Not only is this Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese vegan, nut free, and soy free… it’s also incredibly delicious! And, it’s perfect for the whole family no matter the dietary restrictions! The PERFECT vegan mac and cheese!
I’m obsessed with plant-based mac and cheese recipes. There are just so many great ways to eat this rich, creamy childhood favorite, which is why I have many Vegan mac and cheese recipes on my blog (scroll below).
And this week, I have another one for you! A vegan mac and cheese made with healthy butternut squash!
It can be challenging to find a healthy dinner for you as well as the whole family to enjoy during the holidays. Pleasing vegans, as well as adults and kids with food allergies, can difficult. This is why my nut free, soy free, vegan Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese dish is perfect for anyone!
BUTTERNUT SQUASH MAC AND CHEESE (Vegan, Nut Free, Soy Free)
- 500g penne or your favourite shape of pasta(enough for 4 people)
- 2 cups roasted butternut squash
- ½-3/4 cup unsweetened plant based milk of choice
- 1 tbsp tapioca or cornstarch
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp paprika
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp - 1 tsp sea salt + extra to taste
- pinch of cayenne (optional)
- ¼ cup vegan parmesan cheese (optional)
- ¼ tsp red pepper chili flakes (optional)
- 1 tbsp parsley, chopped
- Bring a large stockpot of salted water to a boil.
- In the boiling water, cook pasta as directed on the package.
- Meanwhile, in a blender add butternut squash, ½ cup soy milk, starch, nutritional yeast, onion powder, garlic powder, mustard, lemon juice, olive oil, salt
- Blend until smooth. Add more soy milk as needed.
- Season to taste with salt and cayenne.
- Place into a small saucepot, over medium heat and cook, stirring constantly until sauce has heated through.
- Drain pasta in a colander and transfer back into the stockpot.
- Add the
cheese-sauceto the pasta, along with vegan parm if using, and stir until combined.
- Serve pasta topped with vegan parmesan cheese, chili flakes
- **How to Roast a
butternutSquash: Preheat oven to 350F. Halve 1 large or 2 small butternut squashes and place them on a baking sheet flesh side up. Drizzle some oil over the squash, and season with a bit of salt and pepper. Roast for 45-50 minutes, or until the squash is golden brown and/or tender. **
If you like this Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese, you might also like these:
View this post on Instagram
Have you made the #Vegan Mac & Cheese from the #edgyvegcookbook?🧀💁🏼 ::: Thanks @no9supperclub for tagging us in your #edgyveg creation! I love that you added Mushroom Bacon🍄🥓 Looks delicious! ::: If you don't have a copy, our Cookbook is AVAILABLE online and in-stores!📙 _______________________________⠀⠀ 🌮🍔💃🏼We’re The Edgy Veg and we’re on a journey to revolutionize vegan #food Instead of salads and smoothies, we stuff our faces with burgers, tacos, pizza and take out. Check out your favourite #veganfood on our #YouTube channel and our #foodblog Theedgyveg.com⠀⠀ _______________________________⠀⠀ #foodporn #foodlover #foodblogger #plantbased #foodies #vegansofig #veganfood #veganfoodshare #whatveganseat #youtubers #foodstyling #comfortfood #veganfoodporn #vegansofinstagram #yummyfood #recipes #vegetarianfood #veganrecipes #plantbasedfood #easyrecipes #foodrecipes #cheesey #macandcheese