This traditional Indian dish is made with aromatic spices, lentils, tomatoes, and cilantro. It is usually served with basmati rice or naan, or both.
That’s why we’re loving the Instant Pot. It’s a super easy and quick way to prep your meals and let them cook while you’re off doing other things. Just set it and forget it. James and I are both really bad with routines and goal setting so I’m hoping that this guy, along with some solid willpower, will help us stay on track. You can of course make this recipe on the stove without an Instant Pot as well. Today’s recipe (in case you’ve forgotten by now thanks to my diatribe) is an easy, vegan Indian Dal. This lentil dal recipe is one of my favourites. I am obsessed with Indian food, but it’s just so darn expensive to order in every 2 nights (yup you read that correctly). Dal is a term in the Indian subcontinent for dried, lentils, peas, and beans. The term is also used for various soups prepared from these. This yummy Indian dal curry is a nutritious and flavourful vegetarian (and vegan) dish that’s quick to whip up and makes amazing leftovers. There are MANY variations for preparing dal, but this one is my quick go-to. Serve this easy dal recipe with toasted garlic naan or rice and warm yourself from the inside out.
Okay, let’s start cooking!! On your instant pot, press the ‘Sauté’ button, add heat the coconut oil. Add one chopped onion and cook it until it’s translucent. Then stir in garlic, ginger, cumin, turmeric, curry powder, garam masala, cayenne, and mustard seeds, and cook for another minute until fragrant. This dish is going to make your home smell AMAZING! Hit the ‘Cancel’ button and add the lentils, water, salt, chopped tomatoes and mix to combine. Then, cover the Instant Pot with the lid, and close the pressure valve. Press the ‘Pressure Cook’ button and set the cooking time to 10 minutes. Never put your face or hands near this valve. After the timer sounds, wait 10 mins before opening the pressure valve. Then, open the valve and stand back!!!! Remove the lid and mix the lentil mixture, add the chopped cilantro and stir to combine. Serve this on its own, over basmati rice, or with naan (regular or garlic), and top it with fresh cilantro. Bon appetit!
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp minced ginger
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 1 tsp garam masala
- ¼ tsp cayenne add more if you like your indian food spicy!
- ¼ tsp mustard seeds
- 1½ cups of dried brown or red lentils
- 3 cups water
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped + extra for garnish
- On your instant pot, press the 'Sauté' button, add heat the oil.
- Add onion and cook until translucent.
- Stir in garlic, ginger, cumin, turmeric, curry powder, garam masala, cayenne, and mustard seeds and cook for another minute until fragrant.
- Hit the 'Cancel' button and add lentils, water, salt, chopped tomatoes and mix to combine.
- Cover the Instant Pot with the lid, and close the pressure valve. Press the 'Pressure Cookl' button and set the cooking time to 10 minutes.
- After the timer sounds, wait 10 mins before opening the pressure valve.
- After 10 minutes, open the valve and stand back!!!!
- Mix the lentil mixture and add the chopped cilantro.
- Stir to combine, and serve over basmati rice or with naan (regular or garlic), and top it with fresh cilantro.
Hi! I’m Candice aka The Edgy Veg! I veganize popular food recipes for vegans, plant-based diets, eco-conscious eaters & people who are trying to eat more plants over… y’know animals or their by-products. I hope you enjoy this tasty vegan recipe!
Looking For More Vegan Meat Recipes?
Made this recipe? Let me know what you think by leaving a ★★★★★ star rating & comment below. It truly helps me & I really appreciate any support! Feel free to share your food photos on social and tag me @edgyveg so I don’t miss it!
SHARE THIS RECIPE ON PINTEREST