This tasty recipe for vegan scrambled eggs makes 4 servings using 8 simple ingredients! My tofu scrambled eggs recipe is one of my most popular vegan recipes and I wanted to share how to make it even better!
This quick and easy recipe will make the most creamy, buttery, and delicious vegan scrambled eggs! It’s perfect with a side of toast, avocado, and vegan bacon or even as a part of a Vegan Full English Breakfast!
Whether you’re searching for “vegan scrambled eggs” or a quick tofu scramble, this high protein recipe is for you! I really want to show you the basic ways on how to make vegan scrambled eggs, but also all the fun variations you can add to make it better.
Not everyone has random ingredients in their pantry and I noticed many vegan scrambled “eggs” weren’t using tofu, but instead flour, like chickpea flour, which I really don’t like. However, flours are great if you have a soy allergy and still want to make a vegan scrambled for breakfast!
Related Recipe: Vegan Bacon
VEGAN SCRAMBLED EGGS
NUT-FREE | VEGAN | GLUTEN-FREE
I’ve been working on perfecting my eggless scrambled eggs for almost a decade since going vegan. There are hundreds of you that make my tofu scramble every weekend (thanks for tagging me in your Instagram posts every weekend btw)!
So I wanted to update you on a new way to make vegan scrambled eggs. Instead of using 1 type of tofu, I discovered the best way to make a similar scrambled egg texture was to use one medium tofu and one firm! So here is my new vegan scrambled egg recipe!
VEGAN SCRAMBLED EGGS INGREDIENTS
This recipe has the following basic ingredients:
- Firm tofu and Medium tofu (or two firm if medium isn’t available)
- Nutritional yeast
- Garlic powder
- Black salt (kala namak) or sea salt
- Black pepper
- No-chicken bouillon cube or Vegetable bouillon (gluten-free optional)
Variations of Ingredients to use if you want:
- Coconut oil
- Dried dill
- Cherry tomatoes
- Vegan Cheese of choice
KITCHEN EQUIPMENT I USED:
Related Recipe: Israeli Tahini Toast
HOW TO MAKE VEGAN SCRAMBLED EGGS
Quick and easy way to make vegan scrambled eggs:
- Heat up a large pan over medium-high heat.
- In a small bowl or blender, combine nutritional yeast, garlic powder, turmeric, black salt, pepper, bouillon water, whisk or blend until well combined.
- Add crumbled tofu into pan and sauce mixture on top. Stir until combined. Cook without stirring for 4 minutes. Continue to sauté, stirring occasionally until the liquid has evaporated. Finished in 5-8 minutes!
Best way to make vegan scrambled eggs:
- Heat up a large pan over medium-high heat with a small amount of oil.
- Saute onion and garlic until translucent, about 3-5 minutes. Meanwhile, using a small bowl or blender, combine nutritional yeast, garlic powder, turmeric, black salt, pepper, bouillon water, whisk or blend until well combined.
- Add crumbled tofu and sauce mixture to the onions and garlic, and stir to combine. Cook without stirring for 4 minutes.
- Continue to stir occasionally, add additional spices (dried dill), spinach, chopped tomatoes and/or veggies of choice and saute until greens are wilted, or veggies are heated (about 3 minutes).
TIPS FOR VEGAN SCRAMBLED EGGS
Breakfast for one or two? This recipe makes plenty for four people, but if you only want to make two servings, just go with medium tofu (forget firm tofu), and half the other ingredients. You can also freeze the leftovers!
Meal Prep & Freeze Bulk – This recipe freezes well! I’ve made this recipe in batches. Just put in airtight containers and freeze! Any morning, just take out and pan-fry! If you can let it thaw when you first take it out, it’s even better.
Why use Medium and Firm Tofu: To get a texture close to a scrambled egg, I recommend using a medium and firm tofu scrambled together. You can use two packages of firm tofu, but I love the mixture of two different tofus and think it mimics scrambled eggs but vegan.
Don’t need to press liquid out of tofu – You can drain the liquid from your tofu, but you don’t need to worry about pressing the liquid out of the tofu. We’re going to cook the liquid out of the tofu! No need to waste time using a tofu press if you’re pressed for time! 😉
Using Black Salt (known as Kala Namak) – If you can’t find it at your store, you can buy it here! I’ve been using black salt for years to add a distinct sulphuric taste and smell for “eggy” recipes. It really takes your vegan scrambled “eggs” to the next level which is why I highly recommend getting it for your pantry.
Use Vegetable Boullion – I love adding vegetable bouillon to my eggy sauce because it adds a robust flavour and infuses with the tofu nicely. Vegetable bouillon usually flavours soup, but it also flavours tofu really well.
It’s Nut-free! This is one of the few vegan scrambled egg recipes that doesn’t use nut-milk or any forms of milk! This recipe is just as creamy without it, but if you do want to use plant-based milk, I recommend unsweetened soy milk.
- 1 package firm tofu, drained & crumbled
- 1 package medium tofu, drained & crumbled (or another firm if you don't have medium)
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp black salt (kala namak) or sea salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ½ cube of vegetable bouillon cube or ½ tsp vegetable bouillon
- ½ to 1 cup of water
- In a small bowl or blender, combine nutritional yeast, garlic powder, turmeric salt, pepper, bouillon water, whisk or blend until well combined.
- Meanwhile, heat up a large pan over medium-high heat.
- Add crumbled tofu, and sauce mixture, and stir until combined. Cook without stirring for 4 minutes. Continue to sauté, stirring occasionally until the liquid has evaporated. About 5-8 minutes.
1 tbsp coconut oil
1 clove garlic, minced
1 small onion, chopped
1 tsp dried dill, optional
Optional veggies: 1 cup fresh spinach, ¼ cup cherry tomatoes, halved
Heat a small amount of olive oil in a pan over medium heat. Saute onion and garlic until translucent, about 3-5 minutes.
In a small bowl or blender, combine nutritional yeast, garlic powder, turmeric salt, pepper, bouillon water, whisk or blend until well combined.
Add tofu and sauce mixture to the onions and garlic, and stir to combine.
Add spices, greens and/or veggies of choice and saute until greens are wilted, or veggies are heated about 3 minutes.
Looking For More Vegan Breakfast Recipes?
If you make this recipe, let me know what you think by leaving a star rating & comment below. It truly helps me & I really appreciate any support! Feel free to share your food photos on social and tag me @edgyveg so I don’t miss it!