Chana masala is one of my top choices for an Indian takeaway! It’s also one of my fave meals to make at home! I’m so happy to finally share my 10-ingredient instant pot chana masala recipe that uses staple pantry ingredients and can be made in about 1 hour.
Authentic Indian restaurants and takeout are one of life’s greatest pleasures. Indian food is fragrant, packed with flavour, and tremendously filling. I never regret opting for an Indian dish like Chana Masala or Dal. This is my take on the classic Indian dish, using an instant pot to make Chana Masala!
If you’re craving a hearty, and flavourful meal, this instant pot chana masala is an easy way to whip up and I promise that you’ll be making again and again.
Related Recipe: Instant Pot Indian Dal Recipe
What is Chana Masala?
Chana Masala is a classic Indian dish made by cooking chickpeas in a spiced onion and tomato curry sauce. Chana means chickpeas and masala is a mixture of ground spices, that are commonly found in Indian cooking. The goal of this dish is to achieve a warm, fragrant curry with a hearty chickpea base.
INSTANT POT CHANA MASALA
VEGAN | DAIRY-FREE | GLUTEN-FREE
This easy, warming dish can be served on its own with rice, or as a part of a full array of different Indian dishes. Made with 10 ingredients, this is an easy dish to whip up using pantry staples you probably already have.
INGREDIENTS FOR CHANA MASALA (VEGAN):
- Dried chickpeas
- Russet potato
- Olive oil
- Dried ginger
- Garlic powder or garlic cloves
- Chana Masala Mix, or curry powder
- Garam masala (optional)
- Small can of tomatoes with juice
- Ground turmeric
KITCHEN EQUIPMENT I USED:
Related Recipe: Curry Fries with Coconut Lime Dip
- 1 cup dried chickpeas rinsed and soaked in 4 cups water, for at least 8 hours
- 1 russet potato, diced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 tsp dried ginger
- 1 tsp garlic powder or 2 cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp Chana Masala Mix, or curry powderof your choosing + ½ tsp garam masala
- 2 tomatoes, chopped or 1 small can of tomatoes with juice, roughly 1½ cups
- ¼ teaspoon ground turmeric
- Drain the soaked chickpeas, rinse, and set aside.
- Using the saute setting, heat the olive oil and cook the onion and potato until translucent, stirring occasionally about 3-5 minutes. You can also add a small head of chopped cauliflower.
- Add the ginger powder and garlic and saute until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add the chana masala mix (or whatever curry powder/spices you are using) and stir for about 30 seconds, until fragrant.
- Add the rinsed and drained chickpeas as well as tomatoes and scrape the bottom of the pot to deglaze, and get rid of anything stuck to it. Add enough water to cover the chickpeas, as well as adding about 1½ inches, stir again.
- Cancel the saute function, place the lid, and close the pressure release valve.
- Hit the pressure button, and set the time to 15 minutes.
- Begin to cook rice or whatever you want to serve chana masala with.
- Allow the pressure to release naturally, this should take roughly 15 mins.
- Open the Instant Pot and stir in the turmeric.
- Serve over rice, with some naan.
Looking For More Vegan Chickpea Recipes?
If you make this recipe, let me know what you think by leaving a star rating & comment below. It truly helps me & I really appreciate any support! Feel free to share your food photos on social and tag me @edgyveg so I don’t miss it!