Today we’re taking my Watermelon Sushi Tuna recipe to the next level, by making Spicy Watermelon Tuna Rolls! When you bake watermelon, it takes on a soft, fatty, light flavour and texture. This surprising mock-sushi ingredient is guaranteed to shock & impress your sushi-loving guests.
Feel free to share & print my recipe below to make your own Spicy Watermelon Tuna Rolls! Or you can watch me on YouTube show you how to make it!
Related Recipe: Watermelon Sushi Tuna
Hi, I’m Candice & welcome to The Edgy Veg! Where I try to veganize popular food for vegans, plant-based diets & people who are trying to eat more plants over animals. Vegan sushi can be so much more than cucumber and avocado rolls! This watermelon sushi fulfills a whole other craving. All you need to do is toss my watermelon sushi chunks (from this recipe) in the spicy mayo and turn them into rolls! This method really elevates this vegan sushi hack!
This recipe is part of my monthly #HACKED series that shows you vegan food hacks & cooking hacks to make life easier for you!
How To Make: Spicy Watermelon Tuna Rolls
Never miss a video by clicking here to Subscribe to my Channel
If you want to view or print the recipe card, just scroll down for the full list of ingredients & simple instructions on how to make this Watermelon Tuna Sushi recipe.
All you need to make this Watermelon tuna sushi recipe is sushi rice, vegan mayo, sriracha hot sauce, water, rice vinegar, Watermelon tuna (use my recipe), sesame oil, green onions, nori sheets, and white sesame seeds.
Recipe for Spicy Watermelon Tuna Rolls
First, make my watermelon sushi tuna recipe.
Then to make the rolls, you need to start by making the sushi rice. Rinse the rice until the water runs clear, then cook it in the rice cooker. Next, make the sriracha mayo by adding 1 tsp of sriracha sauce to 1 tbsp of vegan mayo and set it aside. Mix water and rice vinegar in a bowl and leave it next to your work station.
In a medium-sized bowl, mix the chunks of watermelon tuna, sriracha sauce, sesame oil, and about 1/3 of the sliced green onions. Toss to combine. Lay one sheet of nori, with the shiny side down, on a bamboo mat lined with plastic wrap. Wet your fingers in the vinegar water and spread a little less than 1/4 of your rice onto the nori sheet. Press and spread it out as flat and evenly as possible. Sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds and carefully flip over so the nori is facing up.
Carefully place about 1/4 of the watermelon tuna mixture along the edge of the nori sheet closest to you. Carefully grab the edge closest to you and carefully lift and roll the bamboo mat over the sushi roll, using your fingers to keep the filling in place and tightly roll forward. This takes LOTS of practice to achieve sushi chef perfection.
Using a very sharp knife, slice the roll in half, and cut each half into 3 even pieces. Wipe the knife on a clean kitchen towel between cuts and keep fingertips wet by dipping them in the vinegar water often to prevent sticking. Create rolls using the remaining ingredients, and cover the finished rolls to prevent them from dying out. To serve, place rolls on a plate with a dollop of sriracha mayo or sriracha sauce (or both) on each one and garnish with remaining green onion.
If you want more vegan recipes, click here for my newest recipes.
Save/Print/Share This Spicy Watermelon Tuna Rolls Recipe
- 2 cups sushi rice
- 2 cups water
- Rinse sushi rice thoroughly until the water runs clear.
- Cook the sushi rice in a rice cooker with water.
- Remove rice when finished and let cool.
- Combine mayo and Sriracha sauce and mix. Set Aside.
- Combine water and 1 Tbsp rice vinegar in a small bowl. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix to combine the watermelon tuna, 1 tbsp Sriracha sauce, sesame oil, and one third of the green onion. Set aside.
- Lay a sheet of nori, shiny side down, on a plastic wrap-lined bamboo mat. You want the rougher side to stick to the rice.
- Wet your fingers in the vinegar water you mixed, and spread one quarter to one third of the rice evenly onto nori sheet.
- Sprinkle with some sesame seeds.
- Turn the sheet of nori over so that the rice is facing down.
- Place one quarter to one third of the watermelon tuna mixture at the edge of the nori sheet closest to you.
- Grab the bottom edge of the bamboo mat (closest to you) keep the fillings in place with your fingers and roll tight. (This takes some practice).
- Lift the edge of the bamboo mat and with gentle pressure, roll it forward.
- Using a very sharp knife, and hand dipped in the vinegar mixture, cut the roll in half and then cut each half into 3 pieces.
- Wipe the knife between cuts, and wet fingers, to prevent sticking.
- Continue with remaining ingredients, covering the completed rolls with plastic wrap to prevent them from drying.
- When you’re finished, and ready to serve, place rolls on a plate, or serving tray and add a dollop of spicy mayo, or sriracha (or both) on top of each one and garnish with remaining green onion.
Click here for New Vegan Recipes from The Edgy Veg.
You guys must try this Spicy Watermelon Tuna Rolls recipe & let me know what you think! Once you try it, come back and leave me a comment below with your feedback and star rating! If you make this, let me see on social! Tag @edgyveg on your photo & add the hashtag #theedgyveg in your caption so I don’t miss it!
Pin this Spicy Watermelon Tuna Rolls Recipe to Pinterest
For more easy, delicious vegan recipes, check out the links below!