This vegan carbonara pasta recipe is super easy & quick! Using simple at-home vegan ingredients, this Carbonara pasta only takes 17 minutes!
Carbonara is traditionally made using ingredients like egg, bacon, cheese, and black pepper and will show you how to make vegan carbonara that still has that egg, bacon, cheese taste & smell!
Related Recipe: Vegan Cacio e Pepe Pasta
VEGAN & NUT-FREE
This vegan carbonara might have many ingredients but don’t let the ingredient list scare you! Most of it is seasoning and simple ingredients to help mimic traditional carbonara, but vegan!
Every ingredient will come together to give you a carbonara that’s thick and creamy, as well as rich and delicious.
The sundried tomato bacon bits in this recipe were inspired by Sam from It Doesn’t Taste Like Chicken. Years ago I saw her recipe and I was blown away by her creativity. To make the sauce, we used soft tofu to get the perfect creamy texture, the sauerkraut brine gives the sauce a sharpness akin to pecorino cheese, the same way we make cheese fondue, and miso adds umami flavour.
Related Recipe: Pad Thai Carbonara
INGREDIENTS FOR CARBONARA (VEGAN):
- Soy Sauce
- Liquid Smoke
- Garlic Powder
- Sun-Dried Tomatoes (not packed in oil)
- Soft Tofu or Silken Tofu
- Nutritional Yeast
- Corn Starch
- White Miso
- Sauerkraut Brine
- Black Salt
- Olive Oil
KITCHEN EQUIPMENT I USED:
- Mixing Bowl
- Chef’s Knife
- Measuring Utensils
- High-Speed Blender
- Large Pan
- Pasta Pot
- Tongs or Ladle
- Food Scale (optional)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- ¼ tsp liquid smoke
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp paprika
- ½ cup sun-dried tomatoes (not packed in oil), roughly chopped
- 12oz (340g) spaghetti
- 1 cup soft or silken tofu
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp corn starch
- 1 tbsp white miso
- 2 tbsp -1/4 cup sauerkraut brine (start with 2 tbsp)
- ½ tsp - 1 tsp black salt
- ¼-1/2 tsp turmeric
- 2 tbsp + 2 tsp olive oil
- In a small bowl, whisk together; soy sauce, liquid smoke, paprika, and garlic powder. Add sun-dried tomatoes, and coat them completely. Set aside.
- Bring a pot of salted (1/2 tsp -1 tsp) water, to a boil. Cook your pasta until al dente, around 7-9 mins). Reserve 1 cup of cooking liquid.
- Meanwhile, into a high-speed blender, add silken tofu, nutritional yeast, corn starch, miso, brine, black salt, and turmeric. Blend on high until combined. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat up 2 tsp olive oil in a small pan over medium-high heat. Fry up the marinated sun-dried tomatoes until crispy.
- Add ¼ cup reserved pasta liquid to the blender and blend until creamy. Slowly drizzle in 2 tbsp of olive oil while blending at a medium-low.
- When the pasta is ready, transfer to a large stir-fry pan over medium-high heat. Pour a third of the mixture from the blender, toss to coat, add more or less depending on how saucy you want your pasta. Add reserved pasta water ¼ cup at a time. Cook, stirring constantly until your sauce becomes silky and creamy.
- Season to taste with additional black salt, pepper. And top with sun-dried tomato bacon.
Hey I’m Candice aka The Edgy Veg – I veganize popular food recipes for vegans, plant-based diets, eco-conscious eaters & people who are trying to eat more plants over… y’know animals or their by-products. I hope you enjoy this tasty vegan recipe!
Looking For More Vegan Pasta Recipes?
Made this recipe? Let me know what you think by leaving a ★★★★★ star rating & comment below. It truly helps me & I really appreciate any support! Feel free to share your food photos on social and tag me @edgyveg so I don’t miss it!