The Best Vegan Bacon: How To Make Vegan Bacon Using Rice Paper

Vegan bacon Recipe: Make Vegan Bacon Using Rice Paper

Bacon is one of the most sought after foods in the entire world. Although not the healthiest food you could be eating, it certainly is one of the most delicious. People all over the world and all over the Internet have fetishized bacon almost to the point of exhaustion. I mean honestly if I hear one more person scream BACON at me in the comment section, or watch one more poor innocent meal get wrapped in bacon and deep-fried, I am going to burn my laptop and disconnect—just kidding, I wouldn’t last 15 mins without Snapchat or Pinterest. But alas, this trend does not seem to be going away, and so I must embrace it the best way I know how—Veganizing it.

Growing up, I didn’t eat much bacon as my mother was a Seventh Day Adventist vegetarian and the Bible described it as an unclean food. But being a child of divorced parents, my dad would serve it with breakfast, and on a handful of occasions I tried it—but it never made it into my regular eating patterns. Growing up in the country by a vegetarian meant that we were often exposed to farm animals, and so eating meat just didn’t appeal to me. I think much of this had to do with this animal exposure but also my mothers strict views on diet and eating, She described pork, bacon, ham to us as animals, instead of food; so it wasn’t just a plate of bacon—it was a plate of dead pig. When it came to food, and slaughter, my mother was always very honest about where it came from, and made sure that we were always thankful. To many people this may seem like an odd way of parenting, but in hindsight, this type of honest parenting is what made me compassionate towards animals, seeing them as equals with intelligence, and drove me to eventually become a vegan in my adult life.

For Vegans, the bacon alternatives are limited, and fail to live up to the standards that bacon lovers have come to expect. And let’s face it, most of us did not become vegan because we didn’t love the taste and smell of bacon, we became vegan because pigs are individuals that deserve love off the plate as well. Neuroscientists have studied and found that pigs share a number of cognitive capacities with other highly intelligent species such as dogs, chimpanzees, elephants, dolphins, and even humans. They are often compared to having the intelligence similar to that of a 3-year-old human child. So if you wouldn’t eat your dog or your toddler, you shouldn’t be eating a cute fuzzy piggy.

Vegan Recipe: Make Vegan Bacon Using Rice PaperAs a society we have desensitized ourselves to what meat is and where it came from. And since we are a culture that very much identifies with food, and bacon as it’s own food group—I made it my mission to be able to look every “I would be vegan – but bacon” bacon-loving wannabe vegan in the eye with a piece of bacon and say, “Now you too can become vegan…” What is this magical bacon alternative I speak of? Making vegan bacon out of rice paper and a bacon marinade. Yup, rice paper, that stuff vegan up until now have been using to make salad wraps with. Blech.

This bacon gets it’s favor from a marinade made with Tamari, olive oil, nutritional yeast, garlic powder, liquid smoke, and maple syrup. These ingredients together provide you with a smoky, salty and slightly sweet flavor very similar to bacon. This recipes does take a round or two of practice as the rice paper can be hard to work with, but trust me when I say; it is the BEST alternative to bacon I have tried yet! I didn’t come up with this concept, but here is my version.

Try it wrapped around king oyster mushrooms, as an alternative to bacon wrapped scallops, or wrap it around a veggie dog and grill it, Bacon wrapped dates as a chic, sweet and salty hor d’oeuvres anyone? Anything you could normally wrap bacon around you can definitely wrap this vegan bacon around, you could even have bacon on your veggie burgers, in sandwiches or crumbled on top of your salad. Don’t be afraid to get creative. While it is impossible to truly duplicate the flavor of actual bacon I think this is as close as you’re gunna get!

What are you waiting for? Get out that bowl, whisk, and rice paper and get cooking!

Vegan bacon Recipe: Make Vegan Bacon Using Rice Paper

Vegan Bacon: How To Make Vegan Bacon Using Rice Paper

This is by far the best vegan bacon out there. I have tried many different types and this is by far the crispiest, meatiest vegan bacon out there.
Recipe type: Vegan
Cuisine: Vegan
Serves: roughly 30 pieces
  1. Preheat the oven to 400F.
  2. Prepare 2 baking sheets with sheets of parchment paper.
  3. In a bowl, whisk together all the ingredients except the rice paper. This will become your marinade.
  4. Place one sheet of rice paper over another (2ply), dip the rice paper into a bowl of water for just a moment to soften it slightly. Then with a pair of sharp scissors cut the rice paper into strips as thick as the average slice of bacon. This will soften the rice paper slightly and make it easier to cut without much fallout.
  5. Now dip the doubled up pieces of rice paper into the marinate. Both side should now have marinade on them. Place on baking sheet.
  6. Repeat technique with remaining rice paper strips until the baking sheet is filled, whisking the marinade every so often to prevent separation.
  7. Bake for about 7 to 8 minutes, until crisp.
  8. The strips burn easily, so keep an eye on the baking sheet and remove from sheet right away.
  9. You can store leftover rice paper bacon in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days, or in the fridge for a few weeks.
Notes
If you like softer, chewier bacon follow these preparation instructions instead.

1. Cut the recipe paper sheets into strips as instructed above.
2. Place sheets into the bowl of water until soft, remove from water and carefully lay one on top of each other on a cutting board. Removing excess water with fingers and allowing to dry for 2 minutes or until they have fused together.
3. Dip this strip directly into the marinade, and remove excess with fingers, and place on the baking sheet.
4. Bake as directed above.

Vegan bacon Recipe: Make Vegan Bacon Using Rice Paper

• jamie says:

These are actually sooo addictive! Was scared to make these after making some failed carrot bacon, but it was so easy and good. Whole family loved them. I replaced the liq smoke with BBQ sauce, and baked at 375 instead of 400 bc my oven gets really hot (7-8 min is still perfect). The recipe gave me just enough marinade to make 2 trays (4 sheets per tray, so 2 double-layered circles).

• Leon says:

love this stuff so much! i use bbq sauce instead of liquid smoke and it turns out great, ive been using it on a lot of sandwiches and have started makin dessert recipes with it such as maple bacon donuts!! so addicted, great recipe 🙂

• Dave H says:

I followed this recipe yesterday (I used low sodium soy sauce instead of tamari & used brewers’ yeast) and had a couple of issues. The video shows that the marinade is more liquid–mine was a paste. Despite that, we loved the initial bite but on the backend of the same bite, it was extremely bitter. So, clearly I did something wrong. My wife is vegetarian and I’m trying to find a good substitute for bacon. I think this has great potential except for that terrible bitterness. Would the brewers yeast be the culprit? I want to try this again, but….

I would definitely skip the brewers yeast when you try this recipe again. This recipe calls for nutritional yeast which gives it an umami flavour but if you do not have it then just skip the nutritional yeast

• Mardi Kightlinger says:

Dave, you went wrong by thinking it said brewer’s yeast. It is actually nutritional yeast (also called nooch). Nooch is entirely different and tastes cheesy. (Delish on popcorn) Then, there is no big hard and fast about how much of everything to use. I add extra water so it is soupy.

This is the best vegan bacon I have made so far (and I have made lots of kinds). This lady is making hers “pretty” so she cuts the rice paper into strips, but I don’t care so much about pretty. Also, she makes hers in the oven which is better health wise than how I do it. I fry mine in a skillet that has a thin layer of oil in the bottom on medium-high heat. Even though I drain it good and it doesn’t come out oily, you are better off doing it in the oven like she recommends. You can do full sheets in the oven because it will be crispy and you can break it into pieces unless you want pretty because you have guests coming.

Rice paper is hard and brittle so if you are going to use it, you need to soften it momentarily in the marinade. I make the marinade and I make extra because you can keep what doesn’t get used. I put it in a different large flat skillet so I can put a full sheet of rice paper in it. I soak it on each side for 15 seconds or so and then with a pair of tongs, I lift it out, let it drain off for a few moments and then just ease it down into the hot oil. It will soften instantly in the hot oil and I just make a back and forth motion to fold it into layers on itself. It doesn’t spatter. Then I start the next wrapper soaking in the marinade.

Turning the “bacon” several times so it doesn’t burn while it crisps is pretty quick and I start the second piece before the first one is even done. For just one person, two pieces is plenty and it makes a crispy, tasty BLT. I also use vegan mayo and a vegan bread of course.

• June Savage says:

Yes, brewers yeast is not at all the same as nutritional yeast. I’m quite sure that is what made it bitter. Try without and see.

• Emmalee says:

Just made this recipe and am genuinely impressed. The only thing I changed was using three ply rice paper strips instead of two ply. This resulted in a much more satisfying texture, in my opinion. With the three ply I got both the intense outer crunch and an inner chewiness. The flavoring is so well balanced and delicious, well done! Luckily I made a double batch because my husband and I couldn’t stop snacking on them as soon as they came out of the oven!

• Andrea E says:

Pretty psyched to finally try this (we usually make tofu bacon), and were excited at how it looked too. But there was very little flavor; if I made it again, I’d flat out soften the rice paper in the marinade. I don’t get why people are talking about breakage. Once it’s softened, it can’t break. Also don’t get why you’d use scissors, it’s a breeze to make the strips with a pizza cutter. They came out super crispy, but minimally tasty on our BLTs. But the weirdest thing was that my husband and I both said the same thing after eating it: it had uncomfortably packed into our teeth after chewing. I know it sounds weird. No one else had this happen?

• Jodi says:

This was straight up amazing. Tasted just like how I remember!

• Phoebe K. says:

I was immensely skeptical prior to making this however, having all the ingredients on hand, I decided to give it a try. I admit that I was wrong to doubt. This stuff is fantastic. I am not sure how much it tastes like bacon per se but, it is delicious and I could likely eat it every day. Absolutely spot on recipe – I used spring roll wrappers (NOT egg roll wrappers) and it came out splendid every time. Well done. Thank you!

• Hope says:

Wow – really good. I found if I cook on the parchment paper without a cookie sheet under – the bacon comes out crispy quicker.

• Ryan says:

SO FREAKING GOOD! I cut the rice paper strips, doubled them, then soaked them in water and then soaked them in the sauce before placing them on the parchment paper. my mom and my boyfriend really loved the taste and wanted more and more lol

• Kristina says:

This was fantastic! Extremely crispy, with a great smoky flavor. The only problem is I didn’t make enough!

• Branda says:

Amazing!!!
    The cutting of the rice paper was quite frustrating……I decided to try my pizza cutter and it worked like a dream.

• Barbara says:

We love this recipe 💚👍. I used avocado oil and smoked paprika instead but was awesome! Crunchy and flavourful 😊🌱. A must try!

• Jennifer Thomas says:

Can this be frozen

I’ve never tried freezing it, it stays crispy up to a few days so I just make it as I need it or the day before if I am in a rush

• Emilie says:

This recipe is great!! Instead of turning on my oven cause it takes awhile to heat I used an indoor smokeless grill instead and the bacon turn out crispy with nice lines on it from the grilling.

• Robert says:

Literally just made this, so simple an engineer can do this! Tasty and crunchy AND easy. What is not to love about this? I found some of the square rice paper too and will use that next. Love the frying tip Samadhi posted, that’s on the list now too. I did 8 sheets round, yielded about 20 pieced for me, there were a couple of errors on my part (learning curve sacrifice). Thanks for this one and I’m off to have rice paper bacon now. Confidence growing that I, too, can do this WPBF stuff too!

• Samadhi Metta Bexar says:

Made this today and used SQUARE rice paper i found at a Chinese market..yum! I used a divided kid’s plate to dip the strips, which i cut dry first with shears then wetted, then dipped in marinade. One thing I found is they fried nicely on a pan sprayed with cooking spray in less time than the ones on parchment paper. This is a total keeper!! Vary the marinade for fun 🙂

• Barbara says:

5 STAR! For whatever reason and no matter how many times I ride, I could only go to 4 stars on iPad. I just finished cleanup and tried a piece of this incredible masterpiece and I am over the moon that I found this recipe. My husband is going to be in shock when he tastes this. It’s bacon!!! Really truly bacon! BLT’s here we come. Thank you a thousand times for making these Whole Foods Plant Based foodies so happy.

• Peterthechicagovegan says:

Loved making this easy recipe. Worked liked a champ & tasted soooo good. Check my Instagram for pictures. I would suggest going heavy with the marinade when you brush it on to give it a stronger flavor!

• Julie says:

Holy hell that’s amazing! Thank you so much! I am new to the plant based life and am deeply grateful for some bacon!!!!!
    I made it as is with 1/4 tsp instead of Tbsn of garlic and it worked perfectly!
    You rock! 🙂

• Portia says:

Delish!! I made it as the recipe stated and wouldn’t change a thing. I used cooking shears to cut the rice paper because I was afraid it would break. Very similar texture to bacon. Now off to make a vegan bacon burger. Yum 😋

• Melanie says:

I didn’t use nutritional yeast in mine, but rather vegan bacon seasoning & it tasted good!

• Javonni says:

I love these! I use scissors to cut them.

• camila luna says:

I love this recipe, I ate this vegan bacon almost everyday! I just moved to a different country and I can’t find nutritional yeast anywhere, is there any substitute for that or can I leave it out of the recipe? Would it make a big difference in flavor?

• Jared s Williams says:

It’s in a completely different language how could you assume someone stole a receipt from a Niue lol what a SJW.

• Julia Sharp says:

This came out great but I did double the liquid smoke and added a touch more maple syrup 🙂 Your technique is so much neater and less messy than the dip technique. Thanks 🙂 #VeganOn

• Tina says:

I’m a dining hall manager at a university. We strive to meet the needs of so many of our students with special dietary restrictions. I have added this a plant based option on our deli and it’s getting rave reviews. Thanks so much for a perfect recipe!
    Side note: I have found that if you keep the rice paper sheets in tact and brush them whole then cut them, you get much less cracking and crumbling. Much easier especially when creating larger quantities. 🙂

• Laurie says:

I’m looking for a bacon substitute for my vegan “clam” chowder (made with oyster mushrooms and cashew cream). Will this one fall apart in the liquid?

• Lisa Perry says:

Hi there, I thought the bacon flavour was very good, but mine turned a bit chewy and hard to bite. Some parts were very crispy, but others very chewy. Any idea why? Too much water when trying to stick them together? Too much marinade? Maybe I didn’t cook them long enough? Any troubleshooting suggestions? Thanks love your recipes!!

• Sonia says:

Thanks so much for sharing. I can’t believe how quick and easy this was, and how amazing it looked and tasted! (I stuck the rice papers together first, then cut them with kitchen scissors.) Can’t wait to feed some of these to carnivorous friends!

• Jennifer says:

Just made this! I can’t wait to put it all together on a BLT! It was pretty quick and easy because I had everything on hand. I upped the maple syrup to a tablespoon and it was great! I will also try your marinade on an eggplant bacon recipe and tofu. Thank you!

• Claire says:

I tried this recipe out and had trouble spreading the marinade, the rice paper was sticky and wrinkled/tore and I ended up using almost all the marinade on half the strips, I couldn’t spread it better than that. When I put them in the oven, the marinade burned and so all I could really taste was burned food. Any tips for spreading it more evenly and without the paper going all mushy? The pastry brush I was using was silicone, would I be better off with a traditional brush maybe? (By the way, the marinade was nice, I put the leftover in some puff pastry and that worked out very well.)

• Claire – Wet the rice paper, and after cutting, place the strips into the marinade and massage it into the strips. Then let the excess marinade drip off before placing on the baking tray.

• Rachel says:

Just made this… I love bacon, but hate to cook it lol lately I buy turkey bacon, still don’t like it . .then I made this and I have to say : YUMMY YUM! My 7 and 10 year old both did not know this was vegan 🙂 and they asked me to make it again #winwin : Question: Cutting the rice paper is a little tricky, what kind of knife do you use?

• Claire says:

I tried this recipe out a couple of days ago, but it didn’t go very well. Apart from leaving out the nutritional yeast (because I don’t even know what it is, and when I googled it I found it came in huge expensive containers, so decided to see what the recipe was like without it first) I followed the recipe, halving it for my first attempt. When I tried brushing the marinade over the strips, the strips were sticky and the marinade wouldn’t go on evenly, and I ended up using all the marinade on half the strips. The marinade then burned in the oven, so the end result just tasted burned.

I really want to try again (I know from smelling and tasting the marinade that the bacon *should* taste nice) but I’m not sure how to combat the problem next time. Any advice?

PS: What *is* nutritional yeast? How is it different from the yeast that goes into bread?

• MG says:

i tried 1 tbsp of Hickory bbq sauce and its so overpowering… Maybe just 1 tsp would do?

• Lee says:

Just made this and it turned out so good! It looks so much like bacon from a distance that I could fool people. It’s not exactly like bacon taste-wise, but the flavor is amazing and I love it. I’ll definitely be using this same marinade recipe for tempeh and tofu 🙂 I slightly wet the full sheets and stuck them together before cutting into strips, like some others recommended. Also, cutting in a horizontal motion will not work, you just have to apply pressure to the knife and it will cut easily.

• Ashley says:

Wow I must say your mother sounds like a great mom, i don’t have kids yet but when I do this is exactly how & want to show my kids. We do Not need to survive by killing So many innocent, hepless & sweet animals as they are living beings as well!.
    Thank you So much for this recipe I can’t wait to make this!!

• David Morin says:

Great bacon sub. Another technique to cut the rice paper…. take two full sheets and wet them both then place together a couple of minutes. They fuse nicely and soften enough to cut without breaking. I then coated and baked per recipe. For those that like spice, this was the last missing component for me to make vegan BBQ pulled pork stuffed jalepeno peppers wrapped in bacon. Yummy.

• Mary Evans says:

I Love the crunch but it does have much bacon flavor any suggestion for more flavor

• Tried this before and it is so bacon like. If slightly overcooked/burnt then you have vegan pork rinds. Thanks for sharing 🙂

• Kurt says:

I can’t find Tamari or Hungarian Paprika ? So substitute Soy Sauce and regular Paprika ?

Also I liked the comment about just touching the Rice Paper with a wet knife edge and then
    fold it and it pulls apart clean with no breaking !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Andrew Wilson says:

I love the concept, and strips came out looking like and feeling just like the bacon I remember… something about the marinade though didn’t work for me – I think either the paprika or garlic powder burned? I’ll play around with it, but this is a great base to start from!

• Teri says:

Just made the fake’n bacon…AWESOME! I goobered up the recipe a bit by using a TBSP for liquid smoke instead of a tsp so I had to “fix” it but the results we incredible. I also made some with a three stack of rice paper instead of the two stack – liked the three stack better. Thanks so much for sharing this recipe. I will definitely be making this again in big batches (for me the prep time was a bit longer than the 20 minutes stated but was worth the time for sure!!!)

• Magali says:

First time I did the receipe, it was so hard to cut the rice paper with a knife. So I’ve used scissors. Much better. But the second time I’ve made them, I placed 2 sheets of rice paper under running water to glue them torgheter, and then, after weting them, I’ve cut them with scissors. it’s much easier, and it saves so much time. You should try this 😉 Dilicious by the way

• Nad says:

Hi , I would love to make your recipe but I have a question. I can’t eat nutritionnal yeast (none of the products are gluten free where I live) Is nutritionnal yeast essential to the recipe?
    Thanks!

• Anna says:

This is great! I made it 4 times! But the hardest part was cutting the rice paper. Finally I found a SUPER EASY TRICK!! Dab your knife in water and trace soaked lines on rice paper with it. After, all you need is to fold the rice paper at the lines and it will come apart. You will have perfectly straight strips!

• Chuck says:

Brilliant. I was craving BLT and had all the ingredients so I figured I’d give it a hoon. I misread the amount for the syrup and only put in 1/2 tsp. I just made enough for my sanga and chucked the rest in the fridge so when I use it next I’ll put more in. Other than that stuff up I reckon it was bloody close to how I remember bacon tasting, plus it was the perfect amount of crunchy and greasy (I did the second way) and didn’t leave me feeling oily and bloated like the real thing. It went great with lettuce, tomato, avo and scrambled tofu eggs.
    I’ll defo be making it again.

• Amanda says:

I didn’t follow your recipe exactly but I did follow your instructions — and WOW. Thank you! So easy. So tasty. This bacon has a BITE! I bet these will also make great bacon-wrapped dates. (I’ve honestly never understood the appeal .. but it’ll be a great snack to make for omnis, for sure.) Next time I’m adding some heat! Also, I don’t use liquid smoke (just can’t stand the smell) but I do like to add mesquite & maca to my tempeh bacon so that’s what I did here.

Anyway, these are perfect, delicious. Will definitely be making these again & again.

• Jeann says:

This is so addictive!!! I used triple layer of rice paper, just lined up all three together and dunked it in the warm water until it was soft and then cut it, it stuck together just fine. Thanks for sharing this recipe

• Miki says:

I just made this vegan bacon to take to a brunch tomorrow and it is fantastic…I feel like a wizard! Making crispy tasty ‘bacon’ with rice paper…who would have thought…and it was so so simple and inexpensive. Thank you so much for this great recipe! My future sandwiches are never going to be the same. I love how crisp it is, so it can also be crumbled on a salad or to top a casserole…so many fun things!

• Marie says:

Hello this is a great recipies.

I made a change in the way of doing it. I place a rice paper sheet on a cutting board. With my hand I put some water and scrub until all the rice paper sheet is wet, after that I put the second sheet on top of the first one and scrup again.
    after that I brush the sheet with marinade and cut with a cisor and put on the cooking plate and brush to other side.

so simple to do. thanks again

• Lacie says:

Tried this today!! Love it. Ok one thing I did. Don’t cut the paper dry. Brush the whole circle then once it’s soft cut with scissors. Much easier!! Thanks for sharing

• Jane says:

That’s what I’m talking about!!!

• Lenore says:

I just cut the rice paper with scissors! So much easier and doesn’t crack at all! Great recipe! Thank you!

• Karen Joseph says:

Love this recipe. Is i much easier though to cut with kitchen scissors and so much faster!

• Karen says:

I just made a batch and my bacon loving husband and bacon loving friend both thought it was awsome!!

• Melissa says:

I just just pulled it out of the oven!

I was sceptical but this is yummy!

I wish it was a little thicker as thats how I used to like my bacon… might try your marinade with tofu slices.

• Amanda Renny says:

Very nice recipe and it is so easy to make at home. Very awesome recipes. Looking very delicious. Thanks for sharing such a wonderful recipe. I will definitely try it. Please share some more yummy recipes like this.
    vegan food recipes

• Marti says:

After reading all the positive comments, i decided to try this again. This time i lowered my oven to 350 and baked for 6 minutes. I also used the scissor tip and and excited to say they came out wonderful! Thank you for sharing this recipe!!

• Roy says:

finally got around to trying this – discovered my knife wasn’t sharp enough
    I cut 1 sheet at a time using scissors – worked like a charme. you can use the squares on thesheet as a guide for thickness and straight lines

• Sarah says:

Oh heavenly goodness, I just made this and died a little… I used onion powder instead of garlic powder though, and totally forgot the maple sirup, it was delicious nonetheless. This with scrambled tofu… I can’t wait to have that. Thanks for the recipe.

• Elisabeth says:

We’ve just tried making these, and after cutting the first strip from the hard rice paper rounds I decided that I’d wait and cut the rest after brushing it with the water and flavouring. This was so much easier – especially when I switched from trying to cut it with a knife to using a pizza cutter. Then it was a breeze!

• Maiken says:

I really wish you would include a link to the original inventors of rice-paper bacon (laekon), which originated in Denmark (of all places, we have an insane pig industry, which was why the inventors went to work on this project). I know you have changed the ingredients a bit, but they still deserve the credit for the original idea.
    – Maiken

• Rita says:

That’s the thiinnkg of a creative mind

• Monica says:

I finally made this! It is super crispy! My husband and I really enjoyed it. I also used scissors to cut the rice paper because my knife just wasn’t working. I think next time I might glue a whole strip together then cut afterwards, just to save myself the tediousness. Thanks for the awesome recipe! Definitely the best vegan bacon I’ve had!

• Marianne says:

We Dutchies love this too, to go with our ‘stamppot’ 🙂

• Debbie says:

This.Changes.Everything.

• Anon says:

So…you’re opposed to eating a pig, but scallops are still on the menu? I thought being vegetarian meant not eating ANY animals, not just intelligent ones.

This is a vegan blog, all recipes that are suggested are vegan versions of those recipes. As I said in my write up, “you can wrap them around king oyster mushrooms as a vegan alternative to bacon wrapped scallops”

• Penworthy says:

You’ve obviously mis-read. There were no scallops called for. Always a good idea to read & comprehend before making misleading comments.

I don’t consume any animal products. No pigs, no scallops, no animals are ever harmed to end up on my plate 🙂

• Linda says:

This is great***** I cut the sheet of medium rice paper in four,that way there is some all over my sandwich.Eeven my husband likes this!

• Lynn says:

I made this a few weeks ago and made a BLT for my hubby, he LOVED it (he is a carnivore)!! Win win!!! I just ate it plain, yummy!!! One question, can you make this a few days ahead and it will stay crispy???? I am having a vegan brunch for my boys and their ladies for Christmas and I want to make this, but i have so much to do, anything I can make ahead of time will be very helpful! Thank you bunches!!
    Lynn

I’ve made it a head of time, you just have to keep it in an airtight container. If it does lose it’s crisp- just heat it in the oven for a couple minutes 🙂 I am SO happy that your family enjoyed this recipe!!!!

• Drew Harper says:

I’ve done a few vegan bacon recipes. This is by far the best, with a few personal tweeks.

– Use a sharp knife to cut the rice paper. If there’s texture, put the texture side up when you cut. Just place the blade on the paper and bear down on it. Cuts pretty easy.

– This recipe is SUPER salty. On the second go, I cut the tamari in half (1 1/2 tbsp), added more maple syrup (1 tbsp) and a 1 tsp of water. This made it taste much more like bacon.

– This come out very crunchy if you watch the pan. I used a parchment lined baking pan..worked great.

– For sticking the rice paper together. Just use a small bowl, run the paper through it once, then stick the two sheets together. Bond the sides without the texture and it’ll stick much better.

– Use one swipe of marinade on the bottom, then flip, once swipe of the brush on the top and you’re done. Too much marinade makes it less crisp.

• John says:

Great recipe. I didn’t have any rice paper in the house but did have dried bean curd, paper thin.
    I soaked it for a few minutes then drained off the water and painted on the mixture. It was probably stronger than rice paper would have been.
    It cooked beautifully. I now have a huge amount to put into all kinds of recipes over the next week or so.
    Thank you.

• Leigh says:

This was amazing! I made it for breakfast yesterday. My 5 year old did not care for it but my husband and I both loved it.
    thank you!

• Cassie says:

SO FREAKING GOOD. I made a BLT with this and it was the best I’ve ever had. My carnivore bf thinks it tastes like fried chicken skin, but I don’t think that’s a bad thing in my book.

• Philip Manthe says:

This was really good! I’m super impressed! The only suggestion is to spread the marinade on with your fingers. This does a great job of creating those darker and lighter streaks that real bacon caused by the mix of meat and fat.

• Patti says:

These had a great bacon-like flavor. At first, I took it out of the oven too soon for fear of burning it. It was chewy at that point. After cooking it a few more minutes, it became crispier and great for inside my Rice Paper BLT! I’m excited to have this option for those special occasions.

• Kim says:

This is soooooooooo good. I just finished eating the whole batch. Yummy

• Bonnie says:

I made these and my Hubby and I couldn’t get enough. The BLT’s were delish. Thanks so much for your recipe. I had trouble at first getting them to stick together so I wet both sheets and stuck them before I cut them. As I’m a quilter I used a ruler and rotory cutter to cut them and it worked great no breakage.

• Shelly Phan says:

These are so freaking good!!!! My non vegan family loves these. It tastes exactly like real bacon and it looks like it too when it cooks.

• lili says:

Can the Oil be left out?

You do need the oil to get this bacon to be as authentic as possible. If you don’t like olive oil you can use whatever oil you prefer.

• Mrs Vanacore says:

OMG you are too cute. Thanks for the recipe, I am excited to try it as I am not to fond of the vegan bacon at the stores. Thank you for your videos.

• Anna says:

This was so good! A tip for cutting the rice paper is to use “wet” scissors to cut! I just quickly put mine under running watter before cutting and it was so much easier than using a knife or fry scissors 😀

Great tip!!!!

• Tonie says:

I did the same, after not having any luck getting two layers to cut with a knife and had much breakage. But the dry, double layered rice paper cut with scissors was fast, easy and with little to no breakage.

• A says:

I found an even easier trick! Just dab your knife in water and trace soaked lines on rice paper with it. After, all you need is to fold the rice paper at the lines and it will come apart in perfectly straight strips!! 😀

• Tav says:

I’ve found the easiest way is to wet and stick two sheets together, brush with marinade then use a pizza cutter to cut into strips. Transfer to pan then bake. Perfect strips every time.

• Marina says:

Did anyone struggle with them sticking to the parchment paper? Last time I tried using rice paper for samosas and baked them, the whole thing stuck to the paper 😬 eager to try this though!

• Morgan says:

I made these but with brown rice instead of regular. I made it exactly according to your recipe and they turned out too crispy and so chewy you couldn’t pry it apart with your teeth. I tried various batches and burned a few as well as different flavors/water combinations. I found it was easier to paint the water on a full round piece, place it together with another and then put the marinade on. That way when you cut it the strips were even and thus cooked evenly. You just had to work quickly. I wouldn’t recommend the brown rice version but still good.

• Morgan says:

I did however make the regular ones and they were delicious!

• Wilma says:

5 STARS
      I too left the rounds together and did what was suggested – two different basting brushes – one for the water and one for the sauce .
      Once cooked and crispy – i used my kitchen sheers ( scissors ) to cut into strips – it didn’t matter if the stips broke a little – STILL so deilcious.

The BEST recipe for “FAKIN BAKON” I have tried – I have tried the eggplant and coconut – but nothing compares to your recipe.

THANK YOU SO much.

NB – store in the fridge in a baggie – I tried to keep them in the freezer – but not good – they get too “limpy” and I had to put them under the broiler to crisp up again.
      BEST tojJust store in a baggie in the fridge I ABSOLUTELY LOVE LOVE my 21st Century BLT’s. I have shared your recipe with friends who are going plant based as well.

Keep up the great EDGY VEGGIE ness – you are awesome.

• Judith says:

Hi, I usually make my vegan bacon with coconut and it tastes really good but doesn’t look like bacon. I will try yours soon.

• Aubrey K. says:

I made these last night and they turned out FANTASTIC! I enjoyed them so much that I forgot to take a picture. I made another 2 more batches and forgot to take pictures yet again because these are just too tasty to last that long. I eventually got a picture after the 4th batch, wow are they photogenic! I wound up making the most deliciously crunchy BLT I’ve ever had.

THANK YOU, Candice, for helping to inspire me to go vegan, and for providing mouth-watering vegan recipes for me to try. I will be sharing this with all of my omnivorous friends to blow their minds.

WOW!!!! I love this account of your vegan-bacon-cooking adventure. I am so happy to be part of your journey! Welcome to the family!

• Coool dad says:

Best vegan bacon I’ve tried!! Amazing.

• Shannon says:

Oh my gosh! This looks insanely good and so real! I am not a fan of the eggplant and coconut bacon, so I will have to try this!

Let me know how you like it!

• Candice says:

Just made these. Will be great in a BLT, ceasar salad, pasta sauce etc. Have you tried wrapping asparagus in them and baking! I think I would like that. Oooooh and on a loaded baked potato! The salty crispy Smokey flavour will definitely add another element to these “meat lovin” dishes. Thanks!

• maryanne says:

This is getting me another step closer to finding a bacon substitute. Due to health conditions, my Dad was ordered “no salt” and he loved his bacon! Any ideas or substitute suggestions for the soy sauce? I am anxious to try this recipe.

Hmmmmmm perhaps try balsamic vinegar?

• Courtney says:

Liquid aminos is the closest to soy sauce ive found-i dont think balsamic would result in the same type of flavor

• Jess says:

Liquid aminos are **not** a health substitute to salt! The company was actually ordered to remove their “MSG free” labeling because it has the same effect on your body as MSG.

• milena says:

LIquid Aminos is pure MSG. Do NOT give this to your dad! If you don’t believe me, look at the amino acid breakdown they list on the (Braggs) label. Then focus in on glutamate. as in mono sodium glutamate. Yes, it is free radical glutamic acid, the same thing, once it has been hydrolized by the process to create the aminos by breaking down proteins with acids, and, it acts in the body the same as MSG. Now look at the percentage/ concentration of it compared to the other aminos. it is IMMENSE. I have a biochemistry degree if you doubt me, and I actually noticed this first, because Braggs was reacting in my body. I’d get so ill every time I used it 🙁

• Betsy says:

Coconut aminos is the lowest sodium soy sauce substitute I’ve found. And I have searched! 🙂 I’m a registered dietitian that works with heart patients and my dad has congestive heart failure.

• Madge says:

I use sodium abscorbate (vitamin c) in place of salt

• Gia says:

Can leftovers be frozen?

• Kim says:

Just made these tonight and they were yummy! Added a touch more maple syrup because I’m Canadian and we put that sh*t on everything…hahaha

• JoAnn Lakes says:

I’m going to try this the next time I want to make bacon. I’ve been making my bacon with yuca and pan frying it. It comes out crisp and tasty and holds up well in the fridge. I do think that I will reduce the amount of nutritional yeast in your recipe. I want a smokey taste not cheesy.

• Nancee says:

I made the bacon and had a great BLT…

• Nancee says:

Love it ..Can’t wait to have BLT sandwich.

• katie says:

pretty good! i used smoky chipotle adobe sauce instead of liquid smoke and paprika but i think it took over. needs a tad more salt- cant wait to try again!

• Lizzie Violet says:

Very similar to you, I am a Vegan and my partner is an Omni. Though I would never force him to go Vegan, I want to find alternatives for ALL the non-vegan things he eats! This will be a great replacement for Bacon. 🙂

• Mary says:

Love it! I would love your recipe for your morning ginger shots!