I’m going to show you how to make a vegan tomato tart in under 30 mins! Using simple ingredients and fresh tomatoes, this vegan savoury tart recipe is just what you need if you’re craving a pastry filled with a creamy base and fresh veggies on top.
Where I live, tomato season feels like it lasts only a few days! Take advantage of the sweet bounty of your tomato plants or farmer’s market and make this simple yet elegant vegan savoury tart.
Related Recipe: Vegan Bruschetta
Vegan Tomato Tart
This light and fresh tomato tart appetizer is layered with smooth vegan whipped feta cheese and layered with fresh sliced tomatoes, herbs and capers. You can also add whatever you want. You can cut it into small pieces and serve it as an appetizer or slice into quarters for a larger serving.
All you need to do to make this savoury tart is roll out your puff pastry (many are vegan-friendly), poke with a fork and bake until brown, then whip the feta and smear all over and layer with the colourful heirloom tomatoes and other toppings. Then slice and serve.
Related Post: Strawberry Lemon Cookies
INGREDIENTS FOR TOMATO TART (VEGAN):
- Heirloom Tomatoes or Cherry Tomatoes
- Puff Pastry
- Unsweetened Soy Milk
- Maple Syrup
- Vegan Feta Cheese (you can make my recipe or try to buy vegan feta cheese in-store)
- Fresh Dill (optional)
- Capers (optional)
- Salt (Flaked Salt is the best)
- Freshly Ground Pepper
- Optional: Olive Oil
KITCHEN EQUIPMENT I USED:
- Measuring Utensils
- Mixing Bowl
- Rimmed Baking Sheet
- Parchment Paper
- Rolling Pin
- Wire Cooling Rack
- Small Food Processor
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, about 9 oz. (280 g), thawed
- 3 tbsp unsweetened soy milk
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 cup vegan feta cheese
- 1 garlic clove. minced
- 2 tbsp fresh dill, minced + extra to garnish
- 1 lb ripe cherry tomatoes or heirloom tomatoes, sliced
- 2 tbsp capers, drained
- flaked salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- optional: olive oil drizzle
- Preheat an oven to 425F and line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment or a baking mat.
- In a small bowl, whisk together soy milk and maple syrup. Set aside.
- On a lightly floured work surface roll out puff pastry into a 9-by-13-inch rectangle about ⅛ inch thick. Transfer the rectangle to the prepared baking sheet.
- Score a 1-inch border around the edge and use a fork to prick the center all over.
- Brush the entire sheet with the soy milk mixture, and bake for 15 mins. Place on a wire cooling rack to cool.
- In a food processor blend together, feta, and a garlic clove. Stir in dill.
- Push down the center of the pull pastry with a spoon or your hands, leaving the border edge puffed.
- Spread the feta mixture all over the center of the puff pastry, and top with tomato slices.
- Sprinkle with capers, salt and pepper and garnish with additional fresh dill. Drizzle with olive oil if using.
- Cut into quarters and serve.
Hey I’m Candice aka The Edgy Veg – I veganize popular food recipes for vegans, plant-based diets, eco-conscious eaters & people who are trying to eat more plants over… y’know animals or their by-products. I hope you enjoy this tasty vegan recipe!
Looking For More Vegan Summer Recipes?
Made this recipe? Let me know what you think by leaving a ★★★★★ star rating & comment below. It truly helps me & I really appreciate any support! Feel free to share your food photos on social and tag me @edgyveg so I don’t miss it!