This is a veganized version of Chrissy Teigen’s Pad Thai Carbonara recipe from her new cookbook Cravings, Hungry For More! This vegan version is creamy, comforting and perfect if you’re craving both carbonara & Pad Thai! Hearty spaghetti noodles, broccoli, green onions and vegan bacon, tossed in a delicious miso sauce, and vegan eggs. Am I the only one that craves multiple types of noodles at once? No? Ok.
This week on The Edgy Veg, I’m going to show you how to turn Chrissy Teigen’s popular (and controversial) Pad Thai Carbonara recipe vegan! Chrissy Teigen is one of my favourite humans and her cookbooks are incredibly beautiful. Even as someone who is plant based, I can appreciate the eye-candy that is a gorgeous food photo.
This particular recipe of hers caused quite the stir on Instagram due to mixing Pad Thai flavours with a classic Carbonara recipe. Like, what? Two distinctively unique cultural dishes into one? So many people thought that it was wrong, but I’m all about fusion food, so when you guys suggested veganizing some of her recipes, I had to start with this guy. Plus, now I can enjoy it too.
If guys LOVE Pad Thai, as well as Carbonara, then you’re probably going to love these two amazing dishes together. It’s confusing at first- but grows on you. it is SO tasty.
The eggs and bacon make this dish like a carbonara, but the Thai flavours make it pad Thai – This is the flavour hybrid that drove the internet wild. I tried veganizing it with vegan eggs and vegan bacon to see if I could get it to look and taste like the original but totally plant-based. Watch the video below to see how it turned out.
Watch How To Make Vegan Pad Thai Carbonara
Never miss a video by clicking here to Subscribe to my Channel!
If you want to view or print the recipe card, just scroll down for the full list of ingredients and simple instructions on how to make this vegan pad thai carbonara.
This recipe only needed a few swaps. The Eggs and the bacon. For the bacon, I used King’s Cafe Vegetarian vegan bacon (it’s available in Toronto where I Live) but any vegan bacon will do! For the eggs, I swapped with Vegan Egg, but Just Egg or the Vegg Scramble will work as well. When it comes to pasta, most store-bought varieties are in fact vegan, unless it’s fresh pasta; just make sure to read your labels.
Save This Vegan Pad Thai Carbonara Recipe
- 2½ tbsp sweet soy sauce
- 1 tbsp miso paste
- 1½ tsp low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1 tbsp no-chicken bouillon
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 6 slices vegan bacon, cut into 2-cm squares
- 4 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- ½ tsp thai chilli powder, or to taste
- 1 small head broccoli, cut into florets
- 225g spaghetti, cooked to al dente & drained
- 2 eggs worth of Vegan Egg or Just Egg, prepared
- 2 spring onions, cut into 2-cm lengths
- In a small bowl, whisk together the sweet soy sauce, miso paste, and low-sodium soy sauce. This is your sauce. Set aside.
- Prepare the broth my mixing together the boullion and water. Set aside.
- In a wok or very large pan, heat oil over medium high heat and cook the bacon until just gently crisped, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the garlic and chilli powder to the pan and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Add the sauce, and cook until reduced slightly, about 1 minute.
- Add the broccoli, splash with half the prepared broth, and cook until tender but firm, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Increase the heat to high and add the spaghetti and the rest of the broth. Cook, tossing, until heated through and the sauce is absorbed, about 3 to 5 minutes (if it feels too dry, splash in more broth or water a little at a time).
- Season with additional soy sauce if necessary to taste.
- Add the vegan egg mixture, and toss until you get a creamy sauce coating the noodles.
- Toss in the spring onions and serve.
You guys must try this Vegan Pad Thai Carbonara recipe & let me know what you think! Once you try it, come back and leave me a comment below with your feedback and star rating! If you make this, let me see on social! Tag @edgyveg on your photo & add the hashtag #theedgyveg in your caption so I don’t miss it!
Click here for New Vegan Recipes from The Edgy Veg.
Pin this Vegan Pad Thai Carbonara Recipe to Pinterest