Vegan Mozzarella Cheese | Dairy-Free & Nut-Free Mozzarella Recipe

By September 17, 2019Vegan Recipes

I was going to make a pun about vegan mozzarella but it was too cheesy. SO instead, I’m going to share my Vegan Mozzarella Cheese recipe! Vegan Mozzarella Pizza

I love cheese, grew up eating cheese and use to eat entire meals of just cheese. Melty, gooey, so good on pizza, pasta, with crackers, on sandwiches, you can never run out of things to make cheesy. After 9 years of being vegan, vegan cheese has gotten so much better and has basically replaced traditional cheese styles, including mozzarella!

This Vegan Mozzarella recipe is healthy, easy to make & very affordable. It’s best for vegans, especially those with nut or gluten allergies, vegetarians or dairy-free eaters.

If you want to have a mozzarhella good day, make this cheese and use it in every meal you make. From my vegan lasagna recipe to my dill pickle pizza, you can use this mozzarella on any of your favourite dishes.

Feel free to share & print my recipe below to make your own Vegan Mozzarella Cheese! Or you can watch me on YouTube show you how to make it!

Nut-Free Mozzarella Recipe
Related Recipe: Best Vegan Feta Cheese

Hi, I’m Candice & welcome to The Edgy Veg! Where I veganize popular food recipes for vegans, plant-based diets, eco-conscious eaters & people who are trying to eat more plants over… y’know animals or by-products of animals.

This recipe is part of my 3-Recipe Series on Making Vegan Cheese from TOFU! Check out these other vegan cheese recipes: Vegan Feta Cheese & Vegan Nacho Cheese.

How To Make: Vegan Mozzarella Cheese

Never miss a video by clicking here to Subscribe to my Channel

If you want to view or print the recipe card, just scroll down for the full list of ingredients & simple instructions on how to make Vegan Mozzarella Cheese.

Mozzarella might be the most versatile type of cheese. I use this on pizza, in pasta dishes, in a grilled cheese, or just simply with some crackers and fruits on a charcuterie board.Vegan Mozzarella

Related Recipe: Vegan Nacho Cheese

INGREDIENTS FOR VEGAN MOZZARELLA CHEESE

INSTRUCTIONS FOR VEGAN MOZZARELLA CHEESE

1. To start, place tofu, soy milk, white miso, nutritional yeast, tapioca starch, salt and garlic powder in a blender and puree until very smooth. It may be runny but it will cook and reduce to a more firm texture.
  2. Place cheese mixture into a saucepan and cook over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, until it thickens and starts to look like dough. This takes about 5 to 10 minutes.
  3. Transfer your cheese ball into a bowl or container to cool.
  4. Use right away on pizza, or in any recipe where you require the mozzarella to be pliable. If not using right away, store in the fridge, or use your hands to form balls and store them in a brine made of salt dissolved into water; good for up to 3 days.

Voila! Gooey Vegan Mozzarella Cheese!

If you want more vegan recipes, click here for my newest recipes.Vegan Mozzarella CheeseRelated Recipe: Vegan Lasagna

Recipe for Vegan Mozzarella Cheese

Vegan Mozzarella Cheese

Recipe type: Cheese
Cuisine: Italian
Serves: Roughly 1 cup
  1. In a blender combine tofu, soy milk, white miso, nutritional yeast, tapioca starch, salt and garlic powder and blend on high until smooth.
  2. Pour the tofu mixture into a saucepan and cook over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, until it thickens and starts to look like dough, about 5 to 10 minutes.
  3. Transfer to a bowl or container to cool.
  5. If not using right away, store in the fridge, or use your hands to form balls and store them in a brine for up to 3 days.

___________

You guys must try the Vegan Mozzarella Cheese & let me know what you think! Once you try it, come back and leave me a comment below with your feedback and star rating! If you make this, let me see on social! Tag @edgyveg on your photo & add the hashtag #theedgyveg in your caption so I don’t miss it!

Share this Vegan Mozzarella Cheese Recipe on Pinterest

PINTEREST Vegan Mozzarella CheeseFor more easy, delicious vegan recipes, check out the links below!

• Jiokga says:

Can I skip miso paste? Haven’t any. 🙁

• cosmicemo says:

Does it work without miso paste?

• Sarrina says:

I am a new vegan and tried this twice. Both times it never really thickened into a dough ball, but more like a nacho style cheese. The first time I used almond milk and kept at it for a good 15 minutes and decided the entire thing may reduce to zero so stopped and used on pasta. Thinking almond milk was just not thick enough I tried again with soymilk and had the same result (both were delicious and liked flavor with almond best). Is there something I am doing wrong in the process? Could the heat be too high (or too low)? I used Sprouts Market nutritional yeast (flakes – is that any different from another?) and Bob’s Red Mill tapioca flour (which says “also known as tapioca starch”). Thanks!

• Tahwa says:

Can you share the pizza recipe in the picturea what is the base you used for your pizza is it basil pesto

• Steph says:

I wanted to like this recipe because cashews are expensive. didn’t like the flavor of this and the consistency was off. i added more tapioca than the recipe called for and let it reduce for 15 minutes.

• Hannah says:

Thank you so much for these recipes! Nuts can be so expensive! Would you consider making a version of cream cheese without nuts or oils?
    Also, can your mozarella cheese be frozen?
    Thank you!

• How meltable is this cheese? I’m not vegan but want to have cheeses I can make for recipes for vegan friends. I cannot eat tree-nut based foods. I’d like to make foods for all of us to consume that we can all eat, that are not filled with non-food additives.

• Mel says:

I’m going to try this with oat milk. I just know when I warm up homemade oat milk it gets really goopy/clumpy, so it might not work out… ?

I always use soy milk to make this because of the high protein it really comes together. I’ve never tried with oat milk but if you do, please let us know how it works out for you!

• Brenda says:

Is it possible to use full fat coconut milk instead of soy? Allergic to soy

I have only tried this recipe with soy milk but coconut milk will leave a coconut flavour. I’d recommend testing with cashew or oat milk, something thick with as much protein as possible.

• Malin Pegenius says:

Could i use agar agarpowder instead of tapioca? I do not have tapioca.
    Looks amazing! 😋

I haved never tried it! BUT, if you do, let me know how it worked out!

• malin says:

I do not think it worked.:( But maybe I took not the right amount of agar agar powder. I took 1 tbsp (read somewhere that you should use 1 tbsp agar agar powder in 2.5 dl of water).
        It got to rinny and when I put it in the “brine” they seems to just disolve a little bit. Well, I will taste them tomorrow.
        I found it very difficult to make my own “cheese” (been trying a couple of times /different recepies but not really happy with them…..)

• Nelli says:

Bro.. this recipe is magic. I just made it to make a sort of pasta carbonara! Just didn’t let the sauce thicken up as much as you normally would and added black pepper and some vegan butter. Plus some veggie italian sausage 😛 Perfectly thick and creamy!

• Ryan says:

This cheese was really good on homemade pizza I made last night and would recommend making to put on pizza.

• Bianca says:

Hi Candice, I have tried this recipe a couple of times and could not get the “cheese” to thicken up to the point where it formed a ball. I have made vegan cheese out of cashews and I was able to get that consistency but for whatever reason I can’t make it thicker than sort of a nacho dip. Any ideas why?

• Lyndsay says:

For the mozzarella balls, what proportion of water to salt do you advise for the brine? Thanks, Candice and team!!

• carrie says:

Just made it, and it was very tasty! This is going to be my go-to cheese subsitute pizzas from now on. Put it on top of TJs kale & broccoli crust, with sliced tomatoes and fresh basil. It was the perfect amount of cheese for that size of crust, which is basically a personal sized-pizza. Non-veg boyfriend also loved it. We’re inspired by the pic in the recipe (sauteed mushrooms and pesto), so making that next!

• Marcello says:

Great video! Very great presentation. I really enjoy all your recipes, which are delivered with an excellent sense of humour. Thank you for all your efforts.

Thank you Marcello! Really appreciate your comment <3 It's comments like this that really motivate me to keep making recipes and videos so thank you for taking the time to comment!