I’m going to show you how to make my easy vegan tuna melt recipe! This classic sandwich takes under 10 mins to make vegan using jackfruit, celery, onions, vegan mayo and few simple vegan ingredients that give it that authentic tuna melt taste (which non-vegans won’t even know the difference!)
All you have to do is make my jackfruit “tuna” salad, layer it on your toast, top with cheese and melt in the oven or toaster oven.
Related Recipe: Vegan Club Sandwich
Vegan Tuna Melt
DAIRY-FREE & VEGAN
Most vegan tuna melt recipes use chickpea tuna, but I discovered that jackfruit is one of the best substitutes to get a vegan tuna lookalike! Plus I always have canned jackfruit in my pantry.
Like most “tuna” salads, the flavour is best when it sits in the fridge for a few hours for flavours to absorb, but it is also delicious when enjoyed right away. Jackfruit gives this the best tuna salad texture and appearance and the chosen seasonings make it taste so much like the real thing!
Related Recipe: Vegan Seafood Recipes
INGREDIENTS FOR TUNA MELT (VEGAN):
- Red Onion
- Vegan Mayo
- Dijon Mustard
- Nori or Kelp Granules
- Black Pepper
- English Muffins, Bread, or Bagels
- Vegan Cheddar Cheese
KITCHEN EQUIPMENT I USED:
- 13 oz can or package of jackfruit in water or brine, drained and shredded
- 2 tablespoons minced celery
- 2 tablespoons minced red onion, tip: soak in cold water for 5 minutes and drain
- 1 teaspoon minced flat-leaf parsley
- ⅓ cup vegan mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp nori or kelp granules
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 English muffins, split, or 4 slices sourdough, rye, or whole wheat bread, or 2 bagels
- 2 tablespoons vegan mayonnaise (optional)
- vegan cheese (I used 1 cup of vegan shredded sharp cheddar)
- In a small mixing bowl break up the jackfruit with a fork. Toss in minced celery, onion, and parsley. Add the vegan mayonnaise, dijon mustard, nori or kelp, and season with pepper to taste. Stir to combine. Add lemon juice, if you want.
- Preheat the broiler and set the rack about 4 to 5 inches from the heat source.
- Toast your bagel, english muffins or slices of bread.
- Optionally, spread the toasted bagel, english muffin or bread with mayonnaise or vegan butter,.
- Next, top with the vegan tuna salad and then vegan cheese. Place on baking sheet and put under the broiler heat for 3 to 5 minutes, until the cheese has melted. Serve immediately.
Intead of bread, you can also top this vegan tuna salad on top of a fresh garden salad!
Hey I’m Candice aka The Edgy Veg – I veganize popular food recipes for vegans, plant-based diets, eco-conscious eaters & people who are trying to eat more plants over… y’know animals or their by-products. I hope you enjoy this tasty vegan recipe!
Looking For More Vegan Sandwich Recipes?
Made this recipe? Let me know what you think by leaving a ★★★★★ star rating & comment below. It truly helps me & I really appreciate any support! Feel free to share your food photos on social and tag me @edgyveg so I don’t miss it!
Share My Recipe on Pinterest!