A few years ago I went to a football game in Pittsburgh. Knowing nothing at all about football, I more or less drank my way through what seemed like a 4 hour ordeal, where 2 groups of men just ran around aggressively trying to hug one another. Let’s just say, I am not one for sport. I was never very athletic growing up, and I don’t understand anything football-related at all — unless of course it’s European football or Soccer as we north americans call it. I may not be into sport, but I sure am into the foods that surround these noisy, testosterone-fueled events.
Like Nachos. Nachos are the best. No seriously, they are actually like the best food. Everyone like nachos; which is great for vegan nachos, because this cheese sauce isn’t trying to be cheese, it’s trying to be that fun gooey cheese sauce from a packed football stadium; which, let’s face it, isn’t, actually, really, cheese at all.
Nachos are such a simple and crowd-pleasing snack, that is totally customizable for any flavour palette. I prefer the traditional Tex Mex style nachos, mainly because I love Mexican-inspired dishes. This dish is the easiest thing to make for a party ever, and no one cares if it only took you 12 minutes to prepare.
- Boil the carrots and the potatoes until they are soft, this should take roughly 20 minutes.
- Blend the potatoes and carrots together in a blender until very smooth.
- Add remaining ingredients until the cheese is very smooth, adding more of the reserved water as necessary until desired consistency is reached.
- Season to taste with salt, cayenne and paprika
- Prepare the vegan Nacho Cheese.
- If you prepared it ahead of time, heat it up in a pot over medium heat stirring frequently.
- Spread out half of the tortilla chips onto a dish or serving tray.
- Add spoonfuls of refried beans to create dollops.
- Sprinkle minced vegan meat on top, and drizzle vegan nacho cheese.
- Add a second layer of nachos, add spoonfuls of refried beans and sprinkle on meat like you did on the first layer, along with a generous amount of cheese.
- Add jalapeños, green onions, and sprinkle of tomatoes.
- Top with cilantro for garnish and a dollop of vegan sour cream, and any remaining ingredients.