Easy Vegan Fondue Recipe | Dairy-Free Fondue

vegan fondue recipe

Seems like a contradiction of terms doesn’t it? Vegan fondue…? Well, it wouldn’t be another typical day in The Edgy Veg if I wasn’t trying to solve the rubik’s cube that is vegan comfort food, would it? Well, finally, after many years of trial and error, the vegan fondue recipe has finally been given the Carnivore Approved stamp of approval by multiple omni-friends and family.

I’ve always found it was hard to find a recipe for vegan fondue that was worth even trying. For 8 years I’ve been looking up recipes for this dish and nothing has ever looked appealing to me. Fondue has always been an apres-ski or warm comforting winter meal for me. As a former european (I used to live in Germany), categorizing cheese as it’s own food group was 100% acceptable; but slowly became the hardest thing for me to give up as a new vegan. I still struggle with it, and I think I always will. Cheese is just one of those things I have had to come to terms with the fact that I will now forever have to live without. Well, that was the case until I took it apon myself to find worthy solutions for myself and others so that no one would ever be able to use “…but cheese” as an excuse to not go vegan ever again. But enough of the borderline-preachy stuff… let’s talk fondue…

This creamy, cheesy fondue is worth dipping all of the things into. Throw a vegan fondue party  for your friends, a date night with a loved one, serve on game day, or just for yourself— we all need a self-love date with ourselves after all.  Few things can top fondue as a fun and engaging (an impressive) meal for entertaining guests. I mean, who doesn’t love melted cheese right?

To make the texture of my vegan fondue worthy, I use a combination of potato (for starch), rice and cashews (for creaminess), and tapioca starch (for stretchiness). You will need a powerful blender to make this recipe, or simply a normal blender with patience and time.  To get that cheesy fermented flavour, I use miso, white wine vinegar, and the juice from a jar of white sauerkraut. This adds a nice tang similar to emmental or gruyere.

You have to make sure that you an arsenal of delicious dippers for your cheese fondue. Bread is great, and i’m all about that #CarbLife , but variety is the spice of life. My favourite dippers are  crusty french baguette, sourdough or walnut bread, plenty of fresh vegetables such as lightly blanched cauliflower or broccoli florets, vinegary gherkins, or pickled onions. Roasted potatoes are also delicious along with your favourite vegan sausages.

vegan cheese fondue recipeFondue party rules

1. Start with the bread: Traditionally, you start with pieces of bread in your cheese fondue, and then move on to dipping in vegetables, faux meats and whatever else you want.
    2. The proper method for dipping: Scrape the bread, or potato on the bottom of the pot in a zig zag. This helps stir the pot and prevents it from burning on the bottom of the pot. Let the excess “cheese” drip back into the pot, to prevent wastage and allow it to cool for a moment. No one needs burnt mouth that you can’t taste with.
    3. Don’t eat directly off your fondue fork: …or double dip. Instead of double dipping or eating off your fondue fork, remove the dipped food, and place on your plate. Then pick it up with your regular fork to eat it.
    4. “Shot in the Middle” : The “coupe d’midi”, or “shot in the middle”, is when you take a shot of Kirsch schnapps, in the middle of the meal to create more room for food. Somehow this magically produces more room if you’re feeling too full.
    5. Don’t Drink Water With Cheese Fondue: It will cause the bread to swell. Dry white wine or tea are the best accompaniments to fondue.
    6. If anyone loses their bread in the cheese, they have to run around the kitchen naked. Seriously.

…And on that note, just trust me, you won’t find a better vegan fondue recipe out there. I hope you decide to invite cheese fondue back into your life by sharing this dairy free, cholesterol free, lactose free, casein free, animal free vegan fondue with a party of your closest friends! Happy New Year! And happy FUN-do-ing!

Easy Vegan Fondue Recipe | Dairy-Free Fondue

This is the best vegan fondue recipe out there! This dairy free cheese fondue is perfect for entertaining guests, or having a romantic date night in for two. Using rice, potato and cashews as the creamy base makes this a healthy, vegan, plant based cheese fondue option.
Recipe type: Main
Cuisine: Swiss
Serves: Serves 6-8
  1. In a large saucepan, heat up olive oil over medium high heat. Add onions and garlic and sweat until translucent, about 3 minutes.
  2. Add bouillon cubes, water, potato, rice, and cashews and bring to a boil.
  3. Once boiling, reduce heat to a simmer, and cover.
  4. Cook until rice and potatoes are soft, 25-30 mins. Stir occasionally.
  5. Once the rice and potatoes are soft, remove from heat and transfer to a blender. If you have a smaller blender, and it doesn't all fit, do this in batches.
  6. Blend with the feeding hole open to release steam, until very very smooth. If you do not have a high speed blender, this will take longer. Give the motor a break every minute or so, and blend until smooth.
  7. Once your potato mixture is smooth, add sauerkraut water, nutritional yeast, vinegar, tapioca starch, miso, salt and mustard powder. Blend again until well incorporated 30-60 seconds.
  8. Now you can store this in the fridge until you are ready to serve your party guests, or serve right away.
Make the fondue:
  1. Pour the cheese mixture into the top of a double boiler or a fondue pot set, heat.
  2. Once heated and soft, using a whisk, mix in white wine and kirsh schnapps.
  3. Heat and whisk the mixture until it’s very hot.
  4. Serve with warm chunks of French bread, roasted potatoes or veggies, green apples, and gherkins or pickled onions.
  5. Bon apetit!
vegan cheese fondue recipe

vegan cheese fondue recipe

• Katie says:

I’m dairy-free, not vegan… could I use chicken bouillon cubes instead of vegetable? I can’t find vegetable anywhere! Looking forward to trying this on my birthday this year, since we will be stuck inside!

Chicken bouillon is not vegan friendly so I can’t recommend it. Vegetable bouillon cubes, paste or powder will work!

• Madeline says:

You are a miracle worker! This fondue was spot on amazing! We always do a fondue night with our for kids for Valentine’s Day and this year we are plant-based so this was a life saver! Even my mom who isn’t vegan thought it was amazing.

• Caitlin says:

Excellent sauce. The kraut sauce and the wine make it very rich and interesting. It also almost had a waxiness to it, like real cheese. Used medium grain rice and it was fine.

• Katie says:

Super excited to surprise my gluten free/dairy free family with this, but mine has come out more brown than yellow, so with consistency, I feel like I’m more peanut butter than cheese— any recommendations to help with the color? Thanks!!

Make sure you’re using a yellow potato, white rice, white wine and soaking the cashews overnight. Also, try a white miso. Hopefully, these will lead you to a more accurate colour for your fondue.

• isabell says:

This is uncanny. It tastes so real.
    Thank you!!!!

• Kat Germain says:

Someone asked the question, but i dont’ think it was answered – can this be frozen? And/ or how long will it last in the fridge for?

• Kay says:

Allergic to cashews. Any suggestion for a substitution?

• Mike Gibson says:

Brillant. Everyone loved it, and we recently took a trip to Switzerland where the omnivores ate a lot of fondue. I am glad I got to try it, it was a hit with everyone. I recommend making a meal out of this, it’s a LOT of fondue. Thank you so much for the recipe, going to check out your book that I read about in these reviews for sure!

• Rebecca says:

This was perfect for an evening in with my boyfriend! I can’t wait to try your chocolate fondue recipe next!!

This makes me so happy to hear! Thanks for leaving 5 Stars! IT really helps my recipe reach more people for them to enjoy 🙂

• Brandon says:

Just made this and was so delicious! I have some left over and want to use in the coming weeks (fondue twice in one week may be over kill) do you think I could freeze this?

• Rebecca Varholak says:

Hi! I am having a hard time finding tapioca starch…..until I order it can I use arrowroot powder? I am making this for Christmas Eve!!

• Christian says:

I have never before posted a comment on a recipe web site but had to do it now. You’re right, this has to be by far the best vegan cheese fondue recipe on the internet… and maybe even the best cheese fondue recipe, period. I was highly sceptical as I was making this but it’s a miracle. I’m ordering your book!

• Katie K says:

I tried this recipe (from inside your book!) this weekend for a pumpkin carving party, and it was AMAZING! Totally stretchy just like cheese, and it for real really does taste like fondue!!! HOW DID YOU DO THAT?! A table full on omnis ate it until they were out of bread, apples, and potatoes, and pita chips for dipping! I feel like roasting some B sprouts and dipping them would be divine! Thank you for all your hard work!!!!!!

• Susi says:

Wow. This is the only thing that I thought I would miss when becoming vegan. I was very sceptical when reading the title, but the comments here are so good that I will try it out. I’m looking forward to try this.
    Thanks in advance for your work figuring out this recipie.
    One question: I read that miso can be replaced with soy sauce. Do you agree?

• Kathryn Khoury says:

Excellent! Do you think I could use the leftovers to make a Mac & Cheese?

• Mrs Pottersmith says:

This is a great recipe! I made this exactly like it was written and it was absolutely fantastic ! 5 stars!!!!! One thing to know is that about 3/4 the way though cooking this I had no testerorone left and I liked he Hillary campaign in Facebook! Transgenders forever!

• Rosemary says:

Does the alcohol cook out of this? I want to share it with my toddler but not if there’s any alcohol in it.

• Ribin Lapin says:

Brown miso is NOT VEGAN!! It may contain Bonito which is fish. This recipe should not include this ingredient!

Not all miso uses bonito. There are hundreds of miso options that don’t use bonito. Just be sure to read the label before buying/using.

• Bruno says:

Looks amazing but I need to know: is it on the thick side? I prefer my fondue not extremely thick, so should I add slightly less rice and tapioca ? thx

• Eric Lebel says:

What is the purpose of the kirsch on the taste?

Fondue is traditionally served with kirsch as it adds a more complex flavour to the fondue. The alcohol burns off, so you can’t really taste it all that much. An alternative would be to use brandy.

• Beth says:

New Years’ Eve 2017, eating this right now with my mom and daughter. Fondue was a New Year’s tradition for us, until my daughter became a vegan, but now it’s back! Thanks SO much!!! It is fantastic!!!! We didn’t have the Kirsch…
    The only thing we think we would maybe do different , is possibly use white Miso next time instead of brown. We don’t know anything about Miso, but we liked the color better before we added the brown Miso. Would that change the flavor too much?

Hey Beth! The change in miso shouldn’t change the taste of the fondue, just the colour! So happy to hear you guys got to enjoy vegan fondue this year!

• Jenn Swanson says:

Can it be made with something other than cashews? Nut allergy…

• Sarah says:

This recipe is amazing! Make it, just DO it! It was thoroughly enjoyed by vegans and non-vegans at our annual raclette and fondue dinner party. Yum!

• Carrie says:

This is probably the best fondue I have ever eaten…and I’ve had 45 Christmas Eve fondue dinners. The non plant based people in my family loved it and were surprised after they found out it was plant based. Thank you so much!! And happy Christmas!

• Amy says:

Oh, also, can this be frozen before adding the wine and kirsch?

• Amy says:

OMG!! Just made the base for the fondue tomorrow. Sooooo good. My husbands vegan, not me but this tastes like cheese. I can’t believe it!! Great job 🏆

• Amy says:

Making this for Christmas Eve dinner. Can I use cornstarch instead of tapioca starch? (I’m not at all familiar with tapioca starch)

The corn starch is more of a thickener, while the potato starch makes the cheese nice and stretchy and melty. I recommend using the potato starch. HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

• Sarah says:

Is potato starch the same thing as tapioca starch? I’m making this today, so excited to try it!

Tapioca starch is what gives this cheese it’s stringy, cheesy gooey-ness. I do not recommend replacing it with another starch if you want a real cheeselike consistency.

• Zoe says:

Can you make this with non-raw cashews?

• Loddel says:

Great recipe! We made this tonight and absolutely loved it. We will definately be making it again! 😀

• Faza says:

This fondue recipe is bombastic 🙂 100% approve from me as a native Swiss! Thank you for sharing.

• Charly says:

Oh I am so excited to have found those and SO looking forward to trying it – thank you thank you thank you!

• Ashley says:

Do you think this could be made ahead? I’d like to be able to store in the fridge overnight and reheat the following day.

• Sandra says:

I am a cheeseaholic, so I can’t wait to try this and see what it tastes like. Can I use a bottle of sauerkraut juice instead of a jar of sauerkraut? https://www.amazon.com/Hamptons-Brine-Sauerkraut-Kvass/dp/B01EMAKVOI/ref=pd_sim_325_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=D963NP9FZVD7DWC2A396

• jan says:

I made this and found it very good…but I used it to top potatoes and other veg as a “cheese” sauce. Everyone liked it. The first time I made it I forgot the cashews and it was still good and I never use the alcohol (It isn’t necessary)

• TJ Vanwye says:

All I have is red miso can I use that instead of brown?

• Olivia says:

Eeeeeeeee!!! Thank you so much, I have the cutest fondue pot (it’s yellow, with orange fits to make it look like Swiss cheese) that I had to put away when I became vegan. Thanks to you I now have a recipe that looks delicious and doesn’t scare me off with vegan cheese!! So glad you do what you do, you make being a vegan so easy.

• Tonton Vegan says:

Same here!! It is freakin amazing!! Congrats!!!

• j says:

WOW This SO similar to real cheese fondue! I am totally shocked!!!!