These delicious homemade sourdough croutons can be cooked in 10 mins at home using sourdough bread cut into crouton shapes.
These homemade croutons add a delightful crunch and depth of flavor to salads, soups, and other dishes. Their sourdough flavour provides a unique taste to traditional croutons.
Related Recipe: Grilled Caesar Salad
How To Make Sourdough Croutons (Homemade)
Homemade sourdough croutons are made from sourdough bread, which is known for its distinct tangy flavor and chewy texture due to the fermentation process it goes through. These croutons are small, crispy, and flavorful cubes of old, stale or toasted sourdough bread that add texture and taste to many dishes.
To make sourdough croutons, first pick out your sourdough bread, ideally stale and old. Then, you’ll slice the crispy bread into cubes of croutons. If your bread isn’t stale, leave it out, as staling the bread is important because it helps the croutons hold their shape and develop a satisfying crunch when toasted.
Next, the best homemade croutons require tasty seasoning! With olive oil, you’re going to whisk together: garlic powder and Italian seasoning. Toss your croutons in your seasoning and transfer to a baking sheet and bake for 10-12 mins, tossing every 5 mins or so. Then transfer to a wire cooling rack and sprinkle with salt!
Full Recipe Down Below
INGREDIENTS FOR HOMEMADE SOURDOUGH CROUTONS:
FULL RECIPE DOWN BELOW!
- 4 slices old or stale sourdough bread, cut into cubes
- 3 tbsp olive oil or melted dairy-free butter
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together; vegan butter or olive oil, garlic powder, and Italian seasoning
- Add bread cubes and toss until coated. Season with salt and pepper and transfer to the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, tossing every 5 mins or so. Transfer to a wire cooling rack and sprinkle with some flakey salt.
Freeze for up to 2 months.
Looking For More Vegan Recipes?
Made this recipe? Let me know what you think by leaving a ★★★★★ star rating & comment below. It truly helps me & I really appreciate any support! Feel free to share your food photos on social and tag me @edgyveg so I don’t miss it!
Share My Recipe on Pinterest!