Crispy breaded tofu is super easy to make & will show you tips on how to get the crispiest tofu ever by using water to fry your tofu!
Tofu takes n the flavours of seasoning you prefer, making it the perfect canvas to season your tofu however you want! I’ll show you the best breading ingredients and a simple hack to do before frying your tofu!
Related Recipe: Vegan Fried Chicken with Tofu Skin
CRISPY BREADED TOFU
DAIRY-FREE | NUT-FREE | VEGAN
This easy crispy breaded tofu recipe is a simple way to turn your plain soft tofu into crispy tofu bites!
The secret to getting crispy tofu is to season and bread your cubed tofu in batter and then dip it in water before putting it into hot oil to fry! There’s food science behind why dipping your seasoned tofu in water before frying in oil to get your tofu to be crispier than if you just fried in oil.
How To Make: Crispy Breaded Tofu
INGREDIENTS FOR BREADED TOFU (CRISPY):
- Firm tofu
- Garlic Powder
- Onion Powder
- Cooking Oil
KITCHEN EQUIPMENT I USED:
- 1 package firm tofu, pressed, cut into cubes & marinated in broth or marinade of choice) for at least 15 mins
- juice of ½ lime
- ½ paprika
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp onion powder
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- pinch of salt
- Heat oil in a deep fryer or large heavy-bottomed pot over medium-high heat to 375F.
- Add cubed tofu (pressed if you want) to a bowl and season with; lime juice, paprika, salt, onion & garlic powder.
- In a small bowl whisk together; cornmeal, flour, and salt.
- Fill a tall glass with cold water.
- Using a toothpick, one at a time, coat each cube in the cornmeal mixture, then dip into the water. When the water stops dripping, place the cub into the hot oil and fry for a couple of minutes on each side to get the most crispy breaded tofu you'll ever have!
- Enjoy dipping your crispy tofu in a vegan dill dip or vegan caper aioli sauce!
Hey I’m Candice aka The Edgy Veg – I veganize popular food recipes for vegans, plant-based diets, eco-conscious eaters & people who are trying to eat more plants over… y’know animals or their by-products. I hope you enjoy this tasty vegan recipe!
Looking For More Vegan Chicken Recipes?
Made this recipe? Let me know what you think by leaving a ★★★★★ star rating & comment below. It truly helps me & I really appreciate any support! Feel free to share your food photos on social and tag me @edgyveg so I don’t miss it!
Share My Recipe on Pinterest