Best Vegan Breakfast Burrito
Oh boy! Another easy and yummy vegan breakfast recipe! It’s your lucky day, veggies, my mission to create yummy, not boring vegan breakfast and brunch options is coming together nicely, don’t you think? We now have a lovely arsenal of both sweet and savory dishes to enjoy on a hung-over, but bright, Saturday morning with our sweethearts. When it comes to breakfast, I tend to enjoy the more savory options. I love a thick and sweet green smoothie every day, but on the weekend, I want salty, comforting brunch food.
James and I make these breakfast burritos almost every weekend. I often make them for dinner and lunch too. Is there anything better than breakfast for dinner?! We don’t think so. James loves these burritos and will have the vegan version, but often he buys in non-vegan ingredients and creates his own version of this bad-boy. I’m okay with half the time. Life is all about compromise, after-all, right?
I have made this with both versions of my tofu scramble, but I recently tried out The Vegg Scramble Mix and I think it is perfect for a recipe like this. On it’s own, I don’t quite get that egg-like feel from it, but in a burrito the taste and consistency is uncanny! It’s also high in protein, which for me, means that I will feel fuller for much longer, than if I skipped protein in the morning—which I do often- whoops!
The beauty of this recipe is that you can just throw it together on a whim. I often just throw it together based on the ingredients I have in my fridge and in my pantry. We always have the ingredients required for Mexican-style meals in our home (since we’re obsessed) so Mexican for breakfast is totally doable and acceptable around here.
What is your favourite breakfast dish? Do you have a dish that you used to eat before you went vegan and would love to eat again? Leave me a comment and let me know what it is! If you want to learn more about The Vegg Scramble Mix, click here.
- 3 Tbsp The Vegg Vegan Scramble
- ¾ cup unsweetened soy milk (one with 9g of protein/cup is best)
- 1 tsp The Vegg Yolk
- ¼ cup water
- 1 can black beans
- 3 Tbsp Taco Seasoning
- 1 cup of your favourite vegan meat, chopped
- ½ cup cup vegan shredded Monterey Jack or cheddar cheese
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled, pitted and sliced
- 2 jalapeño peppers
- ¼ cup cilantro, chopped
- Your favourite salsa
- Hot sauce, optional
- 4 large soft flour tortillas
- Heat a cast iron pan over medium high heat.
- Wash & dry your jalapeño peppers and place on the pan.
- Cook for about 3-5 minutes on each side, until you get a nice char.
- When all 4 sides are cooked, remove from heat, place onto a cutting board and finely chop.
- Set aside until all burrito elements are completed.
- Drain beans from canned water and place into a saucepan.
- Heat beans over medium-high heat.
- Add taco seasoning to taste and mix well.
- When Beans are heated lightly mash, using a potato masher or a fork. You want the beans to be 50% mashed and 50% whole. Mix to combine the two.
- Keep heated until you are ready to build your burrito.
- Heat a non-stick pan over medium-high heat for about 3 minutes. Do not add any oil or cooking spray, you want this to be a dry pan.
- Blend The Vegg Vegan Egg Yolk with water until well combined and set aside.
- In a bowl whisk The Vegg Scramble Mix with unsweetened soy milk for about 30 seconds until it froths up.
- Pour The Vegg Scramble mixture onto the heated pan and turn down heat to medium-low.
- Cook for roughly 10 minutes until it begins to look like a firm curd.
- Pour the The Vegg Vegan Yolk on top of the now curded mixture and mix.
- Cook until desired consistency is reached, about 5 more minutes.
- When desired consistency is reached sprinkle on some of your vegan cheese, and vegan deli meat, and cook until cheese has melted, and the deli meat is warmed and slightly crispy.
- Remove from heat.
- Heat a dry skillet over medium-high heat.
- Sprinkle some vegan cheese onto each tortilla.
- Top with a couple spoonfuls of beans, and line with some sliced avocado.
- Layer on some salsa and a layer of vegan scrambled eggs.
- Top with chopped jalapeños and cilantro and season, to taste, with hot sauce.
- Roll up burrito-style.
- Place the burrito onto the dry hot skillet and cook both sides and the ends until slightly toasted. This will help your burrito stay together!
Want more vegan breakfast options? Check out my favourite vegan breakfast recipes…
Vegan Eggs Benedict
Vegan Breakfast Poutine
Vegan Huevos Rancheros
Vegan Cranberry Scones
Easy Healthy Crepes
Vegan McDonald’s Series: Sausage Egg McMuffin
Vegetarian Breakfast Sausage Patty
Homemade Nutella Recipe
Best Breakfast Sandwich Ever!
Vegan Scrambled Eggs
Vegan Pancake Recipe
Milk Thistle Porridge
Goji-Apple Sunrise Granola
Vegan Breakfast Burrito
Chocolate Granola Recipe
Leave a comment