This easy vegan chocolate cake is made using super simple ingredients that you probably already have in your kitchen!
This simple vegan chocolate cake is a staple for me when I need to throw something together for a birthday or other cake emergency. It’s so easy. Just throw it all together and bake for a perfect “fresh-baked” smell that invites guests into your home. No one will know this cake is vegan for those non-vegan guests.
Related Recipe: Vegan Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookies
VEGAN CHOCOLATE CAKE
DAIRY-FREE | EGG-FREE | GLUTEN-FREE OPTION
A slice of this cake is a slice of heaven. The rich chocolate flavour is heightened by the coffee and the apple sauce is a secret ingredient that leaves the final product moist and smooth. This chocolate cake recipe can also be made into cupcakes.
INGREDIENTS FOR VEGAN CHOCOLATE CAKE:
- All-Purpose Flour (Want Gluten-free chocolate cake? Use Gluten-Free flour)
- White Sugar
- Cocoa Powder
- Instant Coffee or Espresso Powder
- Baking Soda
- Baking Powder
- Vanilla Extract
- Coconut Oil or Oil of choice
- Apple Sauce, Avocado or Banana
- Apple Cider Vinegar or White Vinegar
- Plant-Based Milk of choice
- Store-Bought Chocolate Frosting
KITCHEN EQUIPMENT I USED:
- 2¼ cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1¾ cup white sugar
- 1 cup cocoa powder, sifted
- 1 tbsp instant coffee
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup coconut oil, melted or oil of choice
- ⅔ cup apple sauce, mashed avocado or mashed banana
- 1 tbsp apple cider or white vinegar
- 2 cups plant-based milk of choice
- Frosting of choice
- Preheat the oven to 350F, and grease and line 2 9-inch cake pans.
- In a large bowl, whisk together; flour, sugar, cocoa powder, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- In another bowl, combine; vanilla, oil, apple sauce, vinegar, and plant-based milk of choice.
- Gently, whisk together the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, being careful not to overmix.
- Evenly pour the cake batter into lined cake pans.
- Bake for roughly 30 mins, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in the pan for 10-15 mins, and then carefully place onto a greased wire cooling rack.
- To make cupcakes: bake for 22-24 mins.
- Allow your cakes, or cupcakes to cool completely before frosting.
- Many store-bought, pre-made frostings are accidentally vegan.
Hey, I’m Candice aka The Edgy Veg – I veganize popular food recipes for vegans, plant-based diets, eco-conscious eaters & people who are trying to eat more plants over… y’know animals or their by-products. I hope you enjoy this tasty vegan recipe!
Looking For More Vegan Dessert Recipes?
- Vegan Portuguese Custard Tarts
- Biscoff Banana Bread
- Vegan Dairy Queen Blizzard
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookies
- Easy Creamsicle Cake
Made this recipe? Let me know what you think by leaving a star rating & comment below. It truly helps me & I really appreciate any support! Feel free to share your food photos on social and tag me @edgyveg so I don’t miss it!