I’m going to show you how to make a vegan Monte Cristo in 11 mins! This recipe is a classic french toast “ham & cheese” Monte Cristo sandwich but made vegan! This vegan ham and cheese sandwich is typically made with mustard and jam that is dipped in an egg mixture and fried. Using some simple vegan swaps, I can make a vegan Monte Cristo with all of the flavours of the classic Monte Cristo.
Related Recipe: Vegan Monte Cristo Pancakes
Vegan Monte Cristo
I’ve been on such a french toast recipe kick lately, and a vegan Monte Cristo is such a good flavour combination that I haven’t seen much in the vegan world. So I decided to make some simple swaps to make my vegan version of a classic Monte Cristo sandwich.
All you need to do to make a vegan Monte Cristo is add all batter ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth, then assemble your sandwich (mustard, jam vegan cheese, vegan ham, and veggie bacon or turkey) and then quickly dip the sandwich into the mixture, then fry in a pan with vegan butter until cooked and golden.
Related Post: Vegan French Toast Sausage Roll-Ups
INGREDIENTS FOR MONTE CRISTO (VEGAN):
- Medium Tofu
- Unsweetened Soy Milk
- Nutritional Yeast
- Black Salt/Kala Namak
- White Bread
- White Vegan Cheese (Mozzarella, Swiss or Provolone-Style)
- Vegan Bacon, Ham or Turkey
- Raspberry, Blueberry, or Currant Jam or Preserve
- Vegan Butter
- Powdered Sugar
- Extra Jam or Preserve
KITCHEN EQUIPMENT I USED:
Full Recipe Down Below
- ½ cup medium tofu
- 2 tbsp-1/4 cup unsweetened soy milk
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- ½-1 tsp black salt/Kala namak
- 8 slices of bread
- 8 slices ofwhite vegan cheese like mozzarella-style, swizz-style or provolone-style
- 12 slices of vegan bacon, or vegan ham or vegan turkey
- ¼ cup mustard (the style is your choice)
- ¼ cup raspberry, blueberry, or currant jam or preserve
- 2 tbsp vegan butter or margarine
- powdered sugar
- extra jam or preserve
- To a high-speed blender, add tofu, soy milk, nutritional yeast, and Kala namak, and blend until smooth and creamy. Transfer to a shallow bowl or casserole dish.
- Spread mustard onto 4 slices of bread, and jam or preserve onto one side of 4 other slices of bread.
- Now layer onto the mustard-smeared bread: cheese, followed by the vegan meat of choice, and the remaining slice of bread, jam side down.
- Press the sandwich slightly to flatten it a bit.
- Heat 1-2 tbsp vegan butter in a large skillet over medium heat.
- One at a time, quickly dip the entire sandwich into tofu mixture, then immediately place in skillet. Press the sandwich with a spatula flipper, and cook for 3-4 minutes or until browned.
- Flip and cook the other side, pressing for 3-4 minutes, or until cheese is melted and bread is golden brown.
- Slice and serve, with powdered sugar (if desired), and extra jam on the side if desired if you're so inclined.
Hey I’m Candice aka The Edgy Veg – I veganize popular food recipes for vegans, plant-based diets, eco-conscious eaters & people who are trying to eat more plants over… y’know animals or their by-products. I hope you enjoy this tasty vegan recipe!
Looking For More Vegan Brunch Recipes?
Made this recipe? Let me know what you think by leaving a ★★★★★ star rating & comment below. It truly helps me & I really appreciate any support! Feel free to share your food photos on social and tag me @edgyveg so I don’t miss it!