Spaghetti Aglio e Olio | Vegetarian & Vegan
This Spaghetti Aglio e Olio recipe is perfect for any vegetarian, vegan or dairy-free individuals who want a quick and delicious pasta meal. This recipe includes spaghetti, green peas, garlic, and seasonings that you can opt-out which makes it very kid-friendly!
I’m not going to lie… this is my absolute favoruite pasta I make at home when I want something simple and delicious to make. The recipe is designed for 1 serving so multiply the measurements based on how many people you are feeding. I’ve made this pasta recipe probably over 50 times when I’ve had to make a fresh and easy dinner for one. When I filmed my new What I Eat in a Day video, I made my Vegan Spaghetti Aglio e Olio and wanted to share the recipe with you all.
I love pasta. I could literally eat pasta every week (I usually do). This recipe is perfect if you need a meal for one or an easy spaghetti recipe to make in your household.
Related Recipe: One-Pot Rosé Pasta
SPAGHETTI AGLIO E OLIO
VEGAN | DAIRY-FREE | GLUTEN-FREE OPTION
Traditionally, spaghetti aglio e olio in Italy is usually cooked with just oil, garlic, and pasta with a topping of parmesan cheese, and maybe some parsley. So today, I’m going to show you my plant-based version with added peas, for extra protein, and my tasty mix of seasonings.
VEGAN SPAGHETTI AGLIO E OLIO INGREDIENTS
- Spaghetti (gluten-free optional)
- Green peas
- Red pepper flakes
- Salt and pepper
- Optional: Vegan parmesan or vegan cheese of choice (or nutritional yeast)
VEGAN SPAGHETTI AGLIO E OLIO INSTRUCTIONS:
1. To make this vegan Spaghetti Aglio e Olio, start by boiling a large pot of salted water. Add your spaghetti of choice (if gluten-free, find a GF pasta) and stir occasionally until al dente (9-12 mins).
2. While your pasta is cooking, sautée garlic in oil over medium-low heat in a medium to large pan. Moving constantly, cook until garlic is golden brown (about 10 mins). Set aside when done.
TIP: Cook your garlic and oil at the same time (instead of letting the oil heat up first, then adding garlic). This allows the garlic more time with the oil to infuse. If you like spice, feel free to add chili flakes on top. When cooking, wait until golden brown. If the garlic is too light, you won’t get a full and robust flavour, and if it’s too dark it will get bitter. So keep an eye on it.
3. During the last 2 minutes of your pasta cooking, add peas into the pot to cook.
4. When pasta and peas are cooked, reserve 1/2 cup of the cooking water, and then drain the rest of the water and transfer pasta and peas into your pan with garlic.
5. While you cook your pasta with your garlic, add 1 tbsp of the reserved water. Add chili flakes to the pan (if desired).
6. Sprinkle parsley and half of the vegan cheese, or nutritional yeast (if you don’t have vegan cheese); mix until combined and your cheese substitute is mixed in well.
7. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
8. Serve pasta topped with more parsley and or vegan cheese like vegan parmesan.
FULL RECIPE DOWN BELOW
Hey, I’m Candice & welcome to The Edgy Veg! I veganize popular food recipes for vegans, plant-based diets, eco-conscious eaters & people who are trying to eat more plants over… y’know animals or by-products of animals. I hope you enjoy this tasty vegan recipe!
LOOKING FOR MORE PASTA RECIPES?
Vegan Spaghetti Aglio E Olio Recipe
- 2oz dried spaghetti
- ¼ cup green peas
- 3 clovesgarlic, minced
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- pinch red pepper flakes (optional for spicy)
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp fresh Italian parsley, chopped
- ¼ cup vegan parmesan, or 1bsp of nutritional yeast
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boil. Add spaghetti, and cook, stirring occasionally until al dente, about 9-12 mins.
- During the last 2 minutes add peas.
- Reserve ½ cup of the cooking water, drain pasta and transfer to a bowl.
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil and garlic in a medium to a large pan, over medium-low heat, cook, moving constantly, for about 10 mins, or until garlic is golden brown. Set aside.
- NOTE: If the garlic is too light, you won't get a full and robust flavour, and if it's too dark it will get bitter. So keep an eye on it.
- Add the cooked spaghetti and peas, 1 tbsp of the reserved cooking water, and chili flakes to the skillet and toss it in the oil.
- Sprinkle Italian parsley and half of the vegan cheese, or nutritional yeast (if using); mix until combined and cheese is melted.
- Taste and season with salt and pepper.
- Serve pasta topped with a sprinkle of parsley and vegan cheese.
If you make this Vegan Spaghetti Aglio E Olio recipe, let me know what you think by leaving a star rating & comment below. It truly helps me & I really appreciate any support! Feel free to share your food creation on social and tag me @edgyveg on your photo so I don’t miss it!
Leave a comment