These Vegan Carrot Hot Dogs are made using 10 seasoning ingredients that marinate your carrot hot dog! I originally made veggie hot dogs from carrots back in 2015 and this is an updated version.
Years ago I found a photo on Reddit of a plain carrot in a hotdog bun and I’ve been carrying that inspiration with me ever since. After testing a few different versions, I finally made the best carrot hotdogs I can make at home.
These carrot hotdogs may seem like the punchline of a vegan joke, but they truly take on a perfect wiener texture and are seasoned perfectly. Carrots are in season and can be picked up locally to turn into these delicious hot dogs. Stick this wiener between buns and enjoy your vegan hot dog all summer long. Suns out buns out!
Related Recipe: Best Vegan Gourmet Hot Dog Toppings
CARROT HOT DOGS
VEGAN | GLUTEN-FREE OPTION
Let’s be frank, today I’m showing you a recipe that is just as easy to make as the inuendos that go along with it. Share with friends and compare wieners and buns. What’s the wurst that could happen?
INGREDIENTS FOR CARROT HOT DOGS:
- Rice Vinegar
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- Toasted sesame seed oil (not raw)
- Soy Sauce or Gluten-Free Tamari
- Garlic Powder
- Onion Powder
- Ginger Powder
- Cayenne Pepper (omit if you don’t want spice)
- Black Pepper
- Hotdog Buns (gluten-free optional)
SMOKEY-FLAVOUR TIP: If you love a smokey taste, add 1/4 tsp of liquid smoke to your mixture.
GLUTEN-FREE TIP: Swap soy sauce for tamari and traditional hotdog buns for gluten-free buns or omit the bun.
Hot Dog Toppings:
- Classic ketchup & mustard
- Vegan mayo & kimchi
- pickled jalapeno peppers
- onions & sauerkraut
- whatever you like
KITCHEN EQUIPMENT I USED:
- Knife & Peeler for carrots
- Pot for Boiling
- Measuring Utensils
- Long Sealable Container or Ziplock Bag
- Whisk or Fork
- Large Mixing Bowls
- Barbeque or Grill Pan
Cooking Tip: Try brushing the carrots dogs with bbq sauce while they’re on the bbq for extra sticky, crispy yumminess.
- 4 large carrots, scrubbed clean
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup water
- 1 tbsp roasted sesame seed oil (not raw)
- ¼ cup soy sauce or gluten-free tamari
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ¼ tsp ginger powder
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 4 hot dog buns (gluten-free optional)
- Whittle down your carrots to have the same texture and smoothness as hot dogs do.
- Fill a pot the width of your carrots halfway with water and bring to a boil.
- In a long sealable container or large ziplock bag, whisk together rice vinegar, apple cider vinegar, water, sesame oil, tamari, garlic powder, onion powder, ginger powder, cayenne and black pepper. Set aside.
- Add carrots and boil for 6 to 9 mins depending on how thick your carrots are, or until fork-tender. DO NOT OVERCOOK THEM. They should not be mushy and should hold their shape.
- Fill a large mixing bowl with ice-cold water (i also added ice cubes to water).
- Remove carrots from boiling water and transfer to ice-cold water immediately. This will stop them from continuing to cook. Allow to cool in the water for 2 mins.
- Add carrots to the marinade mixture and gently shake to coat. Place bag or container in the fridge. Depending on when you want to cook them to eat, I recommend leaving them to marinate for as long as possible. Minimum 1 hour but overnight is best. The longer you marinate, the better they will be.
- When ready to prepare carrot hot dogs, you can cook these on a BBQ (yay summer) or on the stove in a greased pan.
- If using a barbecue; toss on carrots and cook until heated and slightly charred, rotating to ensure even cooking; about 5-10 mins. Spoon some leftover marinade over the carrots while cooking to create a yummy crusty exterior.
- If using a grill pan, grease with olive oil and heat over medium heat. Add carrots and heat, about 5-10 mins, rotating to ensure even cooking. Spoon some leftover marinade over the carrots while cooking to create a yummy crusty exterior.
- Remove from heat and serve on a hot dog bun with condiments of choice.
Hi! I’m Candice aka The Edgy Veg! I veganize popular food recipes for vegans, plant-based diets, eco-conscious eaters & people who are trying to eat more plants over… y’know animals or by-products of animals. I hope you enjoy this tasty vegan recipe!
Looking For More Vegan BBQ Recipes?
- Vegan Gourmet Hot Dog Toppings
- Korean Cauliflower BBQ Skewers
- Vegan Macaroni Salad
- Grilled Caesar Salad
Made this recipe? Let me know what you think by leaving a star rating & comment below. It truly helps me & I really appreciate any support! Feel free to share your food photos on social and tag me @edgyveg so I don’t miss it!