Vegan Calamari Recipe
This vegan calamari recipe is made by turning king oyster mushrooms into calamari-looking rings and coated into seasoning to be deep-fried or pan-fried in under 30 mins!
Using a large round metal straw, cookie cutter or cake-pipping tip, you can make holes into king oyster mushrooms to create vegan calamari! You can serve them as an appetizer with a vegan aioli or add them to one of my easy vegan pasta dishes.
Related Recipe: 8+ Vegan Seafood Recipes
How To Make Vegan Calamari
Today I’m showing you how to make an easy vegan calamari recipe to impress vegan and non-vegan guests, or just cook them up for yourself for a fabulous dinner for one.
This bite-sized appetizer has a delicate texture similar to squid and when seasoned and fried, takes on a full calamari flavour!
Full Recipe Down Below
INGREDIENTS FOR CALAMARI (VEGAN):
- King Oyster Mushrooms
- Olive Oil
- Kombu (optional)
- Old Bay Seasoning
- Soy Milk
- Large round metal straw, cookie cutter or a cake piping tip
- Chef’s Knife
- Mixing Bowls
- Measuring Utensils
- Non-Stick Saucepan or Cast-Iron Skillet
- Deep Fryer or Deep Pan
- 10 king oyster mushrooms, sliced into ¼-inch slices
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 piece of kombu, optional
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup cornstarch
- ½ tsp old bay seasoning
- ½ cup unsweetened soy milk
- 1½ tsp vinegar
- vegetable oil, for frying
- 2 lemon wedges, as garnish
- dip sauce of choice
- Start by boiling water in a kettle or in a small saucepan. Then, use a ½-inch round metal straw, cookie cutter or a cake piping tip to make holes in the center of each mushroom, to create calamari-looking rings.
- Place the calamari mushroom rings to a small saucepan and cover the mushrooms in water and bring the water to a boil.
- Once boiling add 1 tbsp olive oil, ¼ tsp salt, and kombu.
- Add mushrooms and boil for 15 minutes, or until they are dark in colour and most of the water has dissolved. Remove from heat and let them cool.
- While calamari is boiling, combine the flour, cornstarch, and old bay seasoning together in a bowl. Pour half of the mixture into a second bowl.
- In a third bowl whisk together soy milk together with the vinegar and set aside for 5 minutes to create soy buttermilk.
- If using a deep fryer: heat frying oil to 350F.
- If using a deep pan: pour enough oil to measure 3 inches inside the pan and heat the oil over medium-high heat to 350F.
- When the oil is hot, dredge the mushrooms in the flour mixture and shake off any excess as you place them into the bowl with the soy buttermilk.
- Transfer them then to the second bowl of seasoned flour coating them, completely and place on a wire cooling rack.
- In batches, fry the calamari for 2-3 minutes or until golden brown on both sides, allowing the oil to return to 325F between batches.
- Transfer fried calamari to a wire cooking inside a baking sheet, to allow excess oil to drip.
- Serve with caper aioli, garlic aioli, or tartar sauce.
Hey welcome to The Edgy Veg – we veganize popular food recipes for vegans, plant-based diets, eco-conscious eaters & people who are trying to eat more plants over… y’know animals or their by-products. We hope you enjoy this tasty vegan recipe!
Want More Vegan Recipes?
Made this recipe? Let me know what you think by leaving a ★★★★★ star rating & comment below. It truly helps me & I really appreciate any support! Feel free to share your food photos on social and tag me @edgyveg so I don’t miss it!
Share My Recipe on Pinterest!
Leave a comment