I am all about simple, and when I have to throw a party, simple is my one main rule. With Halloween around the corner, I am sure you’re brain is totally consumed trying to figure out what sexy, witty or internet-relevant costume you will be showing off to your pals this weekend. The last thing you have time for is to try and come up with some cray Halloween treats to serve at your scary soirée, am I right?
Well, not to worry, The Edgy Veg has got your back, babe. The struggle to be the perfect host AND look bomb dot com is very real. Forget the detailed decorating of finger foods and painful process of trying to plate everything in a spooky bit sexy way. All you need to make are a few simple but delicious cupcakes and throw, toss for spray some blood on ’em!
Nothing says Halloween like blood to make that your theme it’s easy, and effective. Plus, everyone loves cupcakes – right? Right.
- ¼ cup vegan margarine
- ¼ cup vegetable shortening (make sure it's vegan)
- 1¾ cups confectioners sugar
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp- 4 Tbsp almond milk, or your favourite milk of choice, as needed
- Beat the shortening and margarine together until well combined. It should be fluffy.
- Add the sugar and beat until whipped and light, about 3 mins.
- Add the vanilla and milk 2 tbsp at a time for about 7 minutes until it becomes fluffy and light.
- ½ cup soy yogurt
- ⅔ almond milk
- ¼ cup apple sauce
- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- ¾ cup organic granulated sugar
- 1½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1¼ cup organic flour
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- ¾ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- Vegan Buttercream Frosting (recipe above)
- 1 cup cherry preserves, strained, for blood garnish
- vegan red food colouring, Optional
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, whisk together first 6 ingredients.
- Sift your dry ingredients and mix together with the wet.
- Line your muffin pan with liners, and fill three-quarters full.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Transfer to a cooling rack and let cool completely.
- Once they are cool, frost the tops with fluffy buttercream frosting and drizzle with cherry preserves as blood, or drip vegan food colouring on top.
What do you think of my badass zombie make up? My friend came over to turn me into this grain eating vegan and I have to say I look pretty darn scary! I looked at myself in the mirror and scared the crap out of myself the first time, what are you dressing up as for halloween this year!