Best Vegan Chicken
There are so many vegan chicken alternatives out there but if you’re looking for something homemade because you don’t have access to store-bought alternatives, you don’t like all of the artificial additives, you want to save money, or you just want to experiment with making it yourself, this is the recipe for you!
This recipe is almost 10 years in the making. I’ve been vegan for almost a decade and I’ve had lots of vegan chicken in those years. This is the best. This recipe is built off making chicken seitan over and over again (hence why there’s upwards of 15+ different vegan chicken recipes on this site) updating as I learn how seitan works, and get inspired by other vegan bloggers out there. Thanks to Full of Plants, for the technique to create fibers. If you want a more tender chicken, simply knead for only 5ish minutes).
Vital wheat gluten can be a tricky ingredient to work with. It is used in many vegan protein recipes but can sometimes come out with the wrong texture or flavour. Follow this recipe to get the best out of your vital wheat gluten. ** This recipe along with others are constantly being updated as I perfect them**
Related Recipe/Credit: fullofplants.com
Best Vegan Chicken
MEAT-FREE | VEGETARIAN
This recipe is the culmination of all of my favourite aspects of every vegan chicken alternative I’ve ever made. It has tofu, jackfruit, no-chicken bouillon and vital wheat gluten. All of these things make the sum of something amazing.
INGREDIENTS FOR THE BEST VEGAN CHICKEN:
- Firm tofu
- Vital wheat gluten
- Young green jackfruit in water or brine (Canned)
- No-chicken-style vegetable broth or bouillon (Double Strength is preferred)
- Nutritional yeast
- White miso paste
- Liquid smoke
- Onion powder
- Sea salt
- Poultry seasoning
KITCHEN EQUIPMENT I USED:
- High-Speed Blender
- Measuring Utensils
- Stand Mixer
- Aluminum Foil
- Sealable Container
- Pressure Cooker or Instant Pot (optional)
- 1¾ cup vital wheat gluten
- 1-350g package of firm tofu, drained & rinsed
- 1 20-ounce can young green jackfruit in water or brine, drained and rinsed and shredded
- ⅔ cup no-chicken-style vegetable broth or bouillon , double-strength
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp onion powder
- ¼ cupnutritional yeast
- ½ tsp liquid smoke
- 2 tbsp white miso paste
- 2 tsp poultry seasoning
- 6-8 cups water, for cooking
- To a high-speed blender add tofu, no-chicken broth, tahini, sea salt, onion powder, nutritional yeast, poultry seasoning, liquid smoke, and white miso paste. Blend on high until smooth.
- Transfer to the bowl of a stand mixer and add vital wheat gluten and shredded jackfruit. Using a flat paddle, knead on low speed until it comes together and starts to look like dough, about 3-5 minutes.
- Stop and swap out the paddle for a dough hook and knead at a low speed for 15- 20 minutes. The dough will be soft and slightly sticky with a fibrous texture. This is great for shredded chicken. If you want a more tender chicken, simply knead for only 5ish minutes.
- Divide in half and shape the halves into an oval “log” and place it in the center of a large square of foil. Roll it tight, twisting up the ends like wrapped candy. Wrap in a second layer of foil and make sure everything is TIGHT. Repeat with the second “log”.
- Fill a pressure cooker with 6-8 cups of water, and add both wrapped “logs”.
- Cook for 45 minutes under pressure. If you have a smaller pressure cooker, you may have to do this in batches.
- Release the pressure and remove the seitan rolls from the cooker and let them cool completely.
- (Alternatively, you can steam them for 1 hour, if you do not have access to a pressure cooker.)
- Remove the logs from the foil and transfer to a Tupperware container, and allow to sit to allow the fibers to develop further.
- Pull the seitan chicken into the chicken breast or bite-size pieces, or shred and use marinades, seasonings, or batter to customize the chicken to any dish.
Hi! I’m Candice aka The Edgy Veg! I veganize popular food recipes for vegans, plant-based diets, eco-conscious eaters & people who are trying to eat more plants over… y’know animals or by-products of animals. I hope you enjoy this tasty vegan recipe!
Looking For More Vegan Meat Alternative Recipes?
- Best Vegan Lobster Roll
- High Protein Vegan Ground Beef
- Vegan Ceviche
- Carrot Bacon
- Vegan Fish and Chips
Made this recipe? Let me know what you think by leaving a star rating & comment below. It truly helps me & I really appreciate any support! Feel free to share your food photos on social and tag me @edgyveg so I don’t miss it!
Share My Recipe on Pinterest!
Leave a comment