Looking for a unique vegan mac & cheese that’s easy? Try this vegan french onion mac and cheese recipe in under 40 mins! Using just 10 ingredients, this show stopper vegan recipe is perfect to share with vegans and non-vegans who love cheesy pasta and bread.
French onion soup is a famous dish that is time-consuming but well-loved by many. Using the store-bought dried soup mix (which is often accidentally vegan), you can make this french onion-inspired meal that combines the deep flavours of french onion soup with the perfection of mac & cheese.
Related Recipe: Jaime Oliver’s Mac and Cheese But Vegan
Vegan French Onion Mac & Cheese
So many ingredients that I love are accidentally vegan, it is often more affordable for the manufacturers to use vegan alternatives to animal products. I always recommend reading the ingredients on store-bought ingredients because you may be surprised to find out that they are vegan! Things like puff pastry and this dried soup mix, use vegan ingredients and are used by non-vegans in their cooking.
All you need to do to make this vegan recipe is cook the pasta for 5 minutes while making a quick roux using vegan butter and flour, whisking while adding the soy milk, soup mix and vegan cheese, then add to the pasta in a casserole dish, and top with garlic bread and more cheese, then bake until melted and bubbly just like french onion soup.
Related Post: Cheese Burger Macaroni Skillet
INGREDIENTS FOR FRENCH ONION MAC & CHEESE (VEGAN):
- Vegan Butter
- All-Purpose Flour
- Unsweetened Soy Milk
- French Onion Soup Mix (Lipton & Great Value brands are vegan-friendly)
- Vegan Cheddar-Style Cheese
- Vegan Mozzarella-Style Cheese
- Roasted Garlic
KITCHEN EQUIPMENT I USED:
- 2½ cups macaroni noodles
- ¼ cup vegan butter
- ¼ cup unbleached flour
- 2 cups unsweetened soy milk
- 1 packet onion soup mix (Lipton & Great Value brands are vegan-friendly)
- 1 cup vegan cheddar-style cheese
- ½ cup mozzarella-style cheese
- ¼ baguette, cut into ½-inch slices
- 1 head roasted garlic (see recipe)
- ½ cup cheddar-style cheese
- ½ cup mozzarella-style cheese
- 2 tbsp parsley, chopped
- Preheat oven to 450F.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook macaroni for 5 minutes. Reserve 1 cup of the pasta water and drain pasta.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan over medium heat, melt vegan butter.
- Add flour and whisk constantly for 1-2 minutes (or until the mixture turns light brown). Remove from heat and gradually pour in the soy milk, whisking constantly.
- Return the pan to the heat, and whisk for 3-5 minutes or until thickened.
- Add the onion soup mix and 1 cup cheddar and ½ cup mozzarella cheese and stir to combine and until the cheese is melted.
- Pour the sauce over the top of the cooked elbow macaroni. Stir to combine. Add some pasta water as needed to create a thick and velvety sauce that clings to the pasta.
- Pour the pasta mixture into a casserole dish and spread out in an even layer.
- Spread roasted garlic on one side of each baguette and place them on top of the macaroni, garlic-side up.
- Sprinkle the pasta and baguette evenly with ½ cup cheddar and ½ cup mozzarella.
- Bake the mac & cheese for 12-15 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbling.
- Remove from the oven and garnish with parsley.
- Allow the dish to sit for 5-10 minutes, then serve.
Hey I’m Candice aka The Edgy Veg – I veganize popular food recipes for vegans, plant-based diets, eco-conscious eaters & people who are trying to eat more plants over… y’know animals or their by-products. I hope you enjoy this tasty vegan recipe!
Looking For More Vegan Mac and Cheese Recipes?
Made this recipe? Let me know what you think by leaving a ★★★★★ star rating & comment below. It truly helps me & I really appreciate any support! Feel free to share your food photos on social and tag me @edgyveg so I don’t miss it!