This 30-mins vegan meatball sub recipe uses vegan ground beef with marinara sauce and traditional meatball seasoning!
You can turn these vegan meatballs into a big vegan meatball sub for dinner or snack-size meatball subs for the kids or even appetizers for a small gathering!
I’ve been craving vegan meatball subs recently and with back-to-school around the corner, I decided to make this recipe into a kid-friendly vegan meatball sub that’s snack size!
These meatballs are delicious in these sliders or served on their own with marinara sauce and pasta or prepared Swedish style.
This recipe can be served as an appetizer passed around at a party, or as an easy family meal. And since there’s no meat or eggs, it’s safe enough for kids to get involved and help out!
Related Recipe: Vegan Creamy Tomato Pasta Sauce
Vegan Meatball Sub Recipe
VEGAN | MEAT-FREE | GLUTEN-FREE OPTION
These simple meatballs can be made in advance and frozen to be made whenever you’re in need of a vegan protein to add to pasta dishes or sandwiches like this!
INGREDIENTS FOR VEGAN MEATBALL SUBS:
- Beyond Meat ground (you can use whatever product you prefer)
- Bread crumbs (GF versions available)
- Onion powder
- Italian seasoning
- Vegan cheese slices or vegan parmesan
- Black pepper
- Sea salt
- Marinara sauce
- Mini Sub or Slider buns
- Fresh parsley or basil
KITCHEN EQUIPMENT I USED:
- Baking sheet
- Parchment paper
- Chef’s knife
- Measuring Utensils
- Large mixing bowl
- Cast-iron or another oven-safe pan
- 1 lb Beyond Meat ground
- 1-1/2 tbspbread crumbs (GF versions available)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1½ tspItalian seasoning
- 8 slices vegan cheese of choice, or ½ cup vegan parmesan
- ¼ tspblack pepper
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 2 cups Marinara sauce
- 8 slider buns
- 1⁄2 cup arugula
- Fresh parsleyor basil, chopped, to garnish
- Line a baking sheet, and preheat your oven to 400F.
- In a large bowl, add Beyond Meat ground, bread crumbs, garlic, onion powder, and Italian seasoning. Mix thoroughly.
- Roll into 2oz balls and place them on your lined baking sheet.
- Bake until browned and cooked through about 15 mins.
- Meanwhile, over medium heat, heat the marinara sauce until hot in an oven-safe pan (cast iron is ideal), roughly 5 mins.
- Remove marinara from the heat and cover until the meatballs are ready.
- Add cooked meatballs to marinara, and gently spoon the sauce over the meatballs.
- Top each meatball with vegan cheese slices, and place under the broiler for 1-2 mins, until the cheese has melted slightly. Watch they do not burn.
- Place arugula on the bottom of each slider bun, then top each with 1 meatball.
- Drizzle meatballs with some extra sauce, if desired, and sprinkle with a garnish of fresh herbs. Cover each with the top bun, and enjoy! Serve with a side of extra marinara, if desired.
Looking For More Vegan Appetizer Recipes?
- Vegan Ceviche
- Crispy Quinoa Onion Rings
- Grazing Platter
- Vegan Pigs in Blanket
- Baked Vegan Spinach Dip
Made this recipe? Let me know what you think by leaving a star rating & comment below. It truly helps me & I really appreciate any support! Feel free to share your food photos on social and tag me @edgyveg so I don’t miss it!
Share My Recipe on Pinterest!