Vegan Scrambled Eggs.. uhh I mean Tofu

Candice Hutchings

The second most annoying question I get as a vegan is, “What do you eat for breakfast then?”

vegan scrambled eggs recipe

Who died, and became the breakfast God that declared, “We shall eat nothing but chicken fetus’s and bacon,” to start our days? In fact, breakfast is the most important meal of the day; it is meant to help you start your day off on the right foot. Eating heaps of unnecessary fat just does not scream healthy start does it?

My favorite breakfast includes; fresh fruit, scrambled tofu with homemade sriracha and sprouted bread with all natural peanut butter. Balanced, full of protein and cruelty free. Unless, I am lazy and on the run, then of course I stick to my Power Breakfast smoothie!

Vegan Tofu Scrambled Eggs

One of my favorite tofu recipes, tofu scramble. The perfect vegan breakfast.
Recipe type: Breakfast
Cuisine: American
Serves: 4
  • Coconut oil
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1 small onion, chopped
  • 1 package firm tofu (non GMO of course!)
  • 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
  • 2 tsp garlic powder
  • 1 pinch turmeric (for colour)
  • 1 tsp sea salt
  • ½ tsp pepper, and to taste
  • ¼ -1/2 cup water
  1. Heat a small amount of olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Saute onion and garlic until translucent. In a small bowl or blender, combine yeast, garlic powder, turmeric salt and pepper with enough water to make a sauce. Whisk until combined (no lumps please). Crumble tofu and add to the pan and cook for 3 minutes. Pour the sauce mixture onto your tofu and stir frequently until the liquid has evaporated.
Notes
Throw in your favorite chopped veggies for some crunch! My favorite is red and green peppers, tomato and mushrooms. Yumm
Screen Shot 2013-10-29 at 7.58.03 PM

• ginni says:

Just a biology lesson: eggs do not contain chicken foetuses – they are eggs discarded during ‘hen menstruation’, which occurs daily. Egg-laying hens never had sex. Fertilized eggs would be too expensive to discard.

• Karen says:

It doesn’t matter what eggs are… it’s the fact that the male chicks are all killed, in horrible ways like in a grinding machine whilst still alive, gassing, being dumped in plastic bags alive.

• Marcel says:

Hi Candice, thanks for another great video. I am quite fond of your fun and concise videos that are packed with hints and tips. I just finished baking and eating this scramble and really loved it (had it for lunch, together with some toast).

Best wishes and greetings from the Netherlands

• Megan says:

Hi, I was wondering if you press the tofu to get the water out. If so, how do you do it? Thanks!!
    Megan

Hi Megan!

I don’t usually for this recipe mainly because I’m not that prepared 😉 haha. But when I press my tofu I put it between 2 plates and pile a stack of books on top.

• tahrey says:

Why not cereal, or toast?

• tahrey says:

(Though I do admit this looks pretty interesting and may have to give it a whirl)

Please do! It is delicious.

• Michelle says:

I just made these right now and they were delicious! The black pepper is a must-have and the nutritional yeast gives it a really nice savory flavor. It might smell iffy right out the bottle but add it to any recipe and it just gives food a nice taste!
        I won’t say it tastes like eggs but from other tofu scramble reciped I’ve seen, a lot of people have said that adding black salt really helps sell the illusion that it’s eggs ’cause they’re so sulphuric like real eggs!

That gets old pretty quick…