Easy vegan ramen made with soba noodles, homemade vegan miso broth, topped with fresh spinach, smoked tofu slices, green onions and sautéed mushrooms.
Traditional Japanese ramen can take a long time to prepare and an even longer time to perfect. While I LOVE ramen― the super umami, salt-forward, noodle soup loaded with veggies and protein ― I don’t always have the time to wait on a bowl of ramen that takes all day to simmer. So, I’ve come up with a quick and easy ramen soup recipe that’s easily customized to your taste buds and is perfect for a quick week day dinner (with leftovers for lunch, obviously). It’s the easiest ramen you will ever make in less than 30 min from start to finish. Plus, thanks to the soba noodles, smoked tofu and tons’o’veg, it’s much healthier than the takeout or resto version.
To make this easy vegan ramen all you have to do is, heat sesame oil in a medium saucepan over medium high heat and cook garlic and ginger until fragrant. Then add your veggie broth of choice- I like No-Chicken-style veggie broth- and bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, heat peanut oil in a large skillet over medium high heat and add mushrooms and smoked tofu and cook, stirring occasionally. I LOVE smoked tofu for this recipe because it’s easy, and you don’t need to marinate it like you would regular tofu.
To finish off the ramen broth, add soy sauce and wakame to the broth mixture and set aside. Now, cook your soba noodles in a large pot of salted boiling water, and divide between 4 bowls. Top with greens of choice, mushrooms, tofu, green onions and sprinkle with sesame seeds and chilies if you like it spicy.
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- ½ tsp ginger, grated
- 6 cups vegetable or vegan chicken-free broth
- ¼ cup soy sauce or tamari
- ¼ cup dried wakame or seaweed of choice
- 2 tbsp peanut oil
- 3 cups mushrooms of choice, sliced
- 1 block smoked tofu, sliced
- freshly ground black pepper
- 8 ounces soba noodles
- 3 cups greens, I like asian mix or spinach
- 4 green onions thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- Heat sesame oil in a medium saucepan over medium high heat and cook garlic and ginger until fragrant.
- Add broth, and bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat peanut oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.
- Add mushrooms and smoked tofu and cook, stirring occasionally. Cook tofu until heated through, about 5-10 mins, and mushrooms for 10-15 mins mins or until golden brown. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add soy sauce and wakame to the broth mixture and set aside.
- In a large pot of salted boiling water, cook soba noodles, stirring occasionally, until al dente.
- Drain noodles and divide between 4 bowls.
- Meanwhile, simmer the reserved broth.
- Divide greens between the bowls.
- Divide the broth between the bowls and top with mushrooms, tofu, green onions and sprinkle with sesame seeds.