Looking for an easy vegan bechamel sauce recipe for lasagna or any pasta dish? You’ve come to the right website for delicious vegan recipes!This recipe is all about Easy & Creamy Bechamel Sauce that’s perfect for vegans, vegetarians or dairy-free allergies!
It may sound fancy but this Vegan Bechamel Sauce is comparable to the traditional French sauce made with a butter, flour and milk base.
Bechamel sauce is often the base that holds together dishes like mac and cheese, lasagna, gratins, and more. This vegan version is just as rich and creamy!
My bechamel sauce is perfect for my vegan lasagna recipe, but also great to use on anything your vegan heart desires (like pasta dishes).
Feel free to share & print my recipe below to make your own Vegan Bechamel Sauce recipe! Or you can watch me on YouTube show you how to make it!
Related Recipe: Vegan Lasagna
Hi, I’m Candice & welcome to The Edgy Veg! Where I veganize popular food recipes for vegans, plant-based diets, eco-conscious eaters & people who are trying to eat more plants over… y’know animals or by-products of animals.
How To Make: Vegan Bechamel Sauce
Never miss a video by clicking here to Subscribe to my Channel
If you want to view or print the recipe card, just scroll down for the full list of ingredients & simple instructions on how to make this Vegan Bechamel Sauce.
It’s quite easy to veganized Bechamel Sauce with a few simple swaps to maintain the flavour and creaminess with the following vegan recipe.
INGREDIENTS FOR EASY VEGAN BECHAMEL SAUCE RECIPE
- 1/4 cup vegan butter/margarine
- 1/4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 4 cups soy milk
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp salt
- Pinch ground nutmeg
INSTRUCTIONS FOR EASY VEGAN BECHAMEL SAUCE RECIPE
To start making my bechamel sauce, you’ll want to melt vegan butter in a medium pot over medium heat. Then, whisk in flour. You should begin to have a thick paste. Continue to cook, whisking constantly for 2 minutes to cook out the flour flavour.
Reduce heat to low and slowly whisk in 1 cup soy milk until well combined. Add the onion powder, salt, and nutmeg. Add remaining soy milk, 1 cup at a time, whisking constantly until the sauce is free of lumps. Then, increase heat back to medium and continue whisking sauce until it thickens, about 5 mins.
If you are using vegan parmesan or nutritional yeast (optional), add it in now, remove from heat, and whisk until melted. Taste & season with salt and pepper.
Voila! A Creamy Vegan Bechamel Sauce!
NOTES: If you want a thicker bechamel, whisk together 1 tbsp cornstarch with 1 tbsp water and add to the boiling bechamel, whisking constantly until thickened.
Recipe for Easy Vegan Bechamel Sauce
- In a medium pot, melt vegan butter over medium heat.
- Whisk in flour. You should have a thick paste.
- Cook, whisking constantly for 2 minutes to cook out the flour flavour.
- Reduce heat to low and slowly whisk in 1 cup soy milk until well combined.
- Add onion powder, salt, and nutmeg.
- Add the remaining soy milk, 1 cup at a time, whisking constantly until the sauce is free of lumps.
- Increase heat to medium and continue whisking sauce until it thickens, about 5 mins.
- If you are using vegan parmesan or nutritional yeast, add it in now, remove from heat, and whisk until melted.
- Taste & season with salt and pepper.
- If you want a thicker bechamel, whisk together 1 tbsp cornstarch with 1 tbsp water and add to the boiling bechamel, whisking constantly until thickened.
Click here for New Vegan Recipes from The Edgy Veg.
You guys must try this easy vegan bechamel sauce & let me know what you think! Once you try it, come back and leave me a comment below with your feedback and star rating! If you make this, let me see on social! Tag @edgyveg on your photo & add the hashtag #theedgyveg in your caption so I don’t miss it!
Share this Bechamel Sauce Recipe on Pinterest
For more easy, delicious vegan recipes, check out the links below!
- Best Vegan Lasagna
- Vegan Creamy Mushroom Pasta
- Creamy Corn Chowder Recipe
- High Protein Vegan Ground Beef