I have a confession to make. I am totally addicted to making my own ice cream. There is absolutely nothing more rewarding.
Firstly, you have the ability to use only simple, whole ingredients without any chemical additives and can tailor ice cream to your dietary preference. Plus you add whatever YOU want. Today, I decided I wanted Chocolate chip cookie dough.
Secondly, this is the richest, creamiest, most heavenly vegan ice cream I have ever had. I might be a bit biased here, but I honestly can’t find a vegan ice cream that I like better than my own. There I said it.
It may look like work, but at the end of the day, it still takes less time than hopping in your car and going to the health food store 😉
The problem with traditional cookie dough ice cream is the raw dough. Non-vegan cookie dough has raw egg in it, and can be unsafe. But, you are a smart little veggie and you don’t eat eggs, so this will never be an issue for you again. See, life is better vegan!
I have shared with you a quick vegan cookie dough recipe suitable for this ice cream, but you can use your favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe.
Candice Tip: Use half the cookie dough for the ice cream, and bake the other half for ice cream sandwiches!!
- COOKIE DOUGH
- 1⅛ cup flour
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup vegan butter
- ¼ cup +2 tbsp brown sugar
- ¼ cup +2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ¾ cups vegan chocolate chips
- 2 cups full-fat coconut milk, chilled and divided from water
- ¾ cup white sugar
- small pinch of salt
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked 4-6 hours, and rinsed well
- ½ cup soy milk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- In a large bowl mix the first 7 ingredients, until well mixed, and looking like cookie dough.
- Form into little chuncks/balls and place into the freezer.
- Meanwhile-In a high-speed blender combine cashews and soy milk and blend until you reach a thick and creamy consistency.
- Add coconut milk and remaining ingredients to the and mix until very smooth and creamy.
- Transfer the ice cream mix to your ice cream maker and mix according to instructions.
- Halfway through the process, slowly add your cookie dough.
- Once you have ice cream, serve right away, or add it to an airtight container and return to the freezer and allow at least 2 hours for the ice cream to harden completely.
Check out this video below and learn how to make your own vegan ice cream at home!