I’m going to show you how to make a creamy vegan broccoli potato soup in under 20 minutes! Using 13 ingredients, this creamy broccoli potato soup recipe is super easy and delicious! This recipe is great for lunch, dinner, or even meal prepping. Just keep in the fridge and warm up for cozy lunches all week.
This broccoli potato soup is perfect for the colder months. As soon as hot girl summer ends, my body immediately wants warm and cozy soups.
Related Recipe: Vegan Chicken Noodle Soup
Vegan Broccoli Potato Soup
The reason why this soup is so tasty compared to other recipes I tried is that there are so many “secret ingredients” in this soup. I start with a simple mirepoix, which is celery, carrot and onion. In my opinion, this is the perfect base for any soup. Adding potato to the soup adds a nice thickness and velvety texture once the soup is blended. With the broccoli, I like to ensure that I’m using the entire thing. I peel the stalk to get rid of the outer fibrous layer, then I slice up the stalk and separate the florets.
Using flour also helps to thicken the soup, just make sure you are cooking the flour before adding additional liquid, or you will be left with a raw flour flavour that is quite unpleasant. The nutritional yeast adds a subtle cheesiness that accompanies broccoli perfectly. Lastly, we add soy milk to increase the creaminess and protein to the soup. Other unsweetened plant-based milk would also work but I like soy because it does not separate and it has a neutral flavour while bringing the creamy aspect to the soup.
Looking for a gluten-free vegan broccoli potato soup?
You can omit flour from this recipe if you need it to be gluten-free. Just keep in mind the flour adds thickness, so if you need to leave it out due to gluten issues, your soup may require less broth or it could be on the liquidy side, but not a major issue as the taste will still be there.
Blending is up to you, I prefer using an immersion blender in the pot but use what you have, you can carefully pour the ingredients into a high-speed blender and blend until smooth before serving. I like my soup very well blended but you can leave it a little bit chunky if you prefer.
Related Post: Vegan Potato Leek Soup
INGREDIENTS FOR BROCCOLI POTATO SOUP (VEGAN):
- Gold Potato or Russet Potato
- Vegan Butter
- Salt & Pepper
- All-Purpose Flour (optional if you want gluten-free)
- Vegetable Broth
- Nutritional Yeast
- Unsweetened Soy Milk
KITCHEN EQUIPMENT I USED:
Full Recipe Down Below!
- 2 pounds broccoli florets and stems peeled and trimmed
- 1 small gold potato or russet potato, peeled and diced
- ⅓ cup vegan butter
- 1 cooking onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 stalk celery, chopped
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- sea salt
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- ¼ tsp grated nutmeg
- 2 cupsunsweetened soy milk
- black pepper
- Trim broccoli and peel/dice potatoe
- Melt half of the vegan butter in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add the onion, garlic, celery, carrots, broccoli stems, potatoes, and a pinch of salt, and saute until softened, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- Melt the second half of the butter in the pot you just used.
- Whisk in flour and cook for 2 mins, whisking constantly.
- Whisk in broth and soy milk making sure to remove clumps, and add the cooked veggies back into the mixture. Add nutritional yeast and nutmeg and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce to a simmer over medium heat, and cook until potatoes and broccoli are soft, about 20 minutes.
- Using an immersion blender or high-speed blender, puree the soup.
- Season salt and pepper.
- Serve garnished with parsley or more nutritional yeast if desired, and a side of toast or baguette.
Hey I’m Candice aka The Edgy Veg – I veganize popular food recipes for vegans, plant-based diets, eco-conscious eaters & people who are trying to eat more plants over… y’know animals or their by-products. I hope you enjoy this tasty vegan recipe!
Looking For More Vegan Soup Recipes?
Made this recipe? Let me know what you think by leaving a ★★★★★ star rating & comment below. It truly helps me & I really appreciate any support! Feel free to share your food photos on social and tag me @edgyveg so I don’t miss it!