Who doesn’t love an ice cream sandwich on hot summer day? My favourite summer days are the ones I spend making homemade vegan ice cream and eating it right out of the ice cream maker, or between two cookies, waffles, or as a sundae. But on this particular day, I wanted a treat that made me feel like a big kid, with the perfect hint of adult sophistication- for, you know, Instagram and stuff.
So adult waffle ice cream sandwiches it was. Sure, you can use pre-made toaster waffles, or even whatever waffle batter you have come to love over the years, but a) that’s lazy, and b) BORING! I wanted these waffles to enhance the ice cream, not just provide it with a platform to sit on.
So, I took my inspiration from the always-loved, ever-so-old-fashioned waffle cone. What entices me to always ask for a waffle cone is the sweet yet buttery, crispy bite I get, slathered in dripping ice cream once I hit the end of my cone. But what if I could create that grand finale, and make it part of the entire ice cream eating experience from beginning to end?! …And that my friends, is what I did. Forget your Grandmas waffles, these are the only waffles that should be used as an ice cream cushion.
- ⅔ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ tsp pink salt
- 2 eggs worth of egg replacer (I like The Vegg)
- ½ cup organic sugar
- 4 Tbsp vegan butter, melted
- ¼ cup almond or soy milk
- Preheat a waffle maker on high.
- In a small bowl, sift together the flour and salt.
- In another bowl (or your mixer), whisk/mix together egg replacer and sugar until well incorporated.
- Add the flour mixture and stir until well combined.
- Add vegan butter and non-dairy milk and stir until mixed. Do not over-mix.
- Option 1: For smaller, sandwiches, spoon batter onto the waffle-cone maker, about 2 tbsp per corner.
- Option 2: For full size waffle sandwiches, Pour ¾ of a cup of batter into the waffle maker, and cut into sections when cooked.
- Close the lid and cook for at least 1 minute before lifting the lid to check baking. Continue cooking until the desired color is reached, depending on your waffle maker this can take between 7-15 minutes, so check them every 3-5 minutes.
- Remove the waffle from the waffle maker and set on a cooling rack until completely cooled.
- Repeat with the remaining batter.
- When waffles are cooled sandwich your favourite vegan ice cream between 2 waffles and enjoy.
Check out my favourite vegan ice cream recipes!