Vegan Monte Cristo (Pancakes Recipe)
This week I wanted to make a super simple and unique vegan recipe using leftover ingredients! So I decided to make a vegan Monte Cristo but instead of a sandwich, I turned it into savory pancakes!
A classic Monte Cristo is a fried ham and cheese sandwich with jam (so not vegan at all). So using vegan alternatives, I went ahead and turned this non-vegan classic sandwich into a vegan breakfast/brunch pancake that satisfies your sweet and savory taste buds. Why use two pieces of bread when you can put it between two delicious pancakes? I’m just saying…
And did I mention it’s quick? You can make this vegan Monte Cristo in under 30 mins.
This Monte Cristo pancake recipe is a modern twist on a savoury dish and is easy to make as well as a household favourite. Feel free to add your own toppings and fillings to serve these pancakes just the way you like them!
If you’re looking for something different than your traditional banana pancakes with a side of vegan bacon, these vegan Monte Cristo pancakes will make you feel like you’re being served at a cute brunch spot, just add mimosas and enjoy!
Related Recipe: Vegan Banana Pancakes
What is a Monte Cristo?
A classic Monte Cristo is a ham and swiss sandwich that is dipped in an egg mixture and fried in butter. While not a single piece of that description is plant-based, there are many vegan alternatives to these ingredients. I thought I would switch things up for this one and use pancake batter in place of sandwich bread, to get a sweet, yet savory finish to these little delights.
MONTE CRISTO PANCAKES
VEGAN | DAIRY-FREE | NUT-FREE
These easy, bold pancakes are filled with savory vegan cheese and plant-based meat replacer and garnished with jam to add a fruity topping to this full-bodied dish. You can make pancake batter from scratch, or use your favourite vegan-friendly boxed pancake mix.
INGREDIENTS FOR MONTE CRISTO PANCAKES (VEGAN):
For the pancakes:
- Store-bought pancake mix (I used Bisquick) or you can make my Homemade Edgy Veg pancakes
- Vegan butter
For the filling:
- Any Vegan cheese (I like to use store-bought Gusta cheese as I like how it melts)
- Any Seitan or vegan deli meat (I used the store-bought Gusta Seitan Roast thinly sliced)
- Raspberry or sour cherry jam
- Maple Syrup
- Powdered sugar
- More Jam or berries
KITCHEN EQUIPMENT I USED:
Related Recipe: Vegan Full English Breakfast
- The edgy veg pancakes or 1 recipe store-bought pancake mix (batter prepared as directed on package)
- 1-2 tbsp vegan butter
- ½ cup shredded vegan cheese (I like to use Gusta as I like how it melts)
- 1 cup seitan, thinly sliced or vegan deli meat of choice
- 2 tbsp raspberry or sour cherry jam
- Powdered sugar
- More Jam
- Prepare pancake batter.
- Heat 1-2 tbsp vegan butter in a large pan over medium-high heat (or griddle if you have one).
- Make 8 pancakes by adding ¼ cup of the batter per pancake onto the pan, I can make 4 at once. Cook them for about 1½ minutes on each side, or until the bubbles stop opening and closing, and the bottom is golden brown. Flip.
- As the second side is cooking, add roughly 2 tbsp of the shredded cheese, and a few slices of vegan meat of choice to the cooked side of 2 pancakes, and spread 1-2 tsp jam on the other 2 pancakes.
- place the jam spread pancake on top of the cheese & meat-topped pancake and place onto a plate.
- Repeat with all pancake batter.
- Serve warm, dusted with powdered sugar and garnished with some jam.
I’m Candice & welcome to The Edgy Veg! I veganize popular food recipes for vegans, plant-based diets, eco-conscious eaters & people who are trying to eat more plants over… y’know animals or by-products of animals. I hope you enjoy this tasty vegan recipe!
Looking For More Vegan Breakfast Recipes?
If you make this recipe, let me know what you think by leaving a star rating & comment below. It truly helps me & I really appreciate any support! Feel free to share your food photos on social and tag me @edgyveg so I don’t miss it!
Leave a comment