Best Vegan Lobster Roll

By June 18, 2020Vegan Recipes

Vegan Lobster Roll RecipeI’ve been testing my vegan lobster roll recipe for years now (it was originally supposed to be in my first cookbook!) and I’m so excited to finally share with you how to make the best vegan & vegetarian lobster roll using hearts of palm!

This vegan lobster roll recipe uses 10 simple ingredients to get the “lobster meat” seafood imitation and is served on a roll of your choice with some paprika!Vegan Lobster

While lobster rolls are popular along the east coast of Canada & US, I wanted to make it easy to make a cruelty-free version of a lobster roll recipe for vegans and vegetarians who might have grown up eating them. Perhaps there’s someone out there looking to switch to plant-based but still eats lobster? Try this recipe as a lobster-less replacement 🙂

If you’re looking for a fun summer recipe using plant-based ingredients, this vegan seafood lobster roll recipe is for you! I’ve heard a lot of feedback saying this lobster salad mixture also satisfied many seafood cravings and 100% worth trying!

Related Recipe: Vegan Fish and Chips

VEGAN LOBSTER ROLL

VEGAN | FISH-FREE | GLUTEN-FREE

What’s great about this simple vegan recipe is that it uses many of the same seasoning ingredients as a traditional lobster roll; Old Bay seasoning, celery, onions, paprika, lemon juice, and mayo (vegan mayo obviously).

By swapping lobster for chopped canned hearts of palm, this recipe can be prepared a day in advance (to allow veggies to marinate with full flavour) and can be quickly scooped into a soft roll for an easy lunch that will satisfy the whole family. By itself, it’s also a creamy, crisp, fresh summer salad!Vegan Lobster Roll

What’s Vegan Lobster made of?

This vegan lobster is made of hearts of palm, which is a vegetable harvested from the cabbage palm tree.  It imitates many vegan seafood recipes (like calamari and crab) and even has a similar texture to lobster. It’s great because it doesn’t have a taste/smell of anything and absorbs the marinade flavour nicely. If you want a softer texture, you can also choose to pick out some of the harder bits of the palm hearts, but it’s up to you! This is truly a creative, yet delicious recipe to make at home.

Hearts of palm are a great vegan seafood alternative that is cheap, easy to find at the grocery store, and shelf-stable. They are typically served in salads or used as vegan seafood alternatives. When looking for a can of hearts of palm, please try to look for one that is ethically / sustainably sourced so we can all do our part for the environment while enjoying this veggie.

If you personally don’t like a “fishy” taste or don’t have access to seaweed at your local store, I’ve made it optional to add seaweed. If you do want to imitate the ocean taste of lobster for non-vegan friends and have access to buying seaweed sheets or seaweed granules, I recommend adding 1 tsp to the mixture to add that authentic ocean taste.

Related Recipe: Vegan CevicheVegan Seafood Recipe

INGREDIENTS FOR VEGAN LOBSTER ROLL:

To Serve:

Vegetarian Lobster RollKITCHEN EQUIPMENT I USED:

Full Recipe Measurements & Instructions are down below!

Vegan Lobster Roll

I'm so excited to share with you how to make vegan lobster using hearts of palm! This vegan lobster roll recipe uses 10 simple ingredients to make a creamy, crisp, fresh vegan seafood salad that sits beautifully in a soft roll. The longer you marinate the vegan lobster, the more flavourful it becomes.
Recipe type: Main
Cuisine: American
Serves: 4 rolls
To Serve:
  1. In a bowl, mix olive oil, Old Bay Seasoning, lemon juice and minced garlic. Add to bowl of chopped hearts of palm and marinate for as long as you can, overnight is best.
  2. To make the vegan creamy dressing, whisk the vegan mayonnaise and lemon juice in a bowl. Add chopped celery, red onion and herb of choice (dill or chives - I used fresh chives), and whisk until well combined. Optionally, you can add your seaweed granules into the dressing. Feel free to put the dressing in the fridge to firm up until you want to heat up your marinated hearts of palm.
  3. When you're ready to eat your lobster roll and the hearts of palm have had time to marinate, heat a non-stick pan over medium-high heat. Add the hearts of palm and marinade and sauté for 5-8 minutes, stirring occasionally. Cook until slightly brown on all sides. Set aside to cool.
  4. Add the cooked marinated hearts of palm “lobster” with the chilled dressing to coat.
  5. If you like soft buns, take melted vegan butter and brush it on the inside of the bun. The more butter, the tastier the lobster roll will be.
  6. For a toasted bun, heat a grill pan or skillet over medium heat. Brush the outside of the rolls with olive oil. Toast the buns until slightly golden, about 1 minute per side. Brush vegan butter on the inside of the bun.
  7. Divide the “lobster salad” among the buns. Feel free to add greens to the bun first and then top with the vegan lobster.
  8. Drizzle with additional vegan butter on top and a sprinkle of paprika, onion and/or chives. Voila! A delicious vegan lobster roll!
Nutrition Information
Serving size: 1 roll Calories: 601 Fat: 50g Carbohydrates: 26.25g Sugar: 5.5g Sodium: 1546mg Fiber: 2.75g Protein: 6.25 Cholesterol: 0mg

What goes with “Lobster” Rolls?

A traditional lobster roll would be served with a side of fries or fresh salad. If you’re looking for side dishes to pair with this “lobster” roll recipe, I’d recommend my creamy potato salad, macaroni salad, or vegan mac & cheese!

How To Use Vegan Lobster Salad

If you have leftover vegan lobster salad mixture, you could add it as a side to another meal, or even better, roll it into a vegan sushi roll or even fry up to make crab cake mix! It’s a very versatile vegan seafood salad!

Vegan Lobster RollEdgy Veg Lobster Roll RecipeI’m Candice & welcome to The Edgy Veg! I veganize popular food recipes for vegans, plant-based diets, eco-conscious eaters & people who are trying to eat more plants over… y’know animals or by-products of animals. I hope you enjoy this tasty vegan recipe!

Looking For More Vegan Seafood Dish Recipes?

If you make this recipe, let me know what you think by leaving a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ star rating & comment below. It truly helps me & I really appreciate any support! Feel free to share your food photos on social and tag me @edgyveg so I don’t miss it!

Share My Recipe on Pinterest!Vegan Lobster Roll

• bobbi says:

This was an awesome recipe! Very yummy and I’ll definitely make again!!

• Shaun Lockett says:

I made these for dinner tonight, and overall they were good, but the salt level was overpowering. Your recipes are always spot on, so I must have done something wrong.

I used Native Forest hearts of palm, and they have a lot of salt, as does the Old Bay. Their sodium level is 65mg per 1oz, or 910 mg in a 14 oz can.

• Karen Guy says:

Hearts of palm are non sustainable and kill the entire palm tree, just so people can us the centre or ‘heart’ of the tree.
    Could you try different plants like jackfruit maybe? I hear that it has a meaty like texture and you only use the fruit , not kill an entire tree.

Palm oil is also bad as it kills the entire tree too, I just thought that you should know this since there is so much deforestation due to demand for wood, food, clear cutting for farm land, medicinal use, etc.
    I respect what you are trying to do but I know there is a better and more sustainable way.
    Thank you.

I appreciate your concern. This recipe can be made with oyster or different types of mushrooms, banana blossoms, jackfruit or other plant-based ingredients!

• TiniLou says:

Made this for dinner tonight. My 9 year-old is vegan since birth, and he was pretty excited to try “lobster “. The recipe has a nice flavor, but 2 Tbsp of Old Bay is a bit much. I’ll half that the next time I make it. Also think it would be better chilled. Overall, a good recipe that my family really enjoyed. Thanks for sharing it.

• LaTosha Budde says:

OMG I made this last night and they were so good. These are definitely going on my weekly rotation for dinner. Will be making this again for sure

• LaTosha Budde says:

OMG These were fantastic. I made these tonight for dinner and oh my goodness they were so good. These are definitely going on my weekly rotation of dinners every week

• WendyZ says:

I think the main difference between a lobster roll and a po’ boy is that the po’ boy is usually fried seafood, but I could be wrong. I’ve never had either!
    This recipe looks so yummy! Gotta try it.

• Pauline says:

This was a great sandwich, I’ve never had the real thing so not sure if it was meant to be that tangy tasting, just added a small of maple to the filling and that worked. Thanks for introducing me palm hearts.

• Laura says:

I just made this and I’m totally blown away!! So good! Thank you!

• Connie Moultroup says:

Made this exactly as recipe says and it’s delicious!!! Thank you!!

• David says:

I absolutely love the idea of a vegan lobster roll and will try it soon, for sure. BTW, when is your next cookbook coming out? I have the first and love it and can’t wait.

• Allie says:

These are both making it onto this week’s dinner menu. Question about the hearts of palm, though? I’ve never tried them before. How do they compare to jack fruit for example? Not a fan of the jack fruit despite my best attempts to love it. I am happy to experiment and love to try new foods but I like to know what I am in for.

Hearts of palm have a unique, almost seafood-like texture. They don’t have much of a flavour on their own so they take on seasoning quite well and serve as a blank canvas. If using canned, rinse very well

• Ruchama says:

Since you cut the two halves from the hearts of palm into circles, would it be possible (if more labor intensive ) to use the pre-cut circles in this. Some times they are easier to find or all we have on hand.

• Mary says:

I tried these today and they were PERFECT. Marinated over night. Totally drool worthy. Thanks Candice !!!!

• Katie says:

I just made it and I thought it was a great lunch. I’m thinking of adding it to pasta as a noodle salad. The texture isn’t spot on for lobster, but the flavor and texture are great. The Old Bay gives that familiar flavor. It was really easy so I’ll try it again.

• BT says:

Absolutely loved this recipe!! Definitely helped satisfy my old seafood cravings! Will be making again and again!

• Ryan says:

Just made this tonight and it was actually super tasty and refreshing! Perfect for summer dish.

Is it exactly like lobster? No BUT you can’t 100% replace lobster. Thus was really close as a vegetable can get. The 2 tbsp of old bay seasoning made it have an extra kick (like the rim seasoning of a Caesar) that I wasn’t expecting, so if you don’t like a kick or for kids, try 1tbsp 🙂 I also added 1tbsp of Dulse seaweed granules (use in replacement of salt) and a dash of dill with the chives.

I marinated half for 30 mins and it still tasted delicious but Candice is right about marinating overnight! I’m leaving the other half marinating overnight and having for lunch tomorrow. I might add vegan butter to the marinade next time to make the “lobster” extra buttery when I fry it next time. Definitely making this again!

• Christine says:

Made this tonight. It’s delicious. Next time I’ll be using less mayo though. (I think my mayo’s consistancy was just a tad too thick.) Other than that, its phenomenal.

• Angela Prager says:

I am curious I saw that you said you have been testing this recipe for years. Have you tried Lions Maine. I find it to have a lobster like quality. If not, do you think it work in lieu of the Hearts of Palm?

• Gabrielle says:

I just made this with Lion’s mane and it was incredible! I only tossed them in the marinade for about 2 mins before cooking. Contrary to the original recipe, I think it’s best if the inside of the mushrooms doesn’t get fully permeated with the marinade. I thought they were absolutely incredible.

• Diane says:

As a proud east coaster, this is up there with the real thing

• Chelsea Miller says:

I loved this lobster roll recipe!! My family made lobster rolls for Father’s Day so I decided I would try to make a veg friendly version! It turned out extremely delicious and my non-vegan parents enjoyed it as well!

• Colleen Broccolo says:

I really enjoyed Vegan Lobster roll! I have no idea what the real ones taste like, but I’ve had lobster soup in Cuba and the taste was disgusting. These were amazing! Thank you for sharing the recipe

• Susan says:

I just got my old bay seasoning, fresh chives, hearts of palm and buns last night and made this and OMG its so good. I’ve only ever had a lobster roll once before I was vegan and don’t really know if it tastes the same but WOW this was tasty either way! My parents even enjoyed it! They felt it was a fresh summer recipe and would eat it again! I totally could just eat the salad mixture itself solo like a vegan seafood salad it was that good. Highly recommend anyone to try it even if you’ve never had lobster rolls before

• Colleen Broccolo says:

• John says:

OMG CANDICE! I’m upset it took you this long to come out with this but I’m pumped you finally did because I have been craving lobster for three years now!