An easy vegan creamy tomato pasta sauce recipe that’s budget-friendly using simple canned ingredients (or fresh if you have), spices and herbs.
Using up shelf-stable ingredients doesn’t need to be boring and bland. In this recipe, I’ll show you how to make delicious creamy tomato pasta using only canned ingredients. All it takes is a little creativity and love to turn canned food into a gourmet meal for your family to enjoy.
VEGAN CREAMY TOMATO PASTA
DAIRY-FREE | NUT-FREE | GLUTEN-FREE
This easy, family-friendly meal is a quick way to get dinner together using all things shelf-stable. Using affordable and accessible ingredients can be decadent and delicious and no one will know that your secret weapon was a can opener.
VEGAN CREAMY TOMATO SAUCE
To get this recipe together, you can use any pasta you like. Dried pasta is an affordable shelf-stable staple that everyone needs to stock in their pantry at all times. Just boil pasta according to package directions and toss with this creamy rosé sauce for a velvety, filling, comforting meal to enjoy while gathered with your loved ones, or on a Skype date with someone far away.
Related Recipe: Easy Vegan Rosé Pasta (One-Pot Recipe)
VEGAN CREAMY TOMATO PASTA SAUCE INGREDIENTS
This recipe has the following basic ingredients:
- Canned whole stewed tomatoes, or whatever canned tomatoes you have
- Tomato paste
- Canned or cooked chickpeas, drained
- Nutritional yeast
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Dried oregano
- Dried basil
- Sugar or sweetener of choice
- Sea salt
- Black pepper
- Red pepper flakes
- Pasta of choice (gluten-free option if you want)
- Jarred artichoke hearts (optional), chopped (or any jarred veg you have; roasted red pepper, eggplant etc.)
- Capers or olives (optional)
KITCHEN EQUIPMENT I USED:
Related Recipe: Walnut Pasta Sauce
- 1 can whole stewed tomatoes, or whatever canned tomatoes you have
- 1 tbsptomato paste
- 1½ cups canned or cooked chickpeas, drained
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp sugar or sweetener of choice
- ½ tsp - 1 tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper + more to taste
- red pepper flakes for garnish
- Pasta of choice for 4
- 1 cup jarred artichoke hearts (optional), chopped (or any jarred veg you have like roasted red pepper, eggplant, etc)
- 2 tbsp capers (optional) or olives), chopped
- In a blender add canned tomatoes, tomato paste, 1 cup chickpeas, nutritional yeast, garlic powder, and onion powder, and blend until smooth. If you are using diced tomatoes you can blend everything but the tomatoes.
- Transfer creamy tomato sauce to a medium saucepan, and heat over medium-high heat.
- Add oregano, basil, sweetener, salt, and pepper to taste. If you want a spicier sauce, you can add red pepper flakes now.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta in a large stockpot of generously-salted water according to package instructions. Reserve 1 cup of cooking liquid and drain.
- Continue cooking the sauce until it reaches a simmer.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer for up to 30 minutes until it has partially reduced.
- Stir in the artichoke hearts, capers and ½ cup whole chickpeas.
- Taste, and season with salt & pepper, if needed.
- When your sauce is ready, combine the drained pasta with a few scoops of the sauce and gently toss, add pasta water as needed to help coat the noodles, and create a velvety sauce.
- Serve immediately, garnished with your desired toppings.
Looking For More Vegan Pasta Recipes?
- Vegan Lasagna
- Creamy Mushroom Pasta
- Easy Crock-Pot Lasagna Soup
- One-Pot Pasta Sausage Gnocchi (Vegan)
If you make this recipe, let me know what you think by leaving a star rating & comment below. It truly helps me & I really appreciate any support! Feel free to share your food photos on social and tag me @edgyveg so I don’t miss it!