This vegan steak tacos recipe only takes 22 mins to make and you can be topped with my vegan chimichurri sauce! To make vegan steak strips for the tacos, all you need is soy curls, boullion cube and seasonings to get an authentic steak strip look and taste. This recipe is loved by vegans & non-vegans.
Soy curls are an easy, shelf-stable vegan protein that easily transforms itself into steak-style taco filling. Top with fresh herbed chimichurri for a perfect meal.
Related Recipe: Vegan Chimichurri Sauce
Vegan Steak Tacos
MEAT-FREE & DAIRY-FREE
These tacos are inspired by South American cuisine. South American flavours are unlike other food from around the world. With distinct freshness and colour, foods from Argentina and Uruguay feed the soul with an unmistakable taste. I love South American foods when I want something from the grill paired with something fresh and easy.
INGREDIENTS FOR VEGAN STEAK TACOS:
- Soy Curls
- No-beef Bouillon Cube
- Garlic Powder
- Soy Sauce
- Vegan-friendly Worcestershire Sauce
- Olive oil
- Maple syrup
- Liquid smoke
- BBQ Sauce
- Sea Salt & Pepper
- Corn starch
- Vegan Chimichurri Sauce (homemade)
- Red Onion
- Vegan Feta Cheese
- 7-inch Corn or Flour Tortillas
KITCHEN EQUIPMENT I USED:
The vegan steak, paired with chimichurri and other toppings, is a perfect plant-based meal for any day of the week.
You can prepare the protein component of this recipe for easy weekly meal prep or serve dinner for a table full of friends or family.
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 4 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp vegan-friendly Worcestershire
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- ½ tsp liquid smoke
- 2 tbsp BBQ Sauce
- 1 tsp cumin
- sea salt& pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp corn starch
- In a large bowl, dissolve one bouillon cube into the hot water.
- Once it has dissolved, add the soy curls to the bowl. Ensure they are covered with the bouillon, and let them sit for 10 minutes. If you don't have enough liquid repeat step one.
- While your soy curls are soaking, make your marinade.
- To a second large bowl, add garlic powder, soy sauce, vegan Worcestershire, olive oil, maple syrup, liquid smoke, BBQ Sauce, and cumin, stir or whisk to combine.
- Remove the soy curls from the bowl and place it into a colander, squeezing to ensure they are no longer soaked.
- Measure out ½ a cup of your leftover bouillon broth and place it into the other large bowl with the marinade ¼ cup at a time, and stir to combine. Taste for the strength of choice.
- Add your soy curls and allow them to soak for 5-10 mins.
- After 5-10 mins, remove the soy curls from the bowl and place it into a bowl, again squeezing to remove any excess marinade.
- In a hot large pan or grill pan cook the soy curls until they are heated through and browned.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl with a fork combine corn starch with 1 tbsp of water until it's dissolved.
- Mix in a ¼ cup of the marinade/broth.
- When soy curls are browned, add the sauce we just made into the pan and stir until soy curls are totally coated, and the sauce has thickened.
- Build your tacos. Layer the soy curls and your toppings of choice. I love cilantro, red onion, vegan feta style cheese and smashed avocado on a corn or flour tortilla. Top with Chimichurri.
Looking For More Vegan Taco Recipes?
- Buffalo Cauliflower Tacos
- Jackfruit Pulled Pork Tacos
- Vegan Baja Fish Tacos
- Taco Bell Cheesy Gordita Crunch
Made this recipe? Let me know what you think by leaving a star rating & comment below. It truly helps me & I really appreciate any support! Feel free to share your food photos on social and tag me @edgyveg so I don’t miss it!