I’m going to show you how to make vegan barbacoa (jackfruit tacos)!
What is Barbacoa? Barbacoa is all about slowly cooking meat with seasonings to fill in tacos, burritos, etc so to make vegan barbacoa, we are going to slowly cook jackfruit and make it taste SO GOOD. Slow-cooking does take time, so don’t be scared off by how long you have to slow cook for because trust me… these tacos are worth it!
Related Recipe: Vegan Steak Tacos
How To Make Vegan Barbacoa
Vegan barbacoa tacos are typically made with meaty ingredients, such as jackfruit or seitan, cooked in a flavorful, spicy sauce made with chili peppers, garlic, onion, cumin, and other seasonings. The meat substitute is slow-cooked until it becomes tender and flavorful, similar to the texture of traditional beef barbacoa.
The tacos are usually served on soft corn tortillas, topped with fresh cilantro, chopped onions, and a squeeze of lime juice. The flavor of the barbacoa is spicy, savoury and delicious. The texture of the jackfruit is chewy and satisfying, similar to the texture of shredded beef.
Overall, vegan barbacoa tacos are a delicious and satisfying plant-based alternative to traditional barbacoa tacos!
Full Recipe Down Below
INGREDIENTS FOR BARBACOA (VEGAN):
- Jackfruit (canned)
- Bouillon powder
- Two types of Peppers: Guajillo, Ancho, Pasilla, Arbol, etc.
- Chipotle pepper with sauce (canned)
- Bouillon cube
- Maple Syrup
- Oregano (Mexican or regular)
- Bay Leaf
- Pickled onion
- Vegan cheese
- Hot sauce
- Measuring Utensils
- Mixing Bowls
- Blender or food processor
- Saucepan (that’s oven-safe)
- 2 ½ tsp bouillon powder
- 1 lb (1 large can) jackfruit
- 1 chipotle pepper with sauce (canned)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 guajillo pepper (or other chili pepper of choice)
- 1 ancho pepper (or other chili pepper of choice)
- ½ cup water
- 1 tsp or 1 cube bouillon
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- ½ small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 1 tsp Mexican oregano (or regular oregano)
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and ground pepper to taste
- For Tacos:
- 4-6 corn or flour tortillas
- Fresh cilantro, chopped
- Chopped or pickled onion (link ours)
- Fresh or pickled jalapeno, sliced or chopped
- Crumbly white vegan cheese of choice
- chimichuri (link ours)
- Hot sauce
- Place the jackfruit into a colander/strainer and rinse well.
- Squeeze out as much liquid as possible and place into a small - medium sized pot with 1 tsp vegetable bouillon, and 2 cups water, or just enough to cover.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer. Simmer for 45 minutes, adding water as needed.
- Drain the jackfruit in a colander and rise well.
- Optional: For the best tasting jackfruit, I recommend placing the jackfruit back into the pot with 1 ½ tsp bouillon and 2 cups water, or just enough to cover. And bring to a boil again, reduce the heat and simmer for 45 minutes, adding water as needed. Drain and rise in a colander. The jackfruit should be very soft, and like pulled pork should come apart easily. Remove any seeds.
- Meanwhile, boil some water and remove the steams and seeds from the peppers (ex: guajillo and ancho) and place them into a bowl. Cover with boiling water and soak for 10-15 mins or until soft.
- Add the soaked peppers (reserve the watar) and chipotle peppers (with sauce) to a food processor and process until smooth, adding soaking water as needed.
- In a large bowl, break apart the cooked jackfruit and toss with the blended chilis.
- Add ½ cup soaking water, 1 tsp bouillon cube, onion, garlic, oregano, cumin, bay leaf and salt and pepper.
- In a large cast iron pan, heat 1 tbsp oil to medium-high heat.
- Add the jackfruit and marinade, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 25 minutes, and the jackfruit has absorbed all the sauce. Deglazing the pan as needed with vegetable stock if necessary.
- Preheat oven to 450F.
- Shred the jackfruit with 2 forks and transfer it to a well-oiled and lined baking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes, or until it is crisp and slightly charred on the edges.
- Finally, make your barbacoa tacos by serving the shredded jackfruit on lightly toasted tortillas, then top with your favorite toppings.
Hey welcome to The Edgy Veg – we veganize popular food recipes for vegans, plant-based diets, eco-conscious eaters & people who are trying to eat more plants over… y’know animals or their by-products. We hope you enjoy this tasty vegan recipe!
Want More Vegan Recipes?
Made this recipe? Let me know what you think by leaving a ★★★★★ star rating & comment below. It truly helps me & I really appreciate any support! Feel free to share your food photos on social and tag me @edgyveg so I don’t miss it!