I used to hate mint things. In my opinion mint was reserved for chewing gum and toothpaste. BUT one day, when I was a young lass, I was at a girlfriend’s doing teenager things, and she gave me some mint chip ice cream. I was shocked! There is something so different and beautiful about mint chip ice cream, it is nothing like other mint-chocolate treats I have ever had.
Well, it instantly became my favorite flavor of ice cream, and after I went vegan of course I couldn’t find a vegan version that I enjoyed. Nothing was as creamy as the real thing. This meant, as it usually does, that I had to come up with my own version of this minty treat.
So I went to work. I combined all the creamiest vegan ingredients I could think of, and good golly did I come up with the creamiest, mint-iest, dairy-free ice cream in all the land! I hope you love it as much as I do!
- 2 cups full-fat coconut milk, chilled and divided from water
- ¾ cup sugar
- small pinch of salt
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked 4-6 hours, and rinsed well
- ½ cup almond milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 ½- 2 tsp mint extract
- ½ -1 cup mini chocolate chips
- 5 leaves of fresh mint
- 3-5 leaves of spinach for green colour (optional)
- In a high-speed blender combine cashews and almond milk and blend until you teach a thick and creamy consistency.
- Add coconut milk and remaining ingredients (except chocolate chips) to the blender (adding half the mint extract) and mix until very smooth and creamy.
- Add more mint to taste.
- After the ice cream mixture is well combined, add it to your ice cream maker and mix according to instructions.
- Halfway through the process, slowly add your chocolate chips.
- Once you have creamy frozen ice cream, serve right away, or add it to an airtight container and return to the freezer and allow at least 2 hours for the ice cream to harden completely.
Love ice cream, and want more dairy-free ice cream recipes? Check out these other ice cream recipes below:
Like videos? Watch me make ice cream below!