I’m going to show you how to make an easy vegan Japanese Egg Salad to use in a sandwich, also called Tamago Sando! For this recipe, I’ll show you how to make vegan egg yolks to use for a Japanese-style egg salad!
All you need is ackee, olive oil, nutritional yeast, black salt (for eggy flavour), soy milk, vegan butter, tofu and vegan kewpie mayo (Japanese Mayo). If you don’t have store-bought vegan kewpie mayonnaise, you can easily make it using vegan mayo! I’ll leave my recipe for it below!
Related Recipe: Vegan Kewpie Mayo
How To Make Vegan Japanese Egg Salad
This vegan Japanese egg salad recipe is super egg and creamy, much creamier than regular egg salad. To make a Japanese egg salad sandwich, called Tamago Sando, you’ll need vegan Japanese milk bread. If you can’t find a vegan one in-store, there are recipes online to make vegan milk bread!
To make the vegan egg yolks, you’ll want to boil 1/2 cup of ackee for about 10 mins or until tender. Then blend the ackee in a blender with 2 tbsp olive oil, nutritional yeast and black salt. Puree all these ingredients until well combined. Add 1 tbsp of water at a time until you get the yolk-like texture and consistency that you prefer.
Now make your vegan Japanese egg salad! Mix in your vegan egg yolks with vegan kewpie mayo until combined! Cube 1/2 block of soft tofu and 1/2 block of medium tofu and fold into the vegan egg yolk and mayo mixture. and coat the tofu. Please in the fridge to chill. And voila! Vegan Japanese egg salad that you can serve whenever you want! Taste and season the tofu egg salad mixture with black pepper and serve on your vegan Japanese milk bread, sliced with vegan butter over one side of each bread slice. Traditionally, a Japanese egg salad sandwich trims off the discarded crust and the sandwich is cut in half diagonally so you have 2 triangles.
Full Recipe Down Below
INGREDIENTS FOR JAPANESE EGG SALAD (VEGAN):
- Olive Oil
- Nutritional Yeast
- Black Salt
- Soft Tofu
- Medium Tofu
- Vegan Kewpie Mayo
- Vegan Mayo
- Measuring Utensils
- Mixing Bowl
- ½ cup ackee
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- ½ tsp Black salt
- Water or soy milk, as needed
- 3 tbsp - ¼ cup vegan mayo
- ¼ tsp MSG
- ¼ tsp sugar
- ½ block soft tofu, cubed
- ½ block medium tofu, cubed
- Black pepper to taste
- Salted vegan butter
- Japanese milk bread
- Begin by making your vegan egg yolks. Bring a small saucepan of salted water to a boil. Add ackee and boil for about 10 minutes or until tender.
- Transfer the ackee to a blender with 2 tbsp olive oil, nutritional yeast and black salt.
- Puree all ingredients till well combined. Add 1 tbsp of water at a time, until you get a yolk-like texture.
- whisk together vegan mayo, MSG, and sugar.
- Add ackee yolks as needed, and stir to combine.
- Gently fold in the cubed tofu until just coated and place into the fridge to chill.
- When ready to serve; taste and season the tofu mixture with black pepper.
- Spread butter evenly over one side of each bread slice.
- Top 1 slice, butter side up, with the tofu egg salad.
- Cover with a second bread slice, butter side down.
- Trim off and discard crust and cut sandwich in half diagonally so you have 2 triangles.
Hey welcome to The Edgy Veg – we veganize popular food recipes for vegans, plant-based diets, eco-conscious eaters & people who are trying to eat more plants over… y’know animals or their by-products. We hope you enjoy this tasty vegan recipe!
Want More Vegan Recipes?
Made this recipe? Let me know what you think by leaving a ★★★★★ star rating & comment below. It truly helps me & I really appreciate any support! Feel free to share your food photos on social and tag me @edgyveg so I don’t miss it!
Leave a comment