This easy grain-free dog cake recipe is perfect for dog owners that want a gluten-free dog-friendly cake. It’s perfect for any special occasion (like a dog’s birthday) when you want to treat your pup! It also freezable (to make it last longer). holds up well in the freezer! Just defrost to treat your fuzzy pal any time.
We made this dog cake grain-free for our two adopted dogs on their adoption anniversary 🙂 They loved it! In just 1 hour, you can make this easy gluten-free, grain-free dessert for your dog or dogs. It’s simple, sweet & they will love you for it!
Related Recipe: Dog-friendly Birthday Cake
Grain-Free Dog Cake
GLUTEN-FREE & PLANT-BASED
This 1-hour dog cake is great to enjoy when you need a homemade treat for your fur babies. This cake doesn’t use flour, sugar or oil, making it safe for dogs to eat. It uses common pantry ingredients and you can add any dog treats of your choice.
If you don’t have oat flour, you can easily make it by blending your desired measurement in oats at high speed for about 30 seconds until you have a finely milled flour.
*Please note that this cake is meant for dog consumption and is not intended to be tasty for humans. Please do not over-feed your dog, only give small pieces at a time and speak to your veterinarian to learn what is best for your pet.
INGREDIENTS FOR DOG CAKE (GRAIN-FREE):
- Gluten-Free Oat Flour (you can blend oats to make milled oat flour too)
- Chickpea Flour
- Brown Rice Flour
- Baking Soda
- Baking Powder
- Flaxseed (Ground)
- Maple Syrup
- Applesauce (Unsweetened)
- Peanut Butter (100% Natural Unsweetened)
- Plant-based Milk (Unsweetened)
- Apple Cider Vinegar
Dog Cake Frosting:
Optional: Cake & Frosting Colouring
- Dried Beet Powder, for natural pink colour
- Spirulina Powder, for natural green colour
- Blue Majik Powder, for natural blue colour
KITCHEN EQUIPMENT I USED:
- Measuring Utensils
- Mixing Bowls
- 6-inch Cake Pan or Springform Pan
- Stand Mixer or Hand Mixer
- Cooling Rack
- ½ cup gluten-free oat flour
- ½ cup chickpea flour
- 1 cup brown rice flour
- 2 tspbaking soda
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tbsp ground flaxseed mixed with 6 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- ⅔ cup grated carrot
- 1 banana, mashed
- ¼ cup unsweetened applesauce
- ½ cup 100% natural unsweetened peanut butter
- ½ cup unsweetened plant-based milk of choice
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Grease one 6 inch cake pan with a bit of coconut oil or vegan butter and line with parchment; set aside.
- In a large bowl or stand mixer, whisk together oat flour, chickpea flour, brown rice flour, baking soda, baking powder, and cinnamon; set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk or beat together prepared flaxseed, maple syrup, shredded carrot, banana, applesauce, peanut butter, plant milk, and vinegar.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet and whisk or beat to combine.
- Pour cake batter into the prepared cake pan and spread to even out the top.
- Bake for 60-80 mins, checking after 60 mins with a toothpick. If the toothpick or tester does not come out clean, check every 10 mins until it comes out mostly clean.
- Meanwhile, in a stand mixer or a medium-size bowl with a hand mixer, cream together coconut yogurt, peanut butter, corn starch, and natural colouring of choice until smooth. Place in the fridge to thicken.
- Remove cake pan from the oven and place on a cooling rack. Let it sit in the pan for 15 mins.
- Remove the springform or flip the cake onto the cooling rack and allow it to cool completely.
- Frost cake when completely cooled, and decorate with treats of choice.
Hey I’m Candice aka The Edgy Veg – I veganize popular food recipes for vegans, plant-based diets, eco-conscious eaters & people who are trying to eat more plants over… y’know animals or their by-products. I hope you enjoy this tasty vegan recipe!
Looking For Easy Vegan Dessert Recipes (for humans)?
Made this recipe? Let me know what you think by leaving a ★★★★★ star rating & comment below. It truly helps me & I really appreciate any support! Feel free to share your food photos on social and tag me @edgyveg so I don’t miss it!
Share My Recipe on Pinterest!