I’m going to show you how to make my easy vegan recipe for pop tarts! You can choose to fill your vegan pop tart(s) with any jam – I choose strawberry jam to make vegan strawberry pop tarts!
All you need is pie crust dough or shells, jam filling for your vegan pop tart, soy milk, maple syrup, vanilla and powdered sugar to make an authentic pop tart that’s vegan!
Related Recipe: Vegan Butter Tarts
How To Make Vegan Pop Tarts
This vegan pop tart recipe is super easy to make & only takes 25 mins to make!
For the pie crust, I recommend buying store-bought pie crust dough (most are vegan-friendly just look at the ingredients – look for ones made with vegetable shortening), rolling out the pastry and cutting out 3×5 in squares (about the size of an index card) to make pop tart shapes! Bunch and knead together the excess/remaining piece of crust, roll out and repeat until you’ve used it all. You can also use frozen pie crust shells and thaw them out to mould them into pop-tart shapes!
For your pop tart’s vegan mixture, choose a jam that you love and want into a pop tart like strawberry jam to make vegan strawberry pop tarts. For the vegan pop tart icing, you’ll whisk together powdered sugar, soy milk, jam and vanilla once your pop tarts are done baking.
Full Recipe Down Below
INGREDIENTS FOR POP TARTS (VEGAN):
- Pie Crust Shells or Dough (vegan-friendly)
- Soy milk (unsweetened)
- Maple Syrup
- Jam or Jelly (Strawberry)
- Powdered Sugar
- Measuring Utensils
- Mixing Bowl
- Silicone Baking Mat
- Baking Sheet
- Rectangle cookie/cake/pie cutter (3×5) – optional
- Many store-bought frozen pie pastry shells or dough are “accidentally” vegan! Just check the ingredients list to avoid eggs, milk and butter. Find ones made with vegetable shortening, chances are it is accidentally vegan.
- 1 vegan-friendly pie crust dough (or 2 frozen pie crust shells), thawed
- 2 tbsp+ 2-3 tbsp unsweetened soy milk
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- ½ cup + 2 tbsp strawberry jelly or jam, as needed
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla
- unbleached flour, as needed
- Preheat oven to 375F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- In a small cup whisk together soy milk and maple syrup. Set aside.
- Unroll or flatten the pie crust onto a sheet of parchment paper and cut out 3x5 in squares(about the size of an index card). Bunch and knead together the excess/remaining piece of crust, roll out and repeat until you’ve used it all.
- On half of the cutout crusts spoon roughly 1½-2 tbsp of jam into the center of the rectangles, leaving lots of space from the edges.
- Lightly brush the edges with the soy milk mixture, place a second rectangle on top of each one, gently seal the edges together with your fingers, and crimp with a fork.
- Gently cut/slice a 2-3 slits on the top of each poptart to create a steam release, and brush with a light layer of the soy milk mixture. Repeat.
- Bake for about 10-12 minutes or until golden brown, and allow to cool on a wire cooling rack. Depending on your oven this can go quickly, so keep an eye on them.
- Meanwhile, whisk together powdered sugar, 2 tbsp soy milk, 2 tbsp jam and ½ tsp vanilla.
- When the poptarts are cooled completely, spread a light layer of icing over each pop tart, and top with any toppings you desire.
Are pop tarts vegan?
Pop tarts are not vegan. Many pop tarts have dairy, egg or even gelatin (in the icing) making most Pop Tarts unsuitable for vegans and vegetarians.
Hey welcome to The Edgy Veg – we veganize popular food recipes for vegans, plant-based diets, eco-conscious eaters & people who are trying to eat more plants over… y’know animals or their by-products. We hope you enjoy this tasty vegan recipe!
Want More Vegan Recipes?
Made this recipe? Let me know what you think by leaving a ★★★★★ star rating & comment below. It truly helps me & I really appreciate any support! Feel free to share your food photos on social and tag me @edgyveg so I don’t miss it!