtuous Pie. This feta cheese goes extremely well on my Watermelon Feta Salad or on top of my Mexican Street corn recipe.

Feel free to share & print my recipe below to make your own Best Vegan Feta Cheese! Or you can watch me on YouTube show you how to make it!The Best vegan feta

Related Recipe: Vegan Nacho Cheese Dip

Hi, I’m Candice & welcome to The Edgy Veg! Where I veganize popular food recipes for vegans, plant-based diets, eco-conscious eaters & people who are trying to eat more plants over… y’know animals or by-products of animals.

This recipe is part of my 3-Recipe Series on Making Vegan Cheese from TOFU! Check out these other vegan cheese recipes: Vegan Nacho Cheese & Vegan Mozzarella Cheese.

How To Make: The Best Vegan Feta Cheese

Never miss a video by clicking here to Subscribe to my Channel

If you want to view or print the recipe card, just scroll down for the full list of ingredients & simple instructions on how to make the Best Vegan Feta Cheese.

Prep this recipe in 10 minutes and leave to set overnight in the fridge for use all week on potatoes, pizza, greek salad, homemade spanakopita and anything else your cheesy heart desires.

INGREDIENTS FOR BEST VEGAN FETA CHEESE

INSTRUCTIONS FOR BEST VEGAN FETA CHEESE

1. To start, place tofu, nutritional yeast, miso paste, coconut oil, lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, salt and onion powder in a blender and puree until very smooth, scraping down the sides.
  2. It gets quite thick, so you will need to help it along with a damper or wooden spoon. Be patient- this vegan feta will be worth it. Keep blending until it’s a smooth, silky texture. Taste and salt as needed.
  3. Place tofu mixture into a sealable Tupperware container or bowl. Cover and place in the fridge, allow it to firm up overnight.
  4. Cut into feta-like cubes, or use a spoon to scrape out the feta and top salads, use in spanakopita, or spread on crackers or bread.

NOTE: line your bowl or Tupperware with plastic wrap or parchment if you plan on cutting it into feta-like cubes for ease of release.

Ta-Da! Creamy Vegan Feta Cheese!

If you want more vegan recipes, click here for my newest recipes.

The Best vegan fetaRelated Recipe: Tofu Mozzarella

Recipe for The Best Vegan Feta Cheese

Best Vegan Feta Cheese | Easy Vegan Substitute for Feta Cheese

When I'm looking for vegan feta cheese, I want it to be a salty, crumbly, creamy, feta cheese. And so I went ahead and created my own! And my goodness, it's the best vegan feta cheese!
Recipe type: Cheese
Cuisine: Greek
Serves: Roughly 1½ cups
  1. Place tofu, nutritional yeast, miso, coconut oil, lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, salt and onion powder in a blender and puree until very smooth, scraping down the sides.
  2. It gets quite thick, so you will need to help it along with a damper or wooden spoon. This may take some time, let it blend.
  3. Taste and salt as needed.
  4. Place tofu mixture into a sealable Tupperware or bowl. Cover and place in the fridge to firm up overnight.
  5. Cut into feta-like cubes, or use a spoon to scrape out the feta and top salads, use in spanakopita, or spread on crackers or bread.

___________

You guys must try the Best Vegan Feta Cheese & let me know what you think! Once you try it, come back and leave me a comment below with your feedback and star rating! If you make this, let me see on social! Tag @edgyveg on your photo & add the hashtag #edgyveg in your caption so I don’t miss it!

Share this Best Vegan Feta Cheese Recipe on Pinterest

PINTEREST Vegan Feta CheeseFor more easy, delicious vegan recipes, check out the links below!

• Amanda says:

I’ve now made this twice and it’s so good! The first time I pressed my tofu for only an hour and the feta still turned out creamy yet crumbly just like dairy based feta. I used this on top of a cheeseless pizza I ordered (as there was no vegan cheese option) and it made the pizza so much better! Thank you for this amazing recipe!

• Paula Videla-Rodriguez says:

OMG, I looooove this recipe! I have made this Vegan Feta 3X times now but since I am a bit of a newbie, it always came out creamy, still delish, instead of crumbly and I couldn’t figure out why…..(had no idea that “pressing” your tofu was a thing! I had to look that up!) Just pressed my tofu for the 1st time and but that baby in the fridge so hoping it comes out crumbly in the morning! Love love the simplicity and affordability of your recipes Candice! Thank you so much! (Still licking the spatula from tonight’s batch!)

• Josh S. says:

We’ve missed feta in one of our favorite recipes (Zucchini Ankara) since going vegan about 10 years ago. I made this recipe and it was by far the best vegan feta we’ve found so far! I’ve also put it into Just Egg omelettes for my wife and she says it’s very tasty. I wanted the feta to be very crumbly so I was very aggressive about squeezing out the moisture from the tofu block and I think that made a difference — the texture was just what we wanted. Thank you for this!!

• Patricia says:

Do you press your tofu before using it in the recipe?

Yes, I always press my tofu

• Lucy Tovar says:

Wish I would have read your comment before I made this! You didn’t say to press the tofu, so I didn’t and now my feta has been in the fridge overnight and it still has a very creamy texture. 🙁 The flavor is good, but I wanted crumbly feta! At least I’ll know for next time that if I press it the recipe will work better. Thanks!

• Elien says:

I used vegan butter (Alpro brand) instead of the coconut oil and it turned out great! It wasn’t really feta-like, but more like a spreadable cream cheese. Delicious on toast or a bagel, or as a dip. Thank you, Candace!

• Lane says:

Hi there, just made with unrefined coco oil as it was all I had. It certainly has a distinct flavour but I was still very happy.
    My main question is how long do you think it will keep in the fridge?
    Thanks

I’m so glad you’re happy with this recipe! I typically leave it in the fridge for 7-9 days. But it rarely lasts that long in my house, we eat it up quickly.

• Leigh Anne Hood says:

So I didn’t have coconut oil, so I subbed in olive oil, and oh boy is this yummy! This is a perfect white chedder sauce. It’s awesome for mac n cheese. It’s soft and creamy. Thank you for posting this recipe.

• Olga says:

Hello,
    I tried this recipe last night. The taste is great, but my Feta did not firm up as much as I thought it would. It turned out to be more like a soft paste. It has been in the fridge for over 12 hours now.
    Is there anything you think I might have done wrong or anything I could do to fix it?
    Thank you!

It could be that you didn’t press your tofu enough, I press mine overnight. Or you may have not put enough coconut oil. Although the way you have it now it should work out to be a good cream cheese!

• Catherine says:

I’m a Greek vegan who has been waiting for a feta recipe that hit all the marks for me, and this recipe does exactly that. You can roughly slice it or crumble it and it has the same melt-in-your-mouth feel that I remember from my pre-vegan days. So far I’ve tried using it in 3 recipes and it’s performed well in all of them… and yes, I have been snacking on it straight out of the fridge, too. Thank you EdgyVeg!

• Sabina says:

Hi Candice – this looks great and I can’t wait to try – i’m from the middle-east so and a block of tofu here is 300 grams – is that the right amount for this recipe? also – what will happen if I use unrefined coconut oil? – this is all that is available in my area – will it be very noticable in taste?

I believe the block of tofu I used was 350g. If you use unrefined coconut oil you may still have a distinct coconut taste in your feta cheese.

• Ryan says:

K so this was the first vegan cheese I made from your 3 vegan cheese series and WOW! This is so creamy and honestly addictive LOL it’s that good! It’s more creamy than i thought it would be and it spreads so well on crackers and bagels; I’ve been having it all morning this week it’s so good and highly recommend others make this cheese first!