Easy Seitan Steak

Seitan is a magical food that can be easily created into your favourite pre vegan meatlike dishes! It easily mocks the texture of chicken, beef, porc etc. And Guess what?! It’s a protein powerhouse!!! Just a few recipe switch ups and a couple key, flavourful ingredients and BAM! you have vegan steak, or chickUN Kiev, or my personal favourite —Philly cheese steak sammies. Mmmmm Yeah, I went there. I have posted my basic seitan steak recipe below and have also made a general seitan video for all you visual learners as well!

You’re welcome!!

Easy Seitan Steak

You’re welcome!!
Recipe type: Vegetarian Basics
Cuisine: Vegan
Serves: 4
Dry ingredients
  • 1½ cup vital wheat gluten
  • ¼ cup nutritional yeast
  • ½ cup garbonzo bean powder (or chick pea flour)
  • 2 tbsp brown sugar
  • ½ tbsp garlic powder
  • ½ tbsp onion powder
  • ½ tsp turmeric
Wet ingredients
  • 1 cup vegetable stock
  • 1 tbsp soy sauce
  • ¼ cup organic ketchup or BBQ sauce ( or both!)
  • 1 tsp liquid smoke
  • ½ tsp thyme
  • 1 tbsp soy sauce
  • 1 tbsp molasses
  • ¼ cup BBQ Sauce
  • 3 tbsp Dijon mustard
  • 2 cups water
  1. Mix all dry ingredients and set aside.
  2. In a large bowl, mix together all wet ingredients and whisk until well combined.
  3. Slowly pour wet ingredients into dry and knead with your hands. The mixture should be dough like, not overly sticky. Knead well.
  4. Form two “logs” with the mixture and let them sit on the preheating oven for 5 to 10 minutes.
  5. Mix together your stock in a large bowl.
  6. Place “logs” into a deep casserole dish and cover with your stock.
  7. Cover dish and place in oven 350 for 1 hour.
  8. Flip seitan and continue to cook for ½ hour uncovered. If it is still soft, then cook for another 15 – 20 minutes.
  9. Remove from pan and set aside to cool.
Turkey Seitan vegan

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJO71ZRNOBU&w=560&h=315]

• Katie says:

Love this recipe . I have made it a few times as is and a few times with varied ingredients to make a “ham” … my husband loves seitan… he wants me to make this every week!

• Jodie Hart says:

I would like to roll this out like gnocchi and cut to make steak bites. Will this affect the cooking time?

• Sophia says:

Hi
    I absolutely LOVE your recipes (esp the Chick-fil-A) sandwich!! I’ve been trying to figure out how to modify either the steak recipe or the Chick Fil A recipe to make “burgers” at home b/c the Beyond Meat has canola which I’m allergic to and the other burger alternatives have soy which I’m also allergic to :/

I would absolutely love any suggestions you have on how I can modify one of your recipes to make burgers..

• Zoe says:

Whoops! Forgot to rate 🙈

• Zoe says:

I made this last week for my meat-eating husband and my vegan self. We both absolutely loved it. I boiled my steaks for slightly longer than stated but otherwise followed the recipe to a T. (The other benefit of the extra simmering was an incredible, thick gravy to serve alongside)
    I’ll definitely make this again. Thank you so much!

• Celine says:

The recipe calls for “vegetable stock” twice: “1 cup vegetable stock” and “1 1/2 cup vegetable stock. ” Is this correct?

I am eager to try this making this recipe because: 1) I have nearly all the ingredients at hand and 2) I opened, last night, a carton of seitan — from a well-known company — and it was the most awful seitan I’ve ever tasted! It had a gritty, spongy consistency with a tree bark-like flavor. I’m a big proponent of not throwing out food… but that carton of seitan might be my exception!

• kath says:

this is incredible!! even my carni boyfriend loves it! just a note, may be worth specifying which temperature scale you’re talking – I very nearly nuked this because I wasn’t thinking it may be in farenheit until I proper thought about it…

Hey Kath! So glad to hear your boyfriend loved the recipe! It always feels so good to prove to people how good vegan food can be. I will be sure to specify that the cooking temperatures stated are in Fahrenheit.

• Craig says:

Please help, I attempted this recipe yesterday and it came out wrong. It’s made a very nice spreadable Pate though. I mixed all the dry ingredients together then I poured in ALL of the wet ingredients like the recipe states including the 1 cup of veg stock plus 1.5 cups of veg stock plus 2 cups of water. Obviously this was far too wet. Please clarify… do I add the 2 cups of water to the dry mix, cook the logs THEN add 2.5 cups of veg stock?
    Thanks.

Hi Craig! I am so sorry that happened to you! I’m glad you got a great pate out of it though! Seitan is a tough recipe to execute and does take some time to master. Here is what you need to do: mix the dry ingredients, then separately mix the wet ingredients, then add the two together to create a dough. Then mix your stock and cook the dough in the stock. Where you went wrong is you mixed 1 1/2 cups of vegetable broth to the dough, so you added too much vegetable stock. You added the broth to the dough which made it too watery. The recipe is broken down into sections.

• butch says:

long list of ingredients some don’t have time for .

Thanks for the information.

• Jaclyn says:

What do I do with the broth that the seitan was cooked in? Use it to top the steak?

• Natalie says:

Hi I was wondering if you could help me understand seitan a little. I made your minuets (awesome) and I made this (seasonings different) and they were both delicious but the nugget one had tahini, is the tahini for flavour or texture? Whay difference does oil make in the seitan? I’ve got your book on preordered. Can’t wait for it to arrive!!!

• Rob says:

I made this recipe today and I have to say it’s good! I have to say the only thing I find is that it is too sweet. What would you recommend to lessen that? I was thinking omitting the brown sugar in the dry ingredients (it’s being used in the stock), maybe the ketchup is too much… what do you think?

• Lauren says:

If you make a lot of it is it possible to store some for later? What is the best way to store it and how long will it last?

• Natalie says:

I left this in the fridge for a little over 2 weeks. (I wouldn’t necessarily recommend this) but j just ate some. I’m not dead yet. If I die I’ll come haunt you

• Jenny says:

Can I use white corn flour or some lentil flour in place of the chickpea flour?

• Angela says:

Can I use regular unbleached flour? Chickpea flour has been difficult to find.

• leah says:

What can u use as a substitute for the chickpea flour?… My seitan usually comes out with holes throughout what am I doing wrong?