I’m going to show you how to make a creamy vegan Hungarian mushroom soup in under 40 minutes! Using 14 ingredients, this creamy Hungarian mushroom soup recipe is super easy and full of flavour! It’s also gluten-free!
This soup recipe makes a large batch and can be frozen or kept in the fridge and later warmed up for cozy healthy meals all week. It’s also perfect for meal prep on colder weeks. As soon as the weather starts to chill, all I can think about is warm, creamy, filling soups for every meal.
Related Recipe: Vegan Chicken Noodle Soup
Vegan Hungarian Mushroom Soup
This recipe is inspired by traditional Hungarian Mushroom Soup but vegan. It is creamy and thick and packed with umami flavour. The extra creaminess in this recipe comes from soy milk and blended cashews. Non-vegan versions of this soup often use sour cream, so the combination of cashews and lemon juice really satisfies that flavour and provides a vegan sour creaminess.
The way you blend is up to you, I prefer using an immersion blender in the pot but use what you have, you can carefully pour the ingredients into a high-speed blender and blend until smooth before serving. I like my soup very well blended but you can leave it a little bit chunky if you prefer.
Related Post: Vegan Potato Leek Soup
INGREDIENTS FOR HUNGARIAN MUSHROOM SOUP (VEGAN):
- Vegan Butter
- Cremini Mushrooms
- Sea Salt
- Dried Thyme
- No-Chicken or Vegetable Broth
- Soy Sauce
- Soy Milk
- Raw Cashews
- Lemon Juice
- Optional Toppings: Vegan Sour Cream, Fried Mushrooms, or Crispy Onions
Full Recipe Down Below!
- 1 lb (16oz) cremini mushrooms, sliced
- ¼ cup butter, vegan or plant-based
- 1 cooking onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- sea salt, as needed
- ¼ cup flour
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 2 tsppaprika
- 4 cups no-chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1½ cups soy milk
- ¼ cup raw cashews
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- optional toppings: Vegan sour cream, fried mushrooms, or crispy onions
- In a large pot, melt vegan butter over medium heat. Add chopped onions, garlic, mushrooms, and a pinch of salt, and cook for 15 minutes, or until onions are soft and translucent, and mushrooms have released their liquid.
- Stir flour into the mushrooms and cook, stirring often, for 2 mins.
- Add thyme and paprika, and stir in broth, and soy sauce. Stir to remove any clumps, then bring the mixture to a boil, and immediately reduce heat to medium and simmer until the soup begins to thicken about 10 mins. Add soy milk and simmer for about 10 mins.
- Reduce heat to low and transfer ¼ of the soup mixture to a blender, along with cashews and lemon juice. Blend until smooth.
- Add blended soup back to the pot and stir to combine.
- Garnish soup with chopped parsley, and serve on its own or with toast.
Hey I’m Candice aka The Edgy Veg – I veganize popular food recipes for vegans, plant-based diets, eco-conscious eaters & people who are trying to eat more plants over… y’know animals or their by-products. I hope you enjoy this tasty vegan recipe!
Looking For More Vegan Soup Recipes?
Made this recipe? Let me know what you think by leaving a ★★★★★ star rating & comment below. It truly helps me & I really appreciate any support! Feel free to share your food photos on social and tag me @edgyveg so I don’t miss it!