This one time, Chance the Rapper tweeted that he wanted Wendy’s spicy chicken nuggets to return so Wendy’s brought them back. Who knew he had so much say in the fast-food community! So I thought to myself, “What better time than now to create a VEGAN version!?”
Feel free to share & print my recipe below to make your own Wendy’s Spicy Chicken Nuggets! Or you can watch me on YouTube show you how to make it!
Related Recipe: Wendy’s S’Awesome Sauce Recipe
Hi, I’m Candice & welcome to The Edgy Veg! Where I try to veganize popular food for vegans, plant-based diets, eco-conscious eaters & people who are trying to eat more plants over… y’know animals or by-products of animals.
This vegan version of Wendy’s Spicy Chicken Nuggets is essentially a delicious marinated tofu, covered in a slightly spicy, crunchy coating that is fried to crispy perfection. Yup, perfection. These vegan chicken nuggets make for an easy and tasty snack or meal. Try them with a twist, and do them up buffalo style, with a spicy sauce, and side of ranch dip. Or, try my recipe for Wendy’s S’Awesome Sauce that’s usually served with these Wendy’s nuggets.
How To Make: Wendy’s Spicy Chicken Nuggets
Never miss a video by clicking here to Subscribe to my Channel
If you want to view or print the recipe card, just scroll down for the full list of ingredients & simple instructions on how to make this Spicy Chicken Nuggets recipe.
Related Recipe: Buffalo Cauliflower Wings
Ingredients for Wendy’s Spicy Chicken Nuggets Recipe
To make my version of Wendy’s Spicy Chicken Nuggets, you just need:
- Firm Tofu
- Double strength chicken-style vegetable broth
- all-purpose flour
- onion powder
- garlic powder
- cayenne powder
- salt & black pepper
- egg replacer
- Franks Hot Sauce
- Canola oil
HACK IT: The best way to make the nugget form is to press your tofu for about 2 hours to get it nice and dry. Then you’ll want to tear the tofu into nugget shapes, as opposed to cutting the tofu into square pieces.
Save/Print This Vegan Spicy Chicken Nuggets Recipe
- 2 blocks extra firm tofu, pressed & torn into bite-sized nuggets
- 2 cups double strength no chicken, chicken-style vegetable broth
- 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp cayenne powder
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 5 eggs worth of egg replacer, prepared (I used The Vegg baking formula)
- ⅓ cup Franks Hot Sauce
- Canola oil, for frying
- Place tofu nuggets into a bowl and add chicken-style broth. Turn to coat each piece of tofu completely and let stand at least 15 minutes or cover and refrigerate up to 2 days.
- In a medium shallow bowl, whisk together flour, breadcrumbs, onion powder, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper. Set Aside.
- Whisk together egg replacer and Franks Hot sauce.
- Dredge the tofu by removing each piece from the broth marinade and dip into the seasoned flour.
- Dip it into the egg replacer mixture, and once more into the seasoned flour.
- Place the dredged tofu on a wire rack, and continue until you’ve dredged all your tofu.
- Heat up your oil to 365F, and line a baking sheet, as the tofu rests.
- Carefully lower the tofu into the hot oil, cooking it in batches.
- Fry until golden brown, and heated through, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove the tofu from the oil and place on a clean wire rack, set over a lined- baking sheet. Repeat until you have cooked all the tofu.
- Serve with your choice of dipping sauces: vegan ranch, creamy Sriracha(recipe below), BBQ, Sweet & Sour, Maple Mustard, Habanero Ranch, or Side of S’Awesome sauce.
Preheat the oven to 400 F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a baking mat.
Place dredged tofu on the prepared baking sheet with parchment paper and bake for 15 mins, flip, and bake for another 15 more minutes, or until golden.
Click here for New Vegan Recipes from The Edgy Veg.
You guys must try this Wendy’s Spicy Chicken Nuggets recipe & let me know what you think! Once you try it, come back and leave me a comment below with your feedback and star rating! If you make this, let me see on social! Tag @edgyveg on your photo & add the hashtag #theedgyveg in your caption so I don’t miss it!
For more easy, delicious vegan recipes, check out the links below!
- Wendy’s S’Awesome Sauce Recipe
- Making Tofu Taste Like Chicken
- Honey Mustard Dipping Sauce
- Vegan Dill Dip
- Vegan Tartar Sauce
- Smoked Paprika Aioli
- Vegan Buffalo Sauce
Pin this Spicy Chicken Nuggets Recipe to Pinterest