This vegan menemen Turkish-style recipe is a delicious 15-mins scramble for breakfast that’s so tasty! The best part is that it’s an easy and nutritious vegan breakfast that isn’t oatmeal or a smoothie.
I adapted the recipe from Ozlem’s Turkish Table and made it vegan to make it more accessible for those who eat plant-based. For a breakfast that is ready in just 15 minutes, this one is a keeper.
Related Recipe: Israeli Tahini Toast
VEGAN & GLUTEN-FREE
If you’re looking for a super easy, healthy breakfast for the whole family or for a great breakfast meal-prep for the week, this vegan menemen is for you! This meal is a Turkish-Style tofu scramble with tomato is full of flavour and I can’t wait for you to make it! You also serve it with potatoes, toast, or on its own.
Related Recipe: Authentic Israeli Hummus
INGREDIENTS FOR TURKISH-STYLE MENEMEN (VEGAN):
- Nutritional Yeast
- Garlic Powder
- Black Salt (Kala namak) to mimic egg-y smell or Sea Salt
- No-Chicken Bouillon or Vegetable Bouillon
- Medium Tofu (I used standard 454g blocks)
- Olive Oil
- Green Pepper
- Green Onions
- Canned Diced Tomatoes
- Dried Oregano
- Red Pepper Flakes
- White Vegan Cheese of Choice
- Sea Salt and Pepper
- Chopped Parsley (optional topping)
Serve on the side with:
KITCHEN EQUIPMENT I USED:
FULL RECIPE DOWN BELOW!
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- ½-1 tsp black salt (Kala namak) or sea salt
- ¼ cube of no-chicken bouillon cube or ½ tsp vegetable bouillon
- ½ cup water
- 1½ blocks of medium tofu, drained (I used standard 454g blocks)
- 2 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 3 cups canned diced tomatoes, with their juices
- ½ tsp paprika (because I couldn't find dried Aleppo pepper)
- ½ tsp dried oregano, plus more as needed
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes
- ½ cup white vegan cheese of choice
- Sea salt and Pepper to taste
- ¼ cup chopped parsley (optional topping)
- In a small bowl or blender, combine nutritional yeast, garlic powder, turmeric, black salt or sea salt, bouillon and water. Whisk or blend until combined and lump-free. Set aside.
- Heat a medium-size pan over medium-high heat.
- Crumble tofu with your hands and add to the pan. Cook for 3 minutes.
- Add broth mixture to the pan with the tofu, and cook without stirring for 4 minutes.
- Continue to sauté, stirring occasionally until the liquid has evaporated, about 5-8 minutes. Remove from the pan and place in a bowl.
- Heat 2 tbsp olive oil in a frying pan over medium heat.
- Add green pepper and cook for 2 mins.
- Add green onions, canned diced tomatoes with juices, paprika, oregano, and red pepper flakes and cook stirring until heated.
- Add vegan cheese of choice, and scrambled tofu to the pan and combine well. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until the cheese has melted and the tofu is heat through.
- Taste and season with salt and black pepper to taste.
- Serve warm garnished with parsley and with toasted or crusty bread, and vegan unsweetened yogurt(optional) on the side
Looking For More Vegan Breakfast Recipes?
- Vegan Monte Cristo Pancakes
- Vegan Savoury Scones
- The BEST Vegan Omelette
- Full English Breakfast
- Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole
Made this recipe? Let me know what you think by leaving a ★★★★★ star rating & comment below. It truly helps me & I really appreciate any support! Feel free to share your food photos on social and tag me @edgyveg so I don’t miss it!
Share My Recipe on Pinterest!