An easy dairy-free tomato sauce recipe you can make at home! Using 4-5 simple ingredients, you can make tomato sauce dairy-free using crushed tomatoes (or passata), dairy-free butter, onion and sugar.
It literally takes about 45 min to simmer your pasta sauce but trust me, it’s worth it!
Related Recipe: Vegan Creamy Tomato Pasta Sauce
Dairy-Free Tomato Sauce
This dairy-free tomato sauce is also vegan and offers a rich and tangy taste, perfect for pasta dishes and as a base for various culinary creations.
To make this, combine tomatoes, dairy-free butter, and sliced onion halves in a medium saucepan to simmer on medium heat for about 45 mins, stirring occasionally. Stir in sugar, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Remove the onion halves, then serve with pasta or transfer to a jar and store in the fridge until needed.
Related Post: Dairy-free Ricotta Cheese
INGREDIENTS FOR TOMATO SAUCE (VEGAN):
- Passata or Crushed Tomatoes
- Dairy-Free Butter
KITCHEN EQUIPMENT I USED:
- 2 cups crushed tomatoes or passata
- ½ cup dairy-free butter
- 1 onion, peeled and cut in half
- ½ tsp sugar
- In a medium saucepan, combine tomatoes, dairy-free butter, and both onion halves. Season with salt to taste.
- Bring to a simmer over medium heat. Cook, uncovered, for about 45 minutes. Stirring occasionally as needed.
- Stir in sugar, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove the onion halves, then serve with pasta or transfer to a jar and store in the fridge until needed.
- To serve, Cook pasta in salted water according to package instructions, and reserve cooking water. Heat your desired amount of sauce in a medium-sized pan over medium-high heat. Add cooked pasta, bring to a simmer, and stir to coat the pasta in the sauce. Add small amounts of pasta water as needed to create a velvety sauce.
Hey I’m Candice aka The Edgy Veg – I veganize popular food recipes for vegans, plant-based diets, eco-conscious eaters & people who are trying to eat more plants over… y’know animals or their by-products. I hope you enjoy this tasty vegan recipe!
Looking For More Dairy-free Sauce Recipes?
Made this recipe? Let me know what you think by leaving a ★★★★★ star rating & comment below. It truly helps me & I really appreciate any support! Feel free to share your food photos on social and tag me @edgyveg so I don’t miss it!
Share My Recipe on Pinterest